Retired
Country flag

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
My car has been on chip hold since early October. So yea, you could say that the MME is not immune to the shortage.

I assume that because these are customer ordered cars they won't ship with missing tech. If Ford tried to do that (beyond maybe something similar to Tesla with a relatively easy to install later missing USB port), I think there would be *MAJOR* backlash. Especially on a new car model like the MME.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No, has nothing to do with customer ordered cars or not. Ford briefly considered shipping to dealers without chips, and then decided against that, because the dealer network didn't want the financial hit of vehicles that couldn't be sold. Never would they go to customers incomplete.

The chips are by in large simple ones, i.e. seatbelt, etc.

OP
OP
Jim Glass

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My car has been on chip hold since early October. So yea, you could say that the MME is not immune to the shortage.

I assume that because these are customer ordered cars they won't ship with missing tech. If Ford tried to do that (beyond maybe something similar to Tesla with a relatively easy to install later missing USB port), I think there would be *MAJOR* backlash. Especially on a new car model like the MME.
It seems from a number of articles I've read that one "fungible" option is heated seats. But that is a more critical option for the Mach E since it warms but conserves energy.

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It seems from a number of articles I've read that one "fungible" option is heated seats. But that is a more critical option for the Mach E since it warms but conserves energy.
Yea I would be pissed if my car shipped without promised heated seats. Especially since I'll likely be taking delivery in the winter with already reduced range. And range is a major factor in why I'm buying this car with the ER battery vs the SR battery. I would expect to be majorly compensated for something like that. Especially since I'm already on a "chip hold" for so long and forced to keep driving my old, starting to malfunction more and more ICE car for longer than expected.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
MME was not hit by chip holds until June. As of today Ford still hasn't delivered some vehicles that went off the assembly line in July, as they are still rolling into Kansas City. Chip hold is only responsible for part of the delay though, poor management of logistics is responsible for the rest - there are cars that were delayed by 8 weeks due to chip hold, then sat for 7 more weeks (after the chip hold was over and the vehicles marked as "shipped") before leaving Mexico.

The day when I placed the order there was snow on the ground; when I take deliver in December there may be snow on the ground again - ten months from order to delivery.

drironman

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Veterinarian
Country flag
MME was not hit by chip holds until June. As of today Ford still hasn't delivered some vehicles that went off the assembly line in July, as they are still rolling into Kansas City. Chip hold is only responsible for part of the delay though, poor management of logistics is responsible for the rest - there are cars that were delayed by 8 weeks due to chip hold, then sat for 7 more weeks (after the chip hold was over and the vehicles marked as "shipped") before leaving Mexico.

The day when I placed the order there was snow on the ground; when I take deliver in December there may be snow on the ground again - ten months from order to delivery.
This is my story exactly. Ordered March 4. Built mid July then on chip hold till October. "shipped" October 5th but did not arrive in Kansas City until November 1st with ETA delivery of November 9. Last checked by VVR it was in North Dakota. I live in Oregon.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag

I got lucky with my chip hold period only being about four weeks, but Iā€™d take that any day over getting a partially-finished car and being surprised when I found missing components. I still canā€™t believe (well, actually, I can) that Tesla did that and didnā€™t even notify the end customers. They just figured it out when there was nothing behind the cutout!

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got lucky with my chip hold period only being about four weeks, but Iā€™d take that any day over getting a partially-finished car and being surprised when I found missing components. I still canā€™t believe (well, actually, I can) that Tesla did that and didnā€™t even notify the end customers. They just figured it out when there was nothing behind the cutout!
Yea if something minor like some USB ports were the difference between my car sitting in Mexico or me having it? Let me know and gimme the car. Tesla definitely fucked up by not preemptively letting customers know though. But I think given the option, I'd take the car and worry about USB ports later.

But if it's something like not having GPS or heated seats? Yea I'll probably wait (especially for the former).

blazinazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Premium
Country flag
There's a couple things that hit Ford all at once. First is they get a lot of their chips from Renesas in Japan. Well Renesas had a fire at their main factory in Spring of 2021 and it took them about 4-5 months to be back at full capacity. On top of that Malaysia which is another huge fab location hasn't been at full capacity for a while due to COVID. Then there's the supply chain issues and port backlogs preventing made parts from getting to destinations. The second which is applicable to us is that we are all waiting on EVs which require significantly more controllers, processors, sensors, etc than ICE vehicles on the order of 10x more. Now the good news is Renesas and Malaysia are up to full capacity and Ford has increased dealer inventories and lowered cars waiting on chips indicating they're getting more of them. Ford executives as well as Morgan Stanley are of the belief that the worst of the chip shortage is behind us although it won't be perfect until likely 2023.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yea if something minor like some USB ports were the difference between my car sitting in Mexico or me having it? Let me know and gimme the car. Tesla definitely fucked up by not preemptively letting customers know though. But I think given the option, I'd take the car and worry about USB ports later.

But if it's something like not having GPS or heated seats? Yea I'll probably wait (especially for the former).
If your GPS experience is going to be anything like mine, Iā€™d suggest using CarPlay or Android Auto when your MME arrives. Iā€™ve had a few (way) too many times where the last mile of routing was completely wrong and put me not at all at my destination. I just got 1.7.1 that has some clear changes to the Navigation and Iā€™m going to try to duplicate those routes again to see if theyā€™ve been fixed, but Fordā€™s starting from behind with me on this oneā€¦.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
While Tesla may have sold incomplete vehicles to customers, Ford has not, nor said they would. Fretting about a non-issue is a waste of time.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
The chip shortage will last well into 2023 if not longer. The convergence of AI, IOT, 5G, and work from home are all contributing to the strongest semiconductor market ever.

Rfehl62

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Ford Sales consultant
Country flag
I wish they would have given us the options to choose to a build that required less chips. For example, you can order an F-150 without the auto start/stop right now. Ford did this simply because it meant less chips. I can guarantee id have my Mach-E right now if it did not have blue cruise but, Ford made me get it if I wanted the moon roof. I could care less about glorified cruise control that does not even work most of the time.

Gixxer750

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW Golf R; 2021 ER AWD Rapid Red
Occupation
Innovation Guru
Country flag
I can accept there are chip shortages as this is occurring in every industry at the moment. The uptake of digitalization and electrification is accelerating faster than supply chains can keep up. Especially after the pandemic issues.
What bothers me is how the process is handled by production. Production process should be FIFO but once a car goes into chip hold purgatory, it appears they go to the bottom of the list for chip supply as the cars currently in the production line have priority.
Coming from automotive, I get why they do this as keeping the line busy and moving is key and moving resources to installing modules in a lot creates a lot of waste. However, they need to balance this with customer experience and perception. Especially with a new model as popular as a Mach E.
Okay, rant done. ;)
Sponsored