Columbus OH test drive

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Central Ohioans - Germain Ford just got in a Premium demo Mach E. I got to take it on a quick test drive today. No real surprises based on what we've all read 100s of times now. There was no front plate bracket on the demo or on the customer-ordered Mach E that was waiting to be picked up.

My thoughts: the ride is nicer and it is quieter than the MYP I test drove, but there was noticeable wind noise at 75 mph with the radio off. Turning the radio up to only about 6 or 7 almost completely drowned out the wind noise, so I'll probably rarely notice it in the real world. MYP is definitely faster (duh), but, I only really noticed it above 45mph. The frunk is surprisingly shallow and difficult to close. I was 0 for 2 on getting it completely close, and I knew going in that it would take some effort. The MY cargo area seemed bigger. The propulsion sound is awful. 1PD in Unbridled will brake faster than the MY (I think). Engage/Whisper felt pretty similar to the MY 1PD. Even though the dimensions are nearly identical, the MachE feels and drives like a smaller vehicle than the MY, if that makes sense. I experienced only very slight lag with the Sync, and only when switching from one menu to another. The tires look really skinny in real life, but grip seemed ok.

I have a Rapid Red on order, but I am considering switching to Infinite Blue. The IB looks *way* better in person than in photos. I didn't get to see it on a Mach E, but they had a couple of Explorers in IB. If you are thinking about IB, I recommend hunting down an IB Explorer to see it in person.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
My thoughts: the ride is nicer and it is quieter than the MYP I test drove, but there was noticeable wind noise at 75 mph with the radio off.
thanks for you post!

serious q - yesterday in my part of Ohio (along Lake Erie basically), there were crazy high winds from Thursday night until sometime Friday late afternoon... literally 35 MPH+. Woke me up Thursday night...

was that true down in Columbus as well? Just wondering how typical the wind noise experience was, if it was inherent to the car or if it was because circumstances were just strange?

OP
OP
OH2AZ2OH

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
thanks for you post!

serious q - yesterday in my part of Ohio (along Lake Erie basically), there were crazy high winds from Thursday night until sometime Friday late afternoon... literally 35 MPH+. Woke me up Thursday night...

was that true down in Columbus as well? Just wondering how typical the wind noise experience was, if it was inherent to the car or if it was because circumstances were just strange?
You know, it is harder than I expected to find yesterday's weather report. During my test drive, there were 10-15 mph winds from the WSW. I was driving almost straight into it. So, even though the Ground Speed indicated 75 mph, the outside Air Speed was closer to 90. Maybe they'll add a pitot tube for 2022. :)

OP
OP
OH2AZ2OH

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
thanks for you post!

Side note, I used to live in Mentor-on-the-Lake, and when the Lake got angry, whoooo boy... Where are you?

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Central Ohioans - Germain Ford just got in a Premium demo Mach E. I got to take it on a quick test drive today. No real surprises based on what we've all read 100s of times now. There was no front plate bracket on the demo or on the customer-ordered Mach E that was waiting to be picked up.

My thoughts: the ride is nicer and it is quieter than the MYP I test drove, but there was noticeable wind noise at 75 mph with the radio off. Turning the radio up to only about 6 or 7 almost completely drowned out the wind noise, so I'll probably rarely notice it in the real world. MYP is definitely faster (duh), but, I only really noticed it above 45mph. The frunk is surprisingly shallow and difficult to close. I was 0 for 2 on getting it completely close, and I knew going in that it would take some effort. The MY cargo area seemed bigger. The propulsion sound is awful. 1PD in Unbridled will brake faster than the MY (I think). Engage/Whisper felt pretty similar to the MY 1PD. Even though the dimensions are nearly identical, the MachE feels and drives like a smaller vehicle than the MY, if that makes sense. I experienced only very slight lag with the Sync, and only when switching from one menu to another. The tires look really skinny in real life, but grip seemed ok.

I have a Rapid Red on order, but I am considering switching to Infinite Blue. The IB looks *way* better in person than in photos. I didn't get to see it on a Mach E, but they had a couple of Explorers in IB. If you are thinking about IB, I recommend hunting down an IB Explorer to see it in person.
Nice report. Thanks!

I have a Star White Premium AWD on order from Germain.
Since Ohio changed the law last year, my salesperson said all the vehicles coming in don’t have the front plate bracket installed.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Side note, I used to live in Mentor-on-the-Lake, and when the Lake got angry, whoooo boy... Where are you?
on the West Side, Lorain County. You just lived on the wrong side. ??

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. I saw Krieger Ford also got a shipment today as well; hope to check one out soon.

woodywx

First Name
w
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Ca Rt 1, 2017 C-max titanium plugin
Country flag

I test drove an all black one...really glad I ordered infinite blue...one problem with the all black is that the subtle fastback look is missing

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Nice report. Thanks!

I have a Star White Premium AWD on order from Germain.
Since Ohio changed the law last year, my salesperson said all the vehicles coming in don’t have the front plate bracket installed.
So my dealer gave me their demo to drive this week until I pick mine up (Waikem in Massillon) and I beg to differ on that front plate. Hoping you are right on mine!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Columbus OH test drive 30234A4C-FF26-40C6-A79B-A114EE4966DA

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So my dealer gave me their demo to drive this week until I pick mine up (Waikem in Massillon) and I beg to differ on that front plate. Hoping you are right on mine!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Columbus OH test drive 30234A4C-FF26-40C6-A79B-A114EE4966DA
Wow! I hope so too. I made it clear I didn’t want one.