Concerned about lack of marketing from Ford

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
It's been a few months and there has been nothing, nothing at all, to people who made reservations. I would have expected some emails with videos and pictures showing progress at the plant, highlighting specific features, etc. But NADA! If their marketing is this badly executed, can their engineering really be that superior?
Sponsored

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
My guess is that the auto shows were where they were hoping to create all the buzz, and then when cars were available to test drive, that EV reviewers would carry the water. I agree that the dealerships haven't done much - I was just trading emails with my dealer of choice and they didn't know I had picked them... - but they have gotten some good press even through COVID lock down - so that was refreshing. I think they were taking a page out of the Tesla playbook, where "spotting in the wild" social media posts drive all their engagement pre-launch. So I didn't think dealership needed to spend the money yet...

I think they know that they don't carry the buzz marketing as well as Tesla, and that the proof is in the pudding so-to-speak, being a traditional auto maker, they physically have to prove the car's worth, which can't occur without physical cars being driven - hence auto show cancellations killing their marketing approach through the Spring/Summer...

My guess (wild as it may be) is that they will turn it on summer/fall. The key is two-fold - mass appeal (mass marketing, roadshows, dealership push, etc), and get all the Tesla fanboy reviewers to be shocked and awed by it and let social media reviews legitimize the Mach E as a legit EV...its gonna take people driving the car, playing with the technology, and overcoming perceived Electrify America shortcomings to really turn heads from a marketing standpoint. All us first adopters will be on the PR folks' first-call lists to get their story out from "real" people doing real driving, doing real charging.

Reactions: UW2

frinesi2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Golf TDI, '96/97 ZJ 4.0L, '92 Pajero 2.5TD
Country flag
Marketing is usually handled by outside firms, but they need information and access and, well, things that require groups of people and traveling. The information we HAVE seen is about how the engineers are taking the cars home to keep doing software development and validation, how Ford is retooling to produce ventilators and PPE, and how they're trying to get the plants back on line in a limited fashion, etc. Everybody is focused on doing whatever work they can get done during these shutdowns. There is minimal bandwidth left to make marketing material in the midst of all this. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, marketing execution and engineering execution aren't really tied to each other, see: Buell.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My guess is that the auto shows were where they were hoping to create all the buzz
Yes.
hence auto show cancellations killing their marketing approach through the Spring/Summer...
Yes again.
All us first adopters will be on the PR folks' first-call lists
I very much doubt it.

I am not sure what those marketing folks actually do, but in the looming economic downturn where Ford is fighting for its life I don't know that they are up to the task.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My guess (wild as it may be) is that they will turn it on summer/fall.
This wouldn't surprise me at all. At this point, they are probably a bit scared of the prospect they may over promise and under deliver due to Covid-19.

I posted a while back that I thought it would be a good strategy for Ford to push back the reservation-to-order conversion until the plant was up and running, as they could (1) point to cars coming off the lines and (2) people would hopefully feel more assured about their jobs/income/investments and be more willing to buy a car. I don't blame them to be quiet now with a plant that has just barely started back into hobbled pre-production due to Covid-19 limitations and uncertainty of new disease hotspots that could close plants again.

I'm hoping all is going well at Cuautitlan and the Poland LG plant and they can make progress safely (ditto for all the other plants as they reopen, too). Like everyone else, I think Ford is looking for a bit of confidence before going any farther out on a limb.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
While what I think you are getting to might not be marketing spend in a general sense, and rather customer service spend, there is a noticeable lack of information. On the topic of marketing and advertising Personally I’m fine with that- the less they spend on marketing the vehicle, the cheaper they can sell the vehicle for. I don’t know that advertising dollars have as much power any more, in the current media environment. (See Bloomberg, Michael circa 2020) I mean, we’re all here and Ford has allegedly gotten close to the number of reservations they can handle for year one. Notably, Tesla doesn’t advertise and uses that as a point of cost efficiency.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not much to be gained by marketing the MME any further. Ford already has enough buyers lined up to purchase these as fast as they can build them. Spending money on more marketing isn't cost effective right now. If/when production capacity increases then it's a different story, but until then....

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
Ford is literally fighting for its life right now. Worrying about a compliance car (50,000 is compliance numbers for them) that really doesnt make profit like pickups do, I wouldnt expect a peep as theres too many variables to know when the car might be produced with covid or even if its going to be produced. If no one is buying cars all the way to Dec and gas is dirt cheap, are they really going to put out this vehicle?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not much to be gained by marketing the MME any further. Ford already has enough buyers lined up to purchase these as fast as they can build them. Spending money on more marketing isn't cost effective right now. If/when production capacity increases then it's a different story, but until then....
Exactly. Every model is pretty much on hold right now, not just the Mach-e. Most dealerships aren't even open. I don't even remember seeing car ads on TV since March.

As others said, car shows were clearly going to be the showcase for the Mach-e, as they were in Jan-Feb. But everything is on hold now. And we're still like 7 months away from delivery.

