Close to a $2000 annual fuel savings from my Mach-E!

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
Here is my breakdown based on California. Cost savings would be about double that if I based it on premium gas and a sub 30 MPG rating that I would have actually been getting in an ICE. From a very conservative perspective this is quit promising.

Year2021
Total Miles10,981
Cost Per KWH*$0.14
KWH Used4,150.83
Gal Used (Based on MPG)314
MPG35
Gas Price Per Gallon (Regular)$4.66
Gas Cost$1,461.10
Electrict Cost$565.76
Savings$895.34
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
$166 per month that you can put toward other bills or savings, or close to a $10,000 savings over a five-year period, that you could be investing.
Or used to pay the difference in higher purchase price that the Mach-E costs to buy over a comparable ICE alternative.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Or used to pay the difference in higher purchase price that the Mach-E costs to buy over a comparable ICE alternative.
With government incentives and Ford options discounts, my FE cost me around the same as a comparable ICE car. Not going to get into the political / economic issues of these incentives. I'm clearly well ahead on purchase and operational costs versus a comparable ICE vehicle.

Mache65

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E, 21 F150 PB Limited, 21 Ram 1500 Limited
Country flag
or more simply....

My Mazda CX5 used to cost 12.4 cents/mile for fuel at 3.10/gal.
My MME costs 3.2 cents/mile for electricity at 0.11/kWh.

A friend was so skeptical at those figures I had to do the math on paper so he could 'get it'.
my electricity cost here in CT is $0.21/KW
did you factor in delivery and taxes on your electricity cost?

Mache65

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E, 21 F150 PB Limited, 21 Ram 1500 Limited
Country flag
With government incentives and Ford options discounts, my FE cost me around the same as a comparable ICE car. Not going to get into the political / economic issues of these incentives. I'm clearly well ahead on purchase and operational costs versus a comparable ICE vehicle.
What options did you get with your car? How much was the discount from Ford on those option? I am looking to get 22 but can not justify 6k for extended range and 2700 for AWD

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
No savings from the last car here LOL (a Bolt so probably used fewer electrons than the Mach-E).

However, when I started driving electric I went from an F-350 burning $350/month in gas for the 1000 miles I put on it to paying $50/month in electricity on the Focus Electric (I have a separate meter for the EV plug so I know exactly what I'm paying for it--yeah and time-of-use rate on that meter).

Oddly enough my monthly (it does vary by season but averages to around the $50 mark) "fuel" bill hasn't changed since the Focus Electric. Even when I had the C-Max Energi it was still 1 tank of gas and the electricity I'd plug it in with which totalled around $50/month.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess it depends on what we consider a comparable ICE car. And that's subjective. For me the alternative was an Escape. That's roughly a $35k car, vs my $59k MME FE purchase. I got $10k in state+federal tax subsidies, but that still doesn't come close to offsetting the $24k price difference. Nor will the fuel cost savings (especially since we do a lot of road trip miles, thus pay EA prices quite often).

But it could be argued that while an Escape is comparable in size, it's not quite comparable in features and quality. So maybe a different $45k ICE vehicle would be more comparable (like maybe the BMW the OP was coming from).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
What options did you get with your car? How much was the discount from Ford on those option? I am looking to get 22 but can not justify 6k for extended range and 2700 for AWD
Ford doesn't discount the car options. The post referred to Ford Options, which is a financing alternative.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
my electricity cost here in CT is $0.21/KW
did you factor in delivery and taxes on your electricity cost?
Many don't take the true total as you noted, however, many also don't research alternative electricity rate plans from their utility. Have you checked yours?

buckeye44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge Ford Fusion
Country flag
Was curious about other states, here in Ohio they charge you a $200 “gas tax” every year for owning your EV. What are other states charging, if anything?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was curious about other states, here in Ohio they charge you a $200 “gas tax” every year for owning your EV. What are other states charging, if anything?
There's other threads on here you can search on where people reported theirs from various states.

Note that the purpose of the EV surcharge at annual registration is the counterpart to the gas tax which usually goes to pay for roads. Since EVs are road users just as much as ICE, they need a way to tax them for that.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The savings are even greater when your cost of electricity is $0.00 / kWh! :p

My solar installation covers all of my electricity needs . . . . and since all my charging is done at home (except for the occasional road trip).
Yes, I have some capital costs from the installation, but with a payback period of 6+ years, that is covered quickly, not to mention the capital cost is really zero since it increased the value of my house.
Road tripping is one major problem. Traveling 832 miles one way and in one day in my hybrid late this week. 16+ hour day. Insufficient number of chargers in Northern Michigan and the UP of Michian to do so. Especially when I am pulling a trailer. All two Ccs chargers in the whole up and the one in Norway has been broken, running at half speed for months tells you the charging network needs to expand sooner rather than later.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have an FE - essentially a Premium ER AWD. Using Ford Options financing, I received a $2500 discount plus my X plan pricing.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess it depends on what we consider a comparable ICE car. And that's subjective. For me the alternative was an Escape. That's roughly a $35k car, vs my $59k MME FE purchase. I got $10k in state+federal tax subsidies, but that still doesn't come close to offsetting the $24k price difference. Nor will the fuel cost savings (especially since we do a lot of road trip miles, thus pay EA prices quite often).

But it could be argued that while an Escape is comparable in size, it's not quite comparable in features and quality. So maybe a different $45k ICE vehicle would be more comparable (like maybe the BMW the OP was coming from).
Tim - I would consider it comparable to around a $45k ICE car. My FE with credits (Federal, State (CA) and utility (CA Clean Fuel)), along with X plan and Options brought my cost (before sales tax) to about that price.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Road tripping is one major problem. Traveling 832 miles one way and in one day in my hybrid late this week. 16+ hour day. Insufficient number of chargers in Northern Michigan and the UP of Michian to do so. Especially when I am pulling a trailer. All two Ccs chargers in the whole up and the one in Norway has been broken, running at half speed for months tells you the charging network needs to expand sooner rather than later.
Billy - I do agree that if you are paying for public charging, you are not saving any real money over ICE, and if you are towing, all electric is not a very good choice at this point.
For my occasional trips, I've had no problems with charger availability, but I'm in CA, so more chargers than most other places.
This is the proverbial chicken or egg . . . to build chargers, you need to have electric vehicle adoption to support them. In many parts of the country, very little adoption, so very little business for the charging industry.
Electric vehicles are coming, so places that don't support the industry (and actually fight it) aren't doing their citizens any good.
Sponsored