Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As someone who owned an 87 Mustang with the 4 banger in it, I think this is much less of a "risk" to the brand.
The Shetland edition?
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I get tired of the "take on Tesla" narrative we constantly hear for the Mach-E. As if there's only room for one BEV maker in the world.

We don't usually get the same narrative about the Ford Escape "taking on" the Honda CR-V or the Toyota RAV-4. Or the same narrative about the Ford Excursion "taking on" the Chevy Suburban. There's plenty of market share to go around. There can (and usually are) MANY successful vehicles in overlapping segments.

I'm rather sick of the constant "can they compete with Tesla?" narrative.
If you're tired of the "take on Tesla" narrative, then you can blame Ford.

Ford deliberately has been positioning the Mustang Mach-E as a direct competitor to the Model Y in terms of form factor/specifications/performance/interior styling. Even more to your point, with its marketing. From Tweeting out the MME logo the day Tesla unveiled the Y to just last week where CEO Jim Farley explicitly says they're competing with Tesla, the narrative from Ford is that they're in a race against Elon Musk's company and they intend to win.

Ford Mustang Mach-E CNBC Feature: Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla 1605103904042

Ford Mustang Mach-E CNBC Feature: Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla 1605103997060

"For me, the Mach-E is the first true competitor with Tesla. It's got Detroit swagger. It's a Mustang. Tesla is not a Mustang." - Ford CEO Jim Farley

---------

sources:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-responds-model-y-reveal-cryptic-mustang-tweet/
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/14/...ncement-price-release-date-features-elon-musk
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/10/01/ford-ceo-jim-farley-tripp-tracy/3577319001/

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As someone who owned an 87 Mustang with the 4 banger in it, I think this is much less of a "risk" to the brand.
I had one of those too. Should have been named the "Mule". Slow, but with the hatchback able to carry a lot of stuff.

kikibop

First Name
kiki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E E4x Space White / '15 Prius
Occupation
Product Design
Country flag
the report is pretty boilerplate. good info for folks who've never heard of the Mach E but overall a shallow rehash of stuff we all know very well. Zzz.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
It's not so much as ford going after tesla as its all the auto manufacturers finally getting aboard the EV train, and not just making compliance vehicles.

Jim Farley was talking more about the mache has style and curves and not just a boring look to be more aero.

Elon is happy that everyone is jumping in the EV game. That was his one big push to get away from ice vehicles.

The hate and comparing come more for the rabid Tesla fans. As soon as any EV is announced they start up comparing and tearing any down.
To one aspect that is fine, as with buying anything we must compare for the best value and what we like as a person.

Tesla has a big lead, that now is going to rapidly change in the next 5 to 10 years.

From a point-blank honest standpoint.

If the mache range would come in at 275 for the gt, 300 for premium ext AWD, and 325 for premium ext RWD.

The select and the premium also need to be 2,500 less in price.

Add a few features like a power button for rear seats, sentry mode, cooled seats. Heat pump.

It all that was true then it then would be a true tesla killer. Most people still think it is, as I do. Just saying with those things changed then it wouldn't even be close.

The big help for the Mache compared to tesla is the up price for different paint colors and interior colors. A red-painted and white interior tesla are a 3,000 upcharge.

But at the end of the day, the mache is competition for tesla.

Already said something to him about his video, even used one of your guy's posts about the cargo space. You can see they hate any competition.

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
It's strategic. If it was a new model name, it wouldn't have gotten the attention. Calling it a Mustang got people talking about it. Personally I would have liked them to revive the Lightning moniker

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/oth...-mustang-to-take-on-tesla/vi-BB1aSk2y?ocid=se

Ford Mustang Mach-E CNBC Feature: Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla 1605103997060

Why Ford is risking the Mustang to take on Tesla
Duration: 15:25 7 hrs ago

Ford is introducing a new, eco-friendly electric four-door crossover. The Mustang Mach-E is making waves in the electric car community and will compete with Tesla for satisfied drivers. Some car enthusiasts challenge Ford's decision to replace Mustang's namesake 8-cylinder engine. But others argue a Mustang is a Mustang.
The V8 engine will not be "replaced", just designated to the classic Mustang.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
1) It's because I like many others believe only the Mustang can compete. That's actually high praise considering all the other EV's on the market, and its saying that none of them stand a chance.
2) Acyually that nareative always existed amongst OEM's. Nissan for example is letting its potential Rogue clients drive a RAV4 after a Rogue so that they can compare the 2 directly. F150 vs RAM vs Silverado etc etc etc.
I have driven a Nissan Rogue for a week. It is smaller than the Escape because it was made for the smaller Japanese drivers. The Escape is roomier.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Transit BEV is flying under the radar because, well, it's a Transit. But I think it could be one of the most consequential BEVs of this era, because of the prevalence of commercial vans and Ford's strength in that market.
Ford will officially announce the EV Transit tomorrow, Nov 12th.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I have driven a Nissan Rogue for a week. It is smaller than the Escape because it was made for the smaller Japanese drivers. The Escape is roomier.
Are you sure it was not the Rogue Sport? Its not the same as a regular Rogue. The old escape i believe you, not the new one.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Agreed and I have owned two of those Mustangs. They were fun to drive with a manual especially in snow. :p