Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 mach e premium awd ext battery
Occupation
Pm
Country flag
I have a gut wrenching decesion looming quickly this coming week. I have been on the fence from making the transition to full Bev over the last year and have had my sites on the mach e
I actually had an opportunity last spring on getting my hands on a 22 AWD premium ER mach e early last spring and almost made the leap then. I decided to wait (and thankfully) it worked out with a few of the major issues I have read about on forums that have been resolved on newer builds (HVBJVB, etc). I had another dealer reach out to me last week for yet another 22 premium AWD ER available AT MSRP and I can take delivery of it this week. Apparently the person opted for a lightning instead and walked away from the order. I know some folks are probably going to ask why would you want to walk from the phev…. I have a few reasons
1) driving in ev mode is very addicting, such a smooth, quiet ride
2) there is a known high voltage cable corrosion issue impacting Toyotas/Lexus hybrid and phev currently or will be in the near future
3) feel the time is right to move as the 7500 tax incentive is available until the end of year.
And 4) long term maintenance is so much cheaper on the mme compared to the nx. Now I am on the fence for a few reasons that at are a little concerning mostly
1) my nx is very smooth riding for the most part, and very comfortable. I have read many posts about folks complaining about the bouncing that occurs from the suspension on the mme. what I have not been able to find is if it has been corrected for the 22 premiums. 2)Also how is the cushioning of the seats as in so they “wrap” around you or are they smushy, etc.
3)essentially would be curious as to if anyone has traded in their luxury type vehicle (and phev) for an mme and any regrets or looking back??
thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We also have an Audi Q5 PHEV. I like driving my Mach E better. They are both nice cars though. I agree, the Audi just makes me wish it could run full BEV all the time.

Edit: adding some more context. We drive the Audi on longs trips still. I’m not dealing with the public charging in the Midwest quite yet. The ride quality is also smoother with the Audi. If that’s important to you, definitely do a good test drive. I’m happy with the Mach E but it’s my around town car (I still put 13k miles a year on it though).

OP
OP

Kkick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pm
Country flag
We also have an Audi Q5 PHEV. I like driving my Mach E better. They are both nice cars though. I agree, the Audi just makes me wish it could run full BEV all the time.

Edit: adding some more context. We drive the Audi on longs trips still. I’m not dealing with the public charging in the Midwest quite yet. The ride quality is also smoother with the Audi. If that’s important to you, definitely do a good test drive. I’m happy with the Mach E but it’s my around town car (I still put 13k miles a year on it though).
thanks for the response. That’s the one nagging part of this puzzle is there are no available mach e’s available to test drive or even rent around here (SW MI). I would be charging at home as well and most of my driving is within a 50 mile r/t and on occasion maybe a couple hundred miles so would have to deal with the charging stations.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
thanks for the response. That’s the one nagging part of this puzzle is there are no available mach e’s available to test drive or even rent around here (SW MI). I would be charging at home as well and most of my driving is within a 50 mile r/t and on occasion maybe a couple hundred miles so would have to deal with the charging stations.
did you check turo?

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I came from a 2019 Lexus RX. The suspension on the Mach is stiff compared to the Lexus suspension. But other than that I quite enjoy my Mach. I feel that the Mach seats are comfortable with enough cushion for me. If you can test drive one on bumpy roads that’ll give you a good perspective.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’ve taken trips up to 150 miles away (300 round trip). It was great. Stopping once is no big deal (I have the standard range model). But I wouldn’t want to take it on a 600 mile trip in the winter right now so I’m glad we have the option to drive the Audi still.

OP
OP

Kkick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pm
Country flag
I’ve taken trips up to 150 miles away (300 round trip). It was great. Stopping once is no big deal (I have the standard range model). But I wouldn’t want to take it on a 600 mile trip in the winter right now so I’m glad we have the option to drive the Audi still.
I have read the horror stories of the newer chargers and the slow, dreadfully slow charging. This is an extended range so a little better but yes the charging might be challenging for longer trips.

