Cold weather garage charging -- heat garage or let battery warm itself?

MessyJessie

First Name
Jessie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mach e gtpe
Country flag
Hiya, I live up in Michigan, and as things have started to turn cool I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to decide if it's more economical to keep my insulated garage heater(it's a mitsubishi heat pump) running all winter, or simply leave the car plugged in and let the battery warm it's self as needed. I don't want to lose battery life due to the battery getting too cold during the freezing winter, so I need to do one or the other, but not sure how I would even evaluate the cost of one vs the other, or even if just leaving the car plugged in and letting the built in battery warmer do it's thing is good enough?

What are my other cold weather owners doing for the winter?
Sponsored

stackcat

First Name
Aukongak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-e California Route 1
Occupation
Health IT
Country flag
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and I have a heated garage. Although my circumstance is vastly different from Michigan. I think there are too many variables on this question, such as do you use your garage for more than just keeping your car in (ie, do you work in it, keep other items with batteries in it like power tools, etc). If you do, I would just suggest keeping the heat pump running and just let the car charge. In addition, if your garage has plumbing I would also suggest to just run the heat pump. Don't want those potentially freezing.

I keep my garage at 55F during the winter. I find it's a good temperature.

OP
OP

MessyJessie

First Name
Jessie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mach e gtpe
Country flag
Grage is a large, insulated, 3 stall. Heat pump minimum is 62deg, no plumbing in garge, I don't work out there unless i have to in the winter (cutting boards for home repair etc). It would be nice to not have to move my chemicals/paint/etc into the basement for the winter though!
Sponsored