Last edited:

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It's been a few months and there has been nothing, nothing at all, to people who made reservations. I would have expected some emails with videos and pictures showing progress at the plant, highlighting specific features, etc. But NADA! If their marketing is this badly executed, can their engineering really be that superior?
You had to confirm the email address used to put in your reservation, then log in and check the box for emails. I have had many emails since I signed up in November. They are still coming, although the last one was March 3. Guess they are busy making protective gear and such.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You had to confirm the email address used to put in your reservation, then log in and check the box for emails. I have had many emails since I signed up in November. They are still coming, although the last one was March 3. Guess they are busy making protective gear and such.
You mean the story "Your Mustang Mach-E. Tomorrow’s technology unleashed." It was not much new to readers of this forum and I haven't heard anything since then either, from Ford or my dealer.

I checked my reservation for updates and nothing has changed since November. I decided to be a bit proactive and tried their chat window. Here's what I got there:

Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: You are now chatting with Joy.

Joy: Hello! My name is Joy. How can I help you?
Mark: I reserved my Mustang Mach E back in November and orders were supposed to be taken in May. I've heard nothing from Ford or my dealer in months. What's the status of the Mach E?
Joy: I can certainly see what I can find for you, Mark.

Joy: I'm happy to hear that you were able to reserve the Mach E! I do know that with COVID 19, some things have been delayed. Did you make your reservation online or directly with the dealership?
Mark: online
Mark: for a First Edition
Joy: Have you checked your Ford account for updates online?
Mark: Yes. That's where I reached this chat. The status online hasn't changed since Nov/Dec. Also, I have received no news or information on the Mach E from Ford or dealer since December.
Joy: OK. Please hold.

Joy: I appreciate your patience. I will be with you shortly.

Joy: Thanks for holding, Mark. I will need to escalate your concern further for you. Someone will reach out to you within 2 business days with an update. Can I please have your phone number, reservation number and the date the reservation was completed?

Mark: Reservation was made 11/17/19 during the launch event. Reservation 10005541. Phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Joy: Thank you! We will contact you via email. Your reference number is CAS-xxxxxxxxxxxxx. I cannot guarantee that we will have updated information to provide, but we are definitely checking more in to this for you. You may click on the “+” sign at the bottom of this window to, print, email or end this conversation. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Mark: That's all for now. I'll wait to see what I hear. Thanks.
Joy: You're very welcome! Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. Please take a short survey to rate my service. Click on the "X" in the top right hand corner to launch the survey. Have a great day!

I gave "Joy" top marks on friendliness, bottom marks on information provided. 20 minutes and I know nothing more than when I started. Now let's see what happens.

I'm glad Ford isn't spending too much on marketing or advertising at this point. However, they really should be paying more attention to customer service as their current level of attention is pretty much zero.

OP
OP

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
You mean the story "Your Mustang Mach-E. Tomorrow’s technology unleashed." It was not much new to readers of this forum and I haven't heard anything since then either, from Ford or my dealer.

I checked my reservation for updates and nothing has changed since November. I decided to be a bit proactive and tried their chat window. Here's what I got there:

Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: You are now chatting with Joy.

Joy: Hello! My name is Joy. How can I help you?
Mark: I reserved my Mustang Mach E back in November and orders were supposed to be taken in May. I've heard nothing from Ford or my dealer in months. What's the status of the Mach E?
Joy: I can certainly see what I can find for you, Mark.

Joy: I'm happy to hear that you were able to reserve the Mach E! I do know that with COVID 19, some things have been delayed. Did you make your reservation online or directly with the dealership?
Mark: online
Mark: for a First Edition
Joy: Have you checked your Ford account for updates online?
Mark: Yes. That's where I reached this chat. The status online hasn't changed since Nov/Dec. Also, I have received no news or information on the Mach E from Ford or dealer since December.
Joy: OK. Please hold.

Joy: I appreciate your patience. I will be with you shortly.

Joy: Thanks for holding, Mark. I will need to escalate your concern further for you. Someone will reach out to you within 2 business days with an update. Can I please have your phone number, reservation number and the date the reservation was completed?

Mark: Reservation was made 11/17/19 during the launch event. Reservation 10005541. Phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Joy: Thank you! We will contact you via email. Your reference number is CAS-xxxxxxxxxxxxx. I cannot guarantee that we will have updated information to provide, but we are definitely checking more in to this for you. You may click on the “+” sign at the bottom of this window to, print, email or end this conversation. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Mark: That's all for now. I'll wait to see what I hear. Thanks.
Joy: You're very welcome! Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. Please take a short survey to rate my service. Click on the "X" in the top right hand corner to launch the survey. Have a great day!

I gave "Joy" top marks on friendliness, bottom marks on information provided. 20 minutes and I know nothing more than when I started. Now let's see what happens.

I'm glad Ford isn't spending too much on marketing or advertising at this point. However, they really should be paying more attention to customer service as their current level of attention is pretty much zero.
Clearly "Joy" has no clue on the Mach E. A chatbot could have done that convo better.