Confirm by August 31st so your Mustang Mach‍-‍E can be prioritized for production

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I got a email from Ford saying there was a problem with my reservation. When I went to my page, I see that the order was submitted but the dealer has not accepted it. I contacted the dealer and now they say before they accept the order I have to come into the showroom and meet with one of our sales reps to review the order together, fill out a formal buyers order and take a credit application from you if you intend to finance or lease. We will then push the order through to the factory and your deposit will be transferred to us for credit towards the car when it arrives.

This doesnt sound right, as my understanding is that the dealer is supposed to accept the order and figure out financing later when they start producing the car. Am I wrong here?
This is where Ford's weakness lies -- inconsistent dealer decisions and messaging. The dealer probably is within their rights to require this. No, you don't have to get a credit check this early but they might want you to.

They probably want more assurance you really want the car. They're probably more comfortable with the tactics used to coerce customers by getting them "in the chair". If they want a credit application, they may even plan to turn you over to the F&I Manager. You may even get the full rope-a-dope and have the GM come in.

You can also find another dealer in the area you would be more comfortable with and reply with pressure about switching dealers. They problem is, now that the reservation is accepted and been handed off to the dealer, it's hard to move it to a different dealer. However, they might not know that. You can also tell them you're uncomfortable with coming inside their dealership due to COVID-19.

The flip side is they may just be doing their due diligence and it'll be fine. Of course, we are dealing with car dealers here.
Sponsored

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
This is where Ford's weakness lies -- inconsistent dealer decisions and messaging. The dealer probably is within their rights to require this. No, you don't have to get a credit check this early but they might want you to.

They probably want more assurance you really want the car. They're probably more comfortable with the tactics used to coerce customers by getting them "in the chair". If they want a credit application, they may even plan to turn you over to the F&I Manager. You may even get the full rope-a-dope and have the GM come in.

You can also find another dealer in the area you would be more comfortable with and reply with pressure about switching dealers. They problem is, now that the reservation is accepted and been handed off to the dealer, it's hard to move it to a different dealer. However, they might not know that. You can also tell them you're uncomfortable with coming inside their dealership due to COVID-19.

The flip side is they may just be doing their due diligence and it'll be fine. Of course, we are dealing with car dealers here.
It does seem shady that they want me to come in and "confirm" everything since its pretty much listed right there on the order sheet. I did email them saying I thought they had to accept the order first or else I would lose my place in production line, and I had not made a decision whether to lease or finance as a ton of things can change in 5 months. Lets see if they try to give me the hard sell to come in or not.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I got a email from Ford saying there was a problem with my reservation. When I went to my page, I see that the order was submitted but the dealer has not accepted it. I contacted the dealer and now they say before they accept the order I have to come into the showroom and meet with one of our sales reps to review the order together, fill out a formal buyers order and take a credit application from you if you intend to finance or lease. We will then push the order through to the factory and your deposit will be transferred to us for credit towards the car when it arrives.

This doesnt sound right, as my understanding is that the dealer is supposed to accept the order and figure out financing later when they start producing the car. Am I wrong here?
come into the showroom and meet with one of our sales reps to review the order together: This part sounds OK to make sure your order configuration is correct. My dealer confirmed my configuration via a PDF in an email, but each store is different.

fill out a formal buyers order : No... No way, You would not sign a buyers order until vehicle delivery and you have inspected / test drove the vehicle and decided it is acceptable to you. If you sign a buyers order you are committed to taking the vehicle when it arrives, even if there are unacceptable/unforeseen issues.

and take a credit application from you if you intend to finance or lease: Credit applications are only good for a limited time (your credit profile changes every month when the bureaus update and we have a long way to go before deliveries start) so, No I would not fill out a credit application until vehicle delivery either. You don't want extra credit inquiries to bring down your FICO.

We will then push the order through to the factory and your deposit will be transferred to us for credit towards the car when it arrives: That's not how the deposit works. The reservation deposit from Ford will be refunded to you. The dealer is supposed to collect a new deposit from you (which you should have done when you submitted your order online).

Like @ChasingCoral said, if the dealer is playing games then advise them you'll look into transferring your order to another Ford store. See if that straightens them out. The Ford Help line should be able to help you transfer to another dealer if your chosen dealer has not accepted your order.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag

I would definitely look to move your order to another dealer if you still can. I know you can't once the accept it. They need to make your life easier, not more difficult.

