RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yesterday was the third time I have had this exact thing happen, so I am thinking there is some sort of bug with the charging software.

I keep my car set to charge between midnight and five AM seven days a week, and I only charge to 80% most of the time. However on three separate occasions, I have wanted to have the car charge to a higher % due to an upcoming trip the following day. All three times, I wake up and not only did it not charge to 95 or 100% as I had set, but it didn't charge at all. So instead of leaving with a fullish battery, I was leaving for a road trip with a 72% battery. The only setting I am changing is the max percentage from 80 to 95%. As a test last night when I got home from my trip, I decided not to tell it to charge back to 80%, but give it another night trying for 95%. This morning, I woke up to a 95% full battery.

It almost seems like it takes one failed night to get the setting to take to let it charge to a higher percentage. What could be going on? For now I guess I need to set to 95% two nights before I need to go on a trip, which feels real dumb.
Sponsored

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
Did you change the settings after you plugged it in the charger? If so, you should change the settings in the app, let it update the car, and then plug in the vehicle (or if already plugged in, unplug and replug). If you don't want to change the settings, you can hit the button to charge to 100%, but if you do that I believe it will not respect the charging times.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Yesterday was the third time I have had this exact thing happen, so I am thinking there is some sort of bug with the charging software.

I keep my car set to charge between midnight and five AM seven days a week, and I only charge to 80% most of the time. However on three separate occasions, I have wanted to have the car charge to a higher % due to an upcoming trip the following day. All three times, I wake up and not only did it not charge to 95 or 100% as I had set, but it didn't charge at all. So instead of leaving with a fullish battery, I was leaving for a road trip with a 72% battery. The only setting I am changing is the max percentage from 80 to 95%. As a test last night when I got home from my trip, I decided not to tell it to charge back to 80%, but give it another night trying for 95%. This morning, I woke up to a 95% full battery.

It almost seems like it takes one failed night to get the setting to take to let it charge to a higher percentage. What could be going on? For now I guess I need to set to 95% two nights before I need to go on a trip, which feels real dumb.
I have never experienced anything like that; it always works perfectly for me. In fact, I'm leaving for a trip today, and I had it set to charge to 90% instead of my usual 80%.
The only difference is that I don't have any hours set (midnight to 5am) -- I have it set to charge "anytime". Maybe that's where the bug lies?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

I normally have mine set to 80% from 11PM to 9AM weekdays and 12AM to 11 PM weekends. What I do the day before a trip is set the normal daily limit to 90% in the car (not in the app). Then in the morning before I get ready to leave or about 2 hours before I'm going to leave I'll click on "Charge to 100%" in the FordPass app. It normally takes about an hour to replenish every 10% of the battery (240v/50 amp circuit pulling about 40 amp continuous, 9.4 kW per ChargePoint), but that last 10% from 90% to 100% seems to take closer to 1.5 to 1.75 hours. This process has worked several times for me.

OP
OP
RVAtom

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Do you use the app or set it in the car directly?
After the first time I had this happen, I decided to make all of my changes to the schedule in the car, rather than the app, to remove a layer of complexity.

This time in an attempt to try something different, I made my change at the beginning of the day Monday, so I drove around Monday starting and stopping the car a few times with it set to charge to 95% all day. I wondered if a few power cycles in there might have helped, but it did not.

I had to leave at 5:45 AM yesterday for my trip, so I didn't have a ton of recovery time for the failure. I did however check to see how it had done overnight, and was able to grab a few extra electrons while I showered by hitting the charge to 100% button in the app.
Sponsored