Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OutofSpec Review posted a performance review on the new Kia EV6 GT, in which he, once again, slams the MME GT for its 5 second performance limitation.

as more and more manufacturers start producing performance editions of their EV’s, this design flaw is going to accordingly hurt the MME brand.

Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
until temp sensors are in all the right places, and software is changed to look at actual sensor temps rather than clamp down on output using 'calculated' heat transfer times to dissipate heat, then changing the Ford algorythm would likely affect life of motor, inverter, and/or battery and 3rd party hack to software for racing would certainly negate drivetrain warranty.... but it's only a matter of time before software is hacked.

so.... stock MMEs will NOT be the quickest thing on the street (at any trim level).
But, they may be quick enough for *most* people that are not racing, and they may actually outlast their warranty on drivetrain/battery.

Does the average driver push the limits of traction? need tunable suspension? need Brembo brakes? drag race needing 10 seconds WOT, or road race needing full WOT/regen recovery times to be less than 5 seconds?
.... no, but plenty of people buy GT or Performance trims just to point to the spec sheets.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I hate the 5-second limitation but I'm stuck with it. If I really want to have fun I have something else. I still don't like the limit and when the Gen2 car comes out I'll probably wait a couple of years for it to get sussed out and replace my '21 with that. Until then, if I want to have real fun I can burn gas. 🤪🐩

At least the GT-PE handles better than the Kia so it's still more fun in the twisties. It's just no fun coming out of a corner. 🤬🐩

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
In the Mach E GT review by out of spec, when the 5 seconds restriction kicked in and then when he reached the top of the hill, the stats that Kyle showed indicated that the battery was not actually hot or anything. Ford is just cutting power without actually detecting a problem. I guess they are just being over cautious.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I'm kind of split on this... yeah the 5 sec limiter is a hinderance (and fun to make jokes about), but are crossover SUV's the first thing that comes to mind for those who are looking to race cars on tracks/drag strips?

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
I will get yelled at by a certain group but that's fine

Its the HVJB or whatever, ford completely cheapo depo'ed this part like everything and its a truly crippling aspect.

I feel every MME owner should start a class action for it and have them /truly/ fix the issue. Even a BASE model MUSTANG should be made in a way to support performance and go fastness etc

Also sad is the fact on 'unbridled' a full throttle is... Throttled and not just a power dump. My stupid 2012 Leaf jumped the line more than my 'mustang'

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
“Once again slams MME GT 5 second limit.”

As it should. I’m happy with my car. But it should be said loudly and often.

FORD COULD DO BETTER.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
until temp sensors are in all the right places, and software is changed to look at actual sensor temps rather than clamp down on output using 'calculated' heat transfer times to dissipate heat, then changing the Ford algorythm would likely affect life of motor, inverter, and/or battery and 3rd party hack to software for racing would certainly negate drivetrain warranty.... but it's only a matter of time before software is hacked.

so.... stock MMEs will NOT be the quickest thing on the street (at any trim level).
But, they may be quick enough for *most* people that are not racing, and they may actually outlast their warranty on drivetrain/battery.

Does the average driver push the limits of traction? need tunable suspension? need Brembo brakes? drag race needing 10 seconds WOT, or road race needing full WOT/regen recovery times to be less than 5 seconds?
.... no, but plenty of people buy GT or Performance trims just to point to the spec sheets.
Just so you know, when I bench race someone, it usually last for more than 5 secs.

OP
OP
blkadr08

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I’m definitely in the “So what” group, personally. I’ve had my car for two years, and I have never needed more than a 5 second burst. My drag racing days are pretty much behind me..

But, having said that, the fact remains, If Ford sells a car representing Itself to be a high performance car and it isnt, it smacks Of snake oil and hurts the entire brand.

And it appears the cars will need more than software changes. They will need substantial reinforcement of busses, conneimg cables and other mechanical improvements..

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'm kind of split on this... yeah the 5 sec limiter is a hinderance (and fun to make jokes about), but are crossover SUV's the first thing that comes to mind for those who are looking to race cars on tracks/drag strips?
I haven’t done that yet, but I bought the car with the intent of a track day or three through its lifetime. Of course, I have even put the beyond barge-sized (more like an aircraft carrier) 1969 Cadillac on the track once or twice, so I am game for almost anything on the track. 🤪🐩

Disclaimer: I have spent more time on the track in my Celica. No dragons were harmed in the performance of said track duties. 😊🐩

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I haven’t done that yet, but I bought the car with the intent of a track day or three through its lifetime. Of course, I have even put the beyond barge-sized (more like an aircraft carrier) 1969 Cadillac on the track once or twice, so I am game for almost anything on the track. 🤪🐩

Disclaimer: I have spent more time on the track in my Celica. No dragons were harmed in the performance of said track duties. 😊🐩
track and auto-cross fun can be managed with 'classes', and even a barge can be competitive with a good driver.

horsepower specs have always been kinda like weightlifter muscles in my opinion... mostly for show rather than GO.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
track and auto-cross fun can be managed with 'classes', and even a barge can be competitive with a good driver.

horsepower specs have always been kinda like weightlifter muscles in my opinion... mostly for show rather than GO.
At my very first Autocross, I brought my miata. I thought at the very least, I would finish in the top half. Needless to say, I was thoroughly humbled by a guy with a stock Pontiac Baretta. Should of known when I saw him checking his tire pressure.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Ha-ha. I’m a marginal driver. 🤪🐩

randomvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Honestly, I really don't think it is a big deal. Never in my driving so far even on highways with 75mph+ have I felt that I need more power. Yeah there is a drop off post 70mph but you there is still enough power to pass any cars driving even 10 over the legal limit. Maybe it is just me but I really feel this problem affects like the top 1% owners who take it to the track and want the bragging rights.

Also, no way I would buy an EV6 GT with that sub 200 range.
Sponsored