Colorado Owners - Questions before taking delivery

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Mach E Premium EX AWD (Dark Matter Gray)
Country flag
I'm in Centennial and waiting for my Premium EXT AWD that's scheduled to start production the week of 1/3. I have a few questions to this smaller group after reading through countless forum posts:

1. With the sun and heat we typically get, have any of you had any concerns with the glass roof?
2. There are several owners who complain a lot about the bouncy ride. Has this been a major issue for any of you? I can never tell if it's a few people on a forum overexaggerating the issue of it's a legitimate concern.
3. Have any of you had an L2 Charger installed through Xcel? Or through anyone else that may make the cost worthwhile (through rebates/credits)? I'm leaning towards just getting a 240 outlet installed that i can use the supplied charger with, but I'm open to other ideas.

Overall, how are you enjoying your Mach E's??

Hoping to join the club before too long!!

Thank you!
Sponsored

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I'm in Centennial and waiting for my Premium EXT AWD that's scheduled to start production the week of 1/3. I have a few questions to this smaller group after reading through countless forum posts:

1. With the sun and heat we typically get, have any of you had any concerns with the glass roof?
2. There are several owners who complain a lot about the bouncy ride. Has this been a major issue for any of you? I can never tell if it's a few people on a forum overexaggerating the issue of it's a legitimate concern.
3. Have any of you had an L2 Charger installed through Xcel? Or through anyone else that may make the cost worthwhile (through rebates/credits)? I'm leaning towards just getting a 240 outlet installed that i can use the supplied charger with, but I'm open to other ideas.

Thank you!
I'm in Denver and the sun/heat are a non-issue with the glass roof. I do worry about hale but I keep my car garaged on stormy days.

The ride does feel a bit bouncy, but it isn't bad at all in my opinion. It handles the bumpy roads in the Denver metro nicely.

I went with a ChargePoint charger. I really like the features and it one of a couple of approved Xcel chargers that get you discounts.

I have a few videos on the topics above on our YouTube channel. Here is a playlist of some of our road trips. On the San Diego to Denver trip, we had temps in 110s and it was fine. If you touch the glass it was really hot, but you didn't feel the heat radiating into the car.

Below is also the video that I made about charging options and why I picked the ChargePoint.

Road trip videos:

Home charging video:

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag

Thank you!
1) I have always kept my panaramic roof in Audi, BMW, and Porsche cars closed as the sun bothered me greatly. That said, the MME is wonderful - no complaints. Never even notice it's open.

2) No issues with bouncy ride. I've run into ONE road that I could feel a minor bouncy oscillation on. And it was minor. I can see if that happened often that it would be annoying.

3) I installed my own, OpenEVSE.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag

Congrats, it has been a great car!

1. The glass roof has been fine for me, drove it all summer and didn’t feel the need for it to be darker. I am intending to get the front windows tinted darker, however.

2. I can tell what they mean - on some of our concrete roads where the individual “panels” have shifted a bit I can get a bit of a bouncing oscillation at 40 mph or so. That said, I rarely notice it, and while it isn’t perfect, it hasn’t detracted from my enjoyment of the car.

3. I installed a GrizzlE charger myself, the Xcel deals at the time didn’t seem very lucrative, and I don’t have room to install an additional meter or anything. With the upcoming change to time of use metering our costs for nighttime charging should get quite low.

Keyk4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Country flag

Thank you!
1. No issues at all

2. You can feel it if the road is REALLY crappy.

3. I installed a ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired. Rebates make it worth it and I keep the supplied charger in the car.

OP
OP

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you all for your responses - super helpful!!

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag

Thank you!
I'm only at 1000 miles or so in the 3 weeks I've had it, so YMMV
1. Can't report on this yet as I haven't had the car in the summer.
2. The ride is bouncy on 285, especially coming down from N. Turkey Creek road to Morrison. But, the bounce is nothing compared to driving that same stretch in my F-350 long bed. I have not noticed the bounce anywhere else.
3. IMHO, the best thing to do is install a 240V/50 amp circuit with a plug. Then you can use virtually any EVSE. In driving an EV for 5+ years, my experience is that its far better to leave the OEM supplied EVSE in the car for away from home use than to use it at home. There might also be an issue with using the OEM supplied EVSE on a continuous basis vs. occasional use. The EVSE supplied by BMW with my old i3 was not rated for everyday, continuous use and several owners reported EVSE failures when they tried to use that as their only EVSE. I'm not sure how the Ford-supplied EVSE rates, but I'd opt for a permanent home EVSE that plugs in. FWIW, I have a JuiceBox 40 that is over 7 years old now and its still going strong.