OP
OP

Kkick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pm
Country flag
I came from a 2019 Lexus RX. The suspension on the Mach is stiff compared to the Lexus suspension. But other than that I quite enjoy my Mach. I feel that the Mach seats are comfortable with enough cushion for me. If you can test drive one on bumpy roads that’ll give you a good perspective.
Thanks. Yes the rx is a little more spacious than the nx and heard a little more “plush”. Is this your full time driver now? Have you road tripped with it?? On a side note…. Finding a bumpy road in michigan won’t be as difficult to find as a mach e to test drive. Haha

Up and Over

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT, Iconic Silver
Country flag
Came from a Lexus NX and I have not been disappointed. There are the occasional glitches with the MME but my Lexus had some quirks too.

OP
OP

Kkick

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pm
Country flag
Came from a Lexus NX and I have not been disappointed. There are the occasional glitches with the MME but my Lexus had some quirks too.
Thanks for the response. If you don’t mind me asking what year and model (nx)? Thank you.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks. Yes the rx is a little more spacious than the nx and heard a little more “plush”. Is this your full time driver now? Have you road tripped with it?? On a side note…. Finding a bumpy road in michigan won’t be as difficult to find as a mach e to test drive. Haha
Yep the Mach is my daily driver. It’s a little more spacious for me than the RX. I’m tall and bc the Mach has that flat, skateboard floor design, I have slightly more legroom and hip room in the Mach than I had in the RX.

I’ve road tripped the Mach several times since March and I’m currently on a road trip here in FL. My road trips in the Mach tend to be about 205 miles one way. It’s a nice road tripper for me. I use EvGo primarily on my trips and they’ve been flawless for me. If I have to use EA, it’s more of a fingers crossed, read plug share and hope the best.

I have a standard range Mach select.

I should add that if Lexus had the RZ ready at the time I was looking at the Mach, I would have given it a hard look…..obvi. But the more I read about the upcoming RZ the more concerned I am about how serious Toyota/Lexus is about BEVs. From what I’ve read, the battery in the RZ will small compared to Mach and the charging rate is supposedly slow. And when you read the comments from Toyota leadership reading BEVs, I can see how they may have gotten to the place of not developing the RZ so that it’s competitive in the marketplace.

Last edited:

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Regarding the ride, it's definitely not "fixed" in the '22s. I switched from a '21 to a '22 (both 4Xs), and while the ride was great for the first couple hundred miles, it broke in and was back to the same old bone-rattler.

I still love it, but if you're after a smooth ride, a Mach E is not for you (except maybe GTPE/Magneride)

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I never really get those plug in hybrid. Costs a lot more than the gas version. 0-60 time in EV only mode is like 8-10 secs. The electric range is way too short. Short commute = low gas $$ saving. Run on the crippled tiny motor for the majority of time and only use the gas engine on long trips seems like a massive waste to me. Basically paying massive $$ for the engine and transmission just to have it sit there 90% of time. Should just get the BEV and enjoy the instant torque acceleration and gas saving every day. The occasional DC charger frustration on long trips is worth it.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Mach e has more of a sports car feel and rides like one. The positive steering is also like a sports car, and hugging the curves is not like a luxury car. You can’t compare the two cars, and what I suspect happens is opinions form based on what people last drove. I am glad you might rent one. Only you can decide by comparing.
I can also say we are happy to own a Mach e and glad we have magneride.

these are things to consider:
If you live in extreme cold areas you might not like the 30% reduction of range in winter.

your trips beyond 230 miles will depend on available chargers. For instance during holidays open chargers are hard to find.

it takes a while to get used to single pedal. Personally I prefer two pedal as it is smoother in response, so no bounce On the braking.(With magneride especially)

if you have solar you will appreciate the free charging. other than 3 months of the winter. If you are looking for a huge saving in transportation, that’s the way to go. Our winter e bill for car and also electricity is $40 a month. $0 in the summer. 👍

it’s a beautiful car, handles great. But again, it depends on what you are used to and how many miles you drive.
Sponsored