Collision assist warning while driving

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Hey guys, I searched the forum but didn't find that issue.

I was driving today in the middle of a 3 lane avenue in downtown, not too fast maybe 30-35mph when the dashboard started flipping out with a big red COLLISION ALERT ASSIST and a loud beep.
It startled me but nothing really happened: the car responded normally to me.

Has anything like this happened to you guys before? it happened right as I was passing under an overpass.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Yes it can happen if the car gets confused. Change your sensitivity to low. I've had false alerts in all brands of cars with collision warning. Chevy is the worst about it and others are better. Usually the radar based systems are better (like the MME).

It can't always assume what you know so it just reacts how it is programmed. It can happen if someone turns in front of you slowly enough or if someone turns away in front of you and you are approaching them quickly.

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Yes it can happen if the car gets confused. Change your sensitivity to low. I've had false alerts in all brands of cars with collision warning. Chevy is the worst about it and others are better. Usually the radar based systems are better (like the MME).

It can't always assume what you know so it just reacts how it is programmed. It can happen if someone turns in front of you slowly enough or if someone turns away in front of you and you are approaching them quickly.
Ok! I'm switching from a car with 0 tech so it freaked me out.
I'm glad it happens sometimes - is it normal that the car didn't break at all though?

I was going through an underpass with cars around me and changing from bright sun to dark: maybe that confused it.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The car probably didn't apply the brakes because it quickly realized it didn't need to. Sun shouldn't confuse it as it uses a radar and not the camera (well it could use both possibly).
Sponsored