OP
OP

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car is in KC after finally being shipped from the plant! For any of you that have received your car in the past few months, I'm curious how long it took to get to your dealer after being in KC. Thanks!

Keyk4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Country flag
My car is in KC after finally being shipped from the plant! For any of you that have received your car in the past few months, I'm curious how long it took to get to your dealer after being in KC. Thanks!
FWIW, in Feb 2021 my FE took approx 15 days to get from KC to the railyard in Brighton. Then 2 days to get to Greeley.

Earplug

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT-PE
Country flag
Ordered 9/30/21
Built Email February 28,2022
Shipped email March 9, 2022
Original Delivery March 30 - April 5
Stuck in Missouri
New Delivery May 17-23

I have told that there is a problem at the rail yard in Brighton that there are not enough trucks to get the vehicles from the Brighton yard to the dealers.

jcloudm

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT PE
Country flag
Mine got to the railyard in Colorado and sat there for two months before it could get to Fort Collins.

Re: your Xcel question. I paid for my own ChargePoint EVSE and Xcel reimbursed me $500 in installation costs (https://ev.xcelenergy.com/home-wiring-rebate). I didn't want to do a lease deal. I chose hard wired so I could put it on a 60A circuit and max out the 48A charger in the MachE. If you use a 240V outlet/plug you will top out at 40A.

Then at first I enrolled with Xcel under the Optimize Your Charge program, which monitors your ChargePoint and makes sure you have a schedule set on the EVSE that is during lower demand periods. It seemed to work fine and I think I was getting about $50 a year in incentives. I found it mildly annoying to get it to work with the schedule in the car itself but eventually got it to work by setting the MachE to start charging an hour after the ChargePoint schedule.

However, a few weeks ago they offered me Xcel Charging Perks (https://ev.xcelenergy.com/charging-perks) which is a pilot but pays $100 a year if you have level 2 supply equipment. They sent me a $100 gift card as soon as I enrolled. It may end this year, but I can always switch back to Optimize Your Charge if that happens. In this program (which is not compatible with Optimize Your Charge), every time you plug in Xcel tells the car when they want it to charger. You remove the schedule from the ChargePoint. This is both better for me financially and I think better for the environment as well because they really optimize demand based on capacity. The regulatory document about it (https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe-responsive/Company/Rates & Regulations/Charging-Perks-Pilot-Product-Write-Up.pdf?msclkid=8d6679feb94311ec9301fc15fde7ec9b) describes this as one of the few ways Xcel can create demand when they have excess supply. By default they will always make sure you are fully charged by your departure time (or 24 hours if you don't have a departure time set). Plus there is a way you can override the schedule by sending a text if you need it to definitely charge at a given time. Lots more details from Ford are available here: https://www.ford.com/grid/xcel.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your car! It's great.

Last edited:

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I live practically in Brighton… mine was about 7 days from railyard to dealership. Watch the trucking company site for the signed delivery notice and that’s your sign it’s been delivered. I can try to dig up a link tomorrow if ya like.

OP
OP

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live practically in Brighton… mine was about 7 days from railyard to dealership. Watch the trucking company site for the signed delivery notice and that’s your sign it’s been delivered. I can try to dig up a link tomorrow if ya like.
That would be great, thank you!

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
OP
OP

wombats3

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry for the delay; had to look through everything and find it:

https://www.unitedroad.com/delivery-receipt

This is likely the trucking company used for you if anything like me. Mine didn't show up, until suddenly it did the day it was signed for and released to the dealer...
Thank you!

So, I just checked it and it showed up! I'm confused though because when I look at the OrderTrack site, it says in transit with 86 other vehicles. So, is it on a train from KC (or still being loaded) or on the truck? I don't know what to think.

unitedroad.JPG

ordertrack.JPG