jeremykraft

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME - Premium AWD Extended Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Hey all - looking for some advice as I'm a soon-to-be first time EV driver. I test-drove a Mach E yesterday and was trying to figure out the OPD and regenerative braking overall. My attempts made for a pretty herky-jerky ride (my 10 year old in the back seat got a little car sick) and I'm sure I'll get better at it but I'm curious as to what combination of settings will give the smoothest ride?

What I've found is that with my ICE vehicle, I do a fair amount of coasting transitioning between driving and braking. No pressure on the gas, letting the car smoothly start to slow down before hitting the brake to round a corner or come to a stop. Also, I live in Seattle and coming down many of our hills, I'm generally coasting the whole way. Is this possible in a Mach-E? When I tried yesterday (even with OPD turned off), the car decelerates quickly due to the regenerative braking. I'm guessing some combination of re-training myself, Whisper mode, and leaving OPD off will help but curious as to feedback.
Sponsored

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It took me a few days to get the hang of 1PD but now its pretty natural to me to coast when coming down a long straightaway towards a red light. You don't think of it anymore.

To let you practice 1PD coasting without harsh jerking stops...start with "whisper" mode and move towards "engaged", then "unbridled"

Rotting Piñata

First Name
Adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon hybrid
Country flag
Whisper and 1PD off will let you coast the most. For the downhills, push "L" to activate the 1PD and increase regen. Then, turn off L after the hill.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Whisper mode will allow coasting, and when going down a steep hill you may want to shift to "L" by pressing the button on the shift wheel. Press it again to cancel "L". This is what I have been doing and it works well. My wife was not happy when I was driving in Engage, I would have to practice 1PD by myself before ever using it with her in the car.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I was concerned about 1PD, but after driving for a couple days it becomes second nature. I considered having my wife drive with 1PD off, but she too got accustomed to it.

1PD on while going down a steeper hill will allow you to coast. Here in SF, I've found that despite having 1PD on, I still need to apply brakes to ensure I stop at the bottom.

For long stretches of hill (ie., driving back from the mountains), I do plan to turn off 1PD and utilize "L" mode to take advantage of coasting+regen, as 1PD region is quite strong.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don't have an MME yet, so the 1PD experience may be different than on my BMW i3. But in the i3 I can coast down hills (I live pretty close to the hill where Tiger Woods crashed) by easing up on the accelerator to a spot prior to where the braking regen kicks in. There is a display on the dash that shows how much energy you're using or regenerating and when I do this, the display is completely neutral--I'm not using or regenerating the battery.

My MME test drive was sadly limited, so I can't say for sure that this is possible on the Mustang. But I love 1PD so much, I'm certainly hoping/counting on it. And it's not hard to learn--as I recall, it took me about three days to develop my 1PD skills.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I was concerned about 1PD, but after driving for a couple days it becomes second nature. I considered having my wife drive with 1PD off, but she too got accustomed to it.

1PD on while going down a steeper hill will allow you to coast. Here in SF, I've found that despite having 1PD on, I still need to apply brakes to ensure I stop at the bottom.

For long stretches of hill (ie., driving back from the mountains), I do plan to turn off 1PD and utilize "L" mode to take advantage of coasting+regen, as 1PD region is quite strong.
I've noticed that on the SF hills where you have a stop sign every block going downhill that you really need to press the brakes to get from regen to friction. First couple times going down Divisidero towards Union I definitely went through the signs lol

OP
OP
jeremykraft

jeremykraft

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME - Premium AWD Extended Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Thanks all. Sounds like Whisper mode with OPD turned off will be "newbie" mode - lending my car out to someone not used to driving it. And at least the mode I use at first as I get used to it.
Sponsored