Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hey all. The other day I was charging at a new Chargepoint station and had a little trouble getting it going, but eventually did. In the meantime either I or my wife inadvertently turned on the accessories in the car. Anyway, we went inside for an ice cream cone and came back out 20 minutes later to a nicely charged HV battery and a very nice, cool, comfy car. Is there any harm in doing that intentionally or did we just get lucky not to cause damage? Oh also, the last two times I set the car to precondition (plugged into the home charger) it didn't. Any ideas why?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You can cool the car while charging no problem. It will use a small bit of energy, and take a tad longer to charge. You should NOT use the heater while charging (as per Ford's direction), so that it can divert all energy to warming the battery. In the winter, turn off the heat and use the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

The preconditioning setting allows you to specify a cabin temperature of cool, medium, warm, or Off. If you chose off, it would not precondition the cabin. I chose this last week when it was 55 out.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Thank you. I got it. Cooling OK while charging with a little slower charge time. Also, I had my pre-conditioning set on cool. Hmmm.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thank you. I got it. Cooling OK while charging with a little slower charge time. Also, I had my pre-conditioning set on cool. Hmmm.
People have reported that sometimes a departure time doesn't work for no known reason.

And "slower" is barely noticeable, the A/C doesn't use a lot of juice.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
Just make sure sometimes if walking in and out of the car and pugging in and unplugging sometimes turns the car into "acc but not ON" mode, shows as red battery icon in IPC. In that mode it will not heat or cool. Turn on with brake pedal + start to go into normal ON mode.

Also the car will use the air condition compressor for cooling battery if charging for long time. It has capacity to do both, but it will run the compressor regardless of climate setting if necessary

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yep, the pre-conditioning thing has happened to me a few times. Sometimes I think that Fordpass is just super slow or unable to share it with the car. Dunno. And is the "full on" accessory situation OK for this?
Sponsored