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag

That also happened to me, just contact your dealer. Mine did not know he was supposed to accept the order. Once they did I go confirmation my order was accepted. But it still took two weeks after I called the dealer and he confirmed the order was accepted with a screenshot.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The dealership are worried people wont buy the car and it will sit. Its ground breaking for ford. Order online, electric vehicle. There are dealers with 50 plus reservations that when they contacted the buyer they never turned them into orders.
They are just trying to protect their own business as you would if you owned it. Are there shady car dealerships (yes). On a new vehicle like the mach-e it's more like here it is do you want it.

This is all new waters for ford and ford dealerships. I signed a paper with my dealer, more like a good faith I really wanted it and they broke down the cost , minus the ford employee plan still.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Confirm by August 31st so your Mustang Mach‍-‍E can be prioritized for production 1597783163713

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
There are dealers with 50 plus reservations that when they contacted the buyer they never turned them into orders.
Hmm, I'm wondering how many reservations will never be turned into orders. Hopefully a lot of them reserved before me so I moved up in the line :D. I would guess that a fair number of people have changed their minds due to "unplanned events".

4pac

First Name
Sphen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE/TeslaY
Country flag
That also happened to me, just contact your dealer. Mine did not know he was supposed to accept the order. Once they did I go confirmation my order was accepted. But it still took two weeks after I called the dealer and he confirmed the order was accepted with a screenshot.
Mine is insisting they run my credit and sign a buyers agreement. I asked what happens if there is damage or I decide I dont want the car and Im waiting for a response. It seems shady to run credit 5 months out and lock you into a buyers agreement.

Honhme

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV; 2018 Ioniq EV
Occupation
State employee
Country flag
I received the same email today. Glad that I am not the only one.
Also planning on waiting to place the order since don't need delivery of the car until next year. I would like to see the production results. Once I see how long it is from ordering to delivery I than plan better. Hopefully will be able to drive a dealer model before I actually place the order.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So, when I started getting a run around, evasive answers, and an insistence that I come in to review the order, I dropped an email to the COO of the Ford Motor Company. I got an answer within 30 minutes. And a phone call from the GM of the only Ford dealer around here about 3 hours later, followed by a phone call from the owner. I told them I was transferring the order elsewhere and why. They fixed everything extremely fast.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So, when I started getting a run around, evasive answers, and an insistence that I come in to review the order, I dropped an email to the COO of the Ford Motor Company. I got an answer within 30 minutes. And a phone call from the GM of the only Ford dealer around here about 3 hours later, followed by a phone call from the owner. I told them I was transferring the order elsewhere and why. They fixed everything extremely fast.
Well that escalated quickly.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well that escalated quickly.
I left out the adm they were insisting upon charging and demands that the order be placed directly with them instead of online.

I think they were more afraid of losing the Bronco sales than a couple of MME's. But it all worked out.

Squeaky wheel ... meet grease.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I left out the adm they were insisting upon charging and demands that the order be placed directly with them instead of online.

I think they were more afraid of losing the Bronco sales than a couple of MME's. But it all worked out.

Squeaky wheel ... meet grease.
After this, just wait until you take your MME to this dealer for the first service. Almost certain they will put sawdust in your oil. Oh, wait a minute, no oil....

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After this, just wait until you take your MME to this dealer for the first service. Almost certain they will put sawdust in your oil. Oh, wait a minute, no oil....
Sad fact: Almost no one takes their vehicles to the Ford Dealer here for servicing unless it's for warranty work or a recall. They're hardly unique on that around here either. The Chrysler-Jeep-Nissan folks? Never go there, push your Wrangler elsewhere, no matter how far. Toyota? Better than Chrysler but with a worse attitude, worse than Ford. Chevy? Nope. There are a few very good 3rd party EV shops though.

On the plus side, the same Ford dealer has two different maintenance centers on island about 90 miles apart. Both will be able to service BEV's. The closer (time-wise) one I'd use won't be involved in either the sale or delivery. ;)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
On the plus side, the same Ford dealer has two different maintenance centers on island about 90 miles apart. Both will be able to service BEV's. The closer (time-wise) one I'd use won't be involved in either the sale or delivery. ;)
Contrary to popular belief, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. Buy where you like, service where you like.

I recently found a nearby independent mechanic that seems to be good. I'm hoping that it won't be too much longer before the independent mechanic shops have the equipment and know-how needed for maintenance and repairs relating to high voltage components. I'll take my car to a Ford shop for in-warranty work, of course, but anything not covered by warranty, I'd like to have more options.

Back on topic... I got the "last chance to order" email, too. Truly poorly worded, unless they're planning to cancel my (second) reservation on 9/1.
Sponsored