Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition
Occupation
Certified Financial Planner
Country flag
I have a MME-FE Job 1 with 18k miles. For the past month, I've heard a clicking sound when I turn the car around a corner. I only notice it at slower speeds (under 15) and the tighter the turn and the faster the turn, the louder the clicking. It's most often heard when taking off around a corner from a stop.
It sounds like it's coming from the wheels and the clicking 'rate' is perhaps 6-8 per second for the few seconds of the turn. As soon as I straighten it out, the clicking stops. I don't hear it at higher speeds and gentler turns.
Any thoughts on the source of the noise?
Sponsored

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
99% certain it will need a new CV (Constant Velocity) joint. CV joints will typically last the life of the car…unless the boot gets torn. Once it is torn, water washes out all of the grease and then the joint starts clicking on turns. Eventually it will fail.

What you have described is exactly what one hears with a failed CV joint.

If CV boots (aka Half Shaft dust boots) are damaged and noticed promptly the boot can be replaced and repacked with grease. Once it starts clicking-it is toast.

The manual recommends they are inspected at every service interval.

Multi-point Inspection

In order to keep your vehicle running right, it is important to have the systems on your vehicle checked regularly. This can help identify potential issues and prevent major problems. We recommend having the following multi-point inspection performed at every scheduled maintenance interval to help make sure your vehicle keeps running great.

Multi-Point Inspection
12V Battery performance Radiator, cooler, heater and air conditioning hoses
Exterior lamps and hazard warning system operation Suspension components for leaks or damage
Fluid levels; fill if necessary1 Steering and linkage
For fluid leaks Tires for wear and proper pressure 2
Half-shaft dust boots Windshield for cracks, chips or pits
Horn operation Washer spray and wiper operation

CV joints are not unique to the MME. It is true of virtually all front wheel drive vehicles built for at least the last 30 years+ and many AWD drive vehicles.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
They’ve just replaced some parts on the front of mine for the same reason.
Take it in.
And a leaking rear shock.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have a MME-FE Job 1 with 18k miles. For the past month, I've heard a clicking sound when I turn the car around a corner. I only notice it at slower speeds (under 15) and the tighter the turn and the faster the turn, the louder the clicking. It's most often heard when taking off around a corner from a stop.
It sounds like it's coming from the wheels and the clicking 'rate' is perhaps 6-8 per second for the few seconds of the turn. As soon as I straighten it out, the clicking stops. I don't hear it at higher speeds and gentler turns.
I have the same issue. I’m going to ask the dealer to look at it during state inspection (hoping the fix is to enable the remote frunk release 😀😀😀)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
They’ve just replaced some parts on the front of mine for the same reason.
Take it in.
And a leaking rear shock.
I brought mine in last week for the same reason (21,000 miles)... Shop acknowledged click sounds, but boots were not torn, and they said everything appears ok. I plan to make sure all the debris is cleaned out of the belly pan, check for rubbing between tires and everything, and have them check it again at 30k miles.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hey there. I can look into your Mach-E’s clicking concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hey there. I can look into your Mach-E’s clicking concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
ok, I will send copy of Service/inspection invoice from Dealership.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
There's an SSM for it

SSM 50513:
Low or HIGH pitch clicking from front end turning left or right at full lock or about slow roll fwd/backward

My half shafts were just replaced (both, try to get both done because the other one will do it)
25k on the car. I did mine in at 24,500 miles

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
There's an SSM for it

SSM 50513:
Low or HIGH pitch clicking from front end turning left or right at full lock or about slow roll fwd/backward

My half shafts were just replaced (both, try to get both done because the other one will do it)
25k on the car. I did mine in at 24,500 miles
Thats what I told my dealership.... since my build date was early, I think I'm in the group eligible/suspect.

I am not 100% confident that the Service tech read the SSM, or if there is a procedure for them to verify that the replacements are indicated other than Audible clicking.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Clicking sound while turning SSM 50513

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I have had that issue twice on mine and the car only has 12000 km :(

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Happens with my 21 FE as well, but only in the winter. I showed it to the dealer and they "couldn't pinpoint where the noise was coming from" and said the physical parts looked fine.... I even showed them the above SSM... Oh well
Sponsored