Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD (delivered Jan 2023) Mod Year2022.25
Occupation
Health and Safety
Country flag
HI New Mach E owner here - took delivery 6th Jan of a MAch E. I have a question - Is there a difference between connected car and internet in the car - or are they the same, and do I need the vodaphone plan?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Hi Simon

Quick answer: Yes there’s a difference:)

"Connected car" refers to the car and it's connection to Ford's servers and the internet for the purpose of providing you with live traffic info, the ability to control the car via FordPass app, location data etc. You do not have access to this internet link and it's only useable by the car. This service is included for free with your car for a period of 5 years.

"Internet in the car" is a separate subscription service from Vodafone that allows you to use your car as a personal Wi-fi hotspot. This is handy if you have passengers using items like iPads etc and they need access to an internet connection while in the car. It's a monthly data plan that can be setup here: https://internetinthecar.vodafone.com/

Last edited:

Rjs104

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER 22 Plate in Dark Matter grey
Occupation
Sound Supervisor
Country flag
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread. I'm looking into buying a second hand 2021 Mach E.

I'm curious - with the Connected Car service that is free for 5 years (and presumably transfers with the ownership of the car?) - what happens after 5 years. Can you pay for another 5 years? Does anyone know at what rate?

Many thanks, and thanks for all the insight on this forum!

Richard.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread. I'm looking into buying a second hand 2021 Mach E.

I'm curious - with the Connected Car service that is free for 5 years (and presumably transfers with the ownership of the car?) - what happens after 5 years. Can you pay for another 5 years? Does anyone know at what rate?

Richard.
On the US side of things we're still in a few trial periods with no costs listed, sans bluecruise which is like $600 or something per year.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Hi,

Richard.
I think you are confusing "connected car" with "connected Nav"
Connected car is the way the car "speaks" to Ford's servers for diagnostics/OTA updates etc. This is not controllable by the car owner and there is no subscription required.
Connected Nav is the service which was free for 5 years. As no one has a car that is older than 5 years we don't know how much it will be when you need to resubscribe.
Sponsored