Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
People need to refamiliarize themselves with the origin story of the Mustang ?
I'm still waiting for the Mach-E to show up at the top of the Empire State Building.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The next truly different Mustang Coupe design will be an all-electric Pony. It might not be the next Mustang, but I bet it's in the works at ... wherever Ford's version of the "Skunk Works" is. That'll eliminate one whine, there will be 6 in its place.
Sorry @Kamuelaflyer, it'll increase the whine -- you've heard the Mach E 1400. Or is that more of a scream ?

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Agreed. The filmmaker seems to miss the whole "addition to the stable" part. Of course, we really don't know what Ford has planned for the next redesign. It's been 5 years since the current Mustang came out.
I heard that Ford might be branding the coupe Mustang out on its own as ford is getting rid of all sedans from lineup.
Now do not know this is true but if so it will be like the genesis lineup where it is it’s own brande name and vehicle. So yes the ICE mustang will still be built but probably on its own brand

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
Audi, Volvo, BMW, Jaguar HAVE been trying
Audi and Jag are too expensive, if compare to model X the size are bit small; BMW's i3 is small with half the range; the closest ones are Volvo and VW; however I still prefer MME's design, size and style. Range won't be a big issue to me since I have other cars at home.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I don't understand the animosity towards Mach-e having the Mustang name. I think Mach-E fits the description.

From NYT article:

"From the day it was introduced 54 years ago, Mustang was positioned as a stylish, affordable and practical alternative to expensive European sports cars."
The thing people forget is that RWD coupes and sedans were the common family crossovers of the 1960s. The original Mustang was just a sportier version of what most people had, more equivalent to something like a Focus ST or Explorer ST than a dedicated sports car. Cars evolved into FWD and crossovers over the succeeding decades, but the Mustang remained a RWD coupe. It evolved by not evolving. But it lost the practicality of the original as mass market cars have gotten more efficient, more spacious, and better in adverse weather (admittedly at the expense of thrills at the track).

The Mach E may be very different from the current Mustang, but in spirit I'd argue it's more like the original than many people would like to admit.

Last edited:

tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I’m not sure I understand the author’s premise. Making Mach E doesn’t preclude a “proper” coupe mustang.

Alright I know it’s not his premise but that of some of louder elements on social media. But still, I don’t get it.
Actually it's pretty simple. All previous Mustangs were 2 door - this is 4 door. That simple. And by the way the Mach e is not an SUV, it's a crossover - only branded as SUV by Ford. As others are suggesting this line will likely go in two EV directions - GT (ultimately a 2 door) and family sedan replacing Fusion and Focus lines in US. Bigger news for Ford is actually the Transit van which is very big in commercial world and when the SUV/crossover craze is over you'll see it as the future EV people hauler - think EV minivan and coming VW EV van. The Transit EV line makes Ford money in the future.

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
Actually it's pretty simple. All previous Mustangs were 2 door - this is 4 door. That simple.
The assertion that Ford is "risking" the Mustang, while simple, is unfounded. They're branding this crossover (agreed, it's not an SUV) EV Mustang, but that doesn't risk anything other than some people not wanting to buy this crossover EV, but that risk would have been there if they called it Taurus, or banana. Someone in the market for a traditional ICE mustang isn't likely to refrain simply because they added the crossover with the same branding.

Branding this as a Focus might risk the Mustang:

Ford Mustang Mach-E CNBC Feature: Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla Untitled

Last edited:

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
Actually it's pretty simple. All previous Mustangs were 2 door - this is 4 door. That simple. And by the way the Mach e is not an SUV, it's a crossover - only branded as SUV by Ford. As others are suggesting this line will likely go in two EV directions - GT (ultimately a 2 door) and family sedan replacing Fusion and Focus lines in US. Bigger news for Ford is actually the Transit van which is very big in commercial world and when the SUV/crossover craze is over you'll see it as the future EV people hauler - think EV minivan and coming VW EV van. The Transit EV line makes Ford money in the future.
Transit BEV is flying under the radar because, well, it's a Transit. But I think it could be one of the most consequential BEVs of this era, because of the prevalence of commercial vans and Ford's strength in that market.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
That is very true and the Mustang is its first real test.
In the USA maybe, until prices start to reach parity for a lot of people the ICE will still be first choice. So USA number are predominantly early adopters

The numbers become more interesting when you look at somewhere like Norway where tax rules have made the BEV the only real affordable option when it comes to a new vehicle and the legacy manufactures BEV have no problem competing with and outselling tesla, this is probably more an indication of how things will pan out in the rest of the world one BEV becomes the norm, it not going to be some tesla utopia as the fans make out likewise tesla won't disappear either as long as they can make a competitive product.