Clear door edge guard

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
I'm just realizing that my car has this on the outside edge of the door. It's just a narrow strip of PPF wrapped around the edge, almost like scotch tape. I don't like it because I can see the edge of it going the length of the entire door.

I just scoured a bunch of pics and didn't see this on anyone else's. Was this protection during shipping that should've been removed? I don't think my dealer added it because it was ordered for me and I certainly didn't pay for it.

Also, I'm realizing that maybe it's not clear. My car is Star White so maybe it could be white.
Sponsored

OP
OP

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Adding a picture of what Iā€™m talking about.

68519428-1C62-4351-B9B5-FFDA79BF500F.jpeg

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
that's awesome. i have to see if i have it.

nope, i bet the dealer was supposed to remove that.

did you order an exterior protection package?

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Check your contract purchase. In time of pick up my MME dealership wanted to charge me $800 for this. I installed this PPF by my self last week just for few bucks. Selling this stuff they make more money then drug dealers.

8BEF9158-FDA1-4972-996C-BF9CA0FB2386.jpeg

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That's funny, I actually put that same clear strip on my daughter's truck door so she doesn't ding my truck in the garage. My clear one has turned a translucent yellowish-white with age but at least my truck isn't scratched!

OP
OP

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Check your contract purchase.
Your dealer probably snuck that into your invoice.
Nope, nothing extra. I triple checked and they were adamant about not forcing charges for stuff like that since they accepted X Plan. They also etched the glass but didnā€™t charge for that. Itā€™s possible they add the door guard and glass etching to all the cars automatically and charge where they can.

I actually put that same clear strip on my daughter's truck door so she doesn't ding my truck in the garage.
This doesnā€™t seem like it would prevent dinging another car. Itā€™s super thin.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Nope, nothing extra. I triple checked and they were adamant about not forcing charges for stuff like that since they accepted X Plan. They also etched the glass but didnā€™t charge for that. Itā€™s possible they add the door guard and glass etching to all the cars automatically and charge where they can.

This doesnā€™t seem like it would prevent dinging another car. Itā€™s super thin.
Glass etching is done at the factory on all cars. Dealers always try to charge for it. Thatā€™s why itā€™s preprinted on their retail invoices. Another ADM in disguise.

OP
OP

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Glass etching is done at the factory on all cars. Dealers always try to charge for it. Thatā€™s why itā€™s preprinted on their retail invoices. Another ADM in disguise.
Ah. I guess they offered to sell me some kind of insurance tied to etching, but were fine with me saying no.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
News to me.

metroplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Some Ford dealers will apply them free of charge. Same with the locking lug nuts.

FloridaMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CR1
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm just realizing that my car has this on the outside edge of the door. It's just a narrow strip of PPF wrapped around the edge, almost like scotch tape. I don't like it because I can see the edge of it going the length of the entire door.

I just scoured a bunch of pics and didn't see this on anyone else's. Was this protection during shipping that should've been removed? I don't think my dealer added it because it was ordered for me and I certainly didn't pay for it.

Also, I'm realizing that maybe it's not clear. My car is Star White so maybe it could be white.
Nope - not on my CR1 - I put some black door guard-tape all around my white doors. Looks fine to me and has saved a few dings there and here. The tape was $20 at Amazon. Been holding its own for 9 months. I bet the dealer was supposed to remove it.
Sponsored