Cold weather question - does the car use more energy per mile?

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Cold weather we get much less range. But does the car use more energy per mile or is it just impossible to get the energey out of the batter.
So if you use all 88 kw of energy out of the battery and go 300 miles, you “used” 88 kw of power. To charge back to 100% it will take 88kw.

but in the winter you can only go 220 miles and you go to 0% on the batter, how many kwatts did you use? 88 or something less because you just can’t get it out of a cold batter? How many kw to get it back to 100%?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Cold weather we get much less range. But does the car use more energy per mile or is it just impossible to get the energey out of the batter.
So if you use all 88 kw of energy out of the battery and go 300 miles, you “used” 88 kw of power. To charge back to 100% it will take 88kw.

but in the winter you can only go 220 miles and you go to 0% on the batter, how many kwatts did you use? 88 or something less because you just can’t get it out of a cold batter? How many kw to get it back to 100%?
In your example. 88 kw

EVs consume more energy in cooler temps compared to mild temps.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

in cold weather you *probably* have the heater(s) on... which consume some energy, but not a lot compared to driving. I.e. maintaining 60mph on a flat road probably takes around 20 kW of power.... the cabin heater on 'full blast' is probably 2 or 3kW max. There are no specifics on the max kW going to heat/cooling I can find, but that's my guess.

so.... depending on temp, I'd say range will likely be 5%-20% less the further from 70 deg F you are.

second part of your question depends on where and how you are charging, and what the temp is where it is being charged. The max charge voltage will be lowered by software if the temp outside the car is below 50 deg F or so, and lowered more the colder it is.... because the Lithium battery chemistry works the best at 70 deg F +/- 20 deg or so. There is less 'room' for electrons in the molecular lattice when it is cold, which is why the traction pack has it's own environmental control inside, and will use energy to try and keep it warm as well as the cabin for your comfort.

OP
OP

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Does the mache have less horsepower when it is cold? Will the 0-60 times be slower? What about if the battery is warmed up but the temp outside is still cold.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
In my experience, you still get to use the entire battery, but getting the power out of it, requires using power, making ess available to actually spin the tires.
Range loss in the cold is the results of:

1. Climate control use, (though it doesn’t seem to be AS bad as others seem to report, but maybe I’m just happy with my hoodie on and 67 degrees where others want t-shirt temps and 75 degrees).

2. The car has to spend energy to warm the battery. A frozen battery isn’t going to produce any energy. Or a near frozen battery isn’t going to produce enough energy to meet the demands of the motor(s).

3. Cold air is much more dense than warm air. So there is more resistance to force the car through, requiring more power from the motors.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Does the mache have less horsepower when it is cold? Will the 0-60 times be slower? What about if the battery is warmed up but the temp outside is still cold.
I haven’t noticed it being any slower when cold. But then, I have only really had one warm day. I’ll have to try a couple 0-60 runs when it warms up again.

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When I first got my car in Feb, the high temps were about 15F. In the cold, I was getting about 1.0-1.5 mi/kWh with E-Heat on. With warmer temps, I'm getting over 3 mi/kWh. I didn't notice any change in acceleration behavior.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Accelleration should be pretty much unchanged as batteries warm themselves up.

Traction will be less with same tires, range will be less as you use energy to heat cabin and batteries.

If you charge in the cold, the charge will be reduced to protect batteries, programatically I dont know what the specific curve is
Sponsored