Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/oth...-mustang-to-take-on-tesla/vi-BB1aSk2y?ocid=se

Ford Mustang Mach-E CNBC Feature: Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla AAADLcm

Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla
Duration: 15:25 7 hrs ago

Ford is introducing a new, eco-friendly electric four-door crossover. The Mustang Mach-E is making waves in the electric car community and will compete with Tesla for satisfied drivers. Some car enthusiasts challenge Ford's decision to replace Mustang's namesake 8-cylinder engine. But others argue a Mustang is a Mustang.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
At 76,000 Mustang sales in 2018 and Mach E demand @trutolife27 has told us about, Ford has a shot at selling more Mach Es than ICE Mustangs in 2021.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I’m not sure I understand the author’s premise. Making Mach E doesn’t preclude a “proper” coupe mustang.

Alright I know it’s not his premise but that of some of louder elements on social media. But still, I don’t get it.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’m not sure I understand the author’s premise. Making Mach E doesn’t preclude a “proper” coupe mustang.

Alright I know it’s not his premise but that of some of louder elements on social media. But still, I don’t get it.
Agreed. The filmmaker seems to miss the whole "addition to the stable" part. Of course, we really don't know what Ford has planned for the next redesign. It's been 5 years since the current Mustang came out.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag

It's been the most mind boggling thing coming from that crowd. S650 is confirmed. There's going to still be a regular ICE coupe Mustang for the next 8-10 years minimum, depending on how much longer S550 stays around.

Mach E isn't stealing your Mustangs guys! It will be OK!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I get tired of the "take on Tesla" narrative we constantly hear for the Mach-E. As if there's only room for one BEV maker in the world.

We don't usually get the same narrative about the Ford Escape "taking on" the Honda CR-V or the Toyota RAV-4. Or the same narrative about the Ford Excursion "taking on" the Chevy Suburban. There's plenty of market share to go around. There can (and usually are) MANY successful vehicles in overlapping segments.

I'm rather sick of the constant "can they compete with Tesla?" narrative.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I get tired of the "take on Tesla" narrative we constantly hear for the Mach-E. As if there's only room for one BEV maker in the world.

We don't usually get the same narrative about the Ford Escape "taking on" the Honda CR-V or the Toyota RAV-4. Or the same narrative about the Ford Excursion "taking on" the Chevy Suburban. There's plenty of market share to go around. There can (and usually are) MANY successful vehicles in overlapping segments.

I think that's the narrative because so far OEM's haven't been able to sell BEVs in volume the way Tesla has for the last 2 years. Having to heavily discount BEV's just to make a fraction of the sales Tesla has is not a successful recipe. So, the sentiment is less about taking sales away from Tesla and more about selling BEV's in appreciable volume the way Tesla has.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think that's the narrative because so far OEM's haven't been able to sell BEVs in volume the way Tesla has for the last 2 years. Having to heavily discount BEV's just to make a fraction of the sales Tesla has is not a successful recipe. So, the sentiment is less about taking sales away from Tesla and more about selling BEV's in appreciable volume the way Tesla has.
Only because they really haven't tried yet. Compliance cars were just that - made to get by the regs.

But the new wave coming is different.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Agreed. The filmmaker seems to miss the whole "addition to the stable" part. Of course, we really don't know what Ford has planned for the next redesign. It's been 5 years since the current Mustang came out.
The next truly different Mustang Coupe design will be an all-electric Pony. It might not be the next Mustang, but I bet it's in the works at ... wherever Ford's version of the "Skunk Works" is. That'll eliminate one whine, there will be 6 in its place.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
I don't understand the animosity towards Mach-e having the Mustang name. I think Mach-E fits the description.

From NYT article:

"From the day it was introduced 54 years ago, Mustang was positioned as a stylish, affordable and practical alternative to expensive European sports cars."

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

1) It's because I like many others believe only the Mustang can compete. That's actually high praise considering all the other EV's on the market, and its saying that none of them stand a chance.
2) Acyually that nareative always existed amongst OEM's. Nissan for example is letting its potential Rogue clients drive a RAV4 after a Rogue so that they can compare the 2 directly. F150 vs RAM vs Silverado etc etc etc.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
People need to refamiliarize themselves with the origin story of the Mustang ?