dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
After a recent road trip, I'm curious to hear if anyone has done any aftermarket car seat ventilation? If so, what product did you use?

Anxiously awaiting your response,
Sir Sweatsalot
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No, but in my mind this is the biggest miss by Ford on this car.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
AmazonSmile: Zone Tech Black Cooling Car Seat Cushion 2-Pack 12V Automotive Adjustable Temperature Comfortable Cooling Car Seat Cushion : Automotive

I bought this nearly a year ago for my CaRt1. Has a switch on the power cord that I tuck out of the way just to the right of the seat, leave it plugged in all the time to the center 12V power port. The Good: does a decent job of circulating air from the cabin to your thighs and back and in-between. I leave it installed on the driver seat and it is comfortable enough to sit on, don't even notice it is there. Don't know how it would work on the GT seats. The Bad: It is only a fan that blows air through multiple vents in the cushion - no additional cooling. And, it does take some energy to run this fan. The Ugly: Well, it is a fan and it is noisy. The fan hangs down between your legs, so its noise is basically a couple of feet away from your ears. At highway speeds, not as noticeable, but at low speeds, the quiet cabin is quiet no longer.

Bottom line: on hot days it is worth it to run for a few minutes every half hour or so. The MachE cabin cooling is pretty good, but this helps keep me from sweating and feeling sticky against the seat.

Edit, just checked the Amazon link. Mine has an on-off switch. The one that shows now has a dial selector for fan speed, although the description implies it is a thermostat - it is not. This may be a great improvement to have the proper balance between air flow and noise!

2nd edit: The description is misleading on Amazon. There is no cooling of the air. It takes in air that is in the foot well in front of the seat. If that air is cool (helped by your Mach E settings), then you will get "cool" air. This only provides moving ambient temperature air, not cool air. It is worth it to me, however.

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think a bigger miss was not having heated rear seats.
Disagree.

1) I don't know what vehicles have heated rear seats, but I don't know of any.

2) A significant number of people buying this car are either retired, or kids out of home (i.e. disposable income to buy it). I would much rather have that money put towards other features.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Disagree.

2) A significant number of people buying this car are either retired, or kids out of home (i.e. disposable income to buy it). I would much rather have that money put towards other features.
My Lightning that I have now, and several of my previous F-150 crew cabs had heated rear seats in the Lariat trims.

I don't care that my Mach-E has no heated rear seats. I don't sit back there. That's a "back seat world" problem to borrow a phrase.

Mike

Djynn81

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Disagree.

My Dodge Durango and my mother Toyota has rear heated

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
AmazonSmile: Zone Tech Black Cooling Car Seat Cushion 2-Pack 12V Automotive Adjustable Temperature Comfortable Cooling Car Seat Cushion : Automotive

I bought this nearly a year ago for my CaRt1. Has a switch on the power cord that I tuck out of the way just to the right of the seat, leave it plugged in all the time to the center 12V power port. The Good: does a decent job of circulating air from the cabin to your thighs and back and in-between. I leave it installed on the driver seat and it is comfortable enough to sit on, don't even notice it is there. Don't know how it would work on the GT seats. The Bad: It is only a fan that blows air through multiple vents in the cushion - no additional cooling. And, it does take some energy to run this fan. The Ugly: Well, it is a fan and it is noisy. The fan hangs down between your legs, so its noise is basically a couple of feet away from your ears. At highway speeds, not as noticeable, but at low speeds, the quiet cabin is quiet no longer.

Bottom line: on hot days it is worth it to run for a few minutes every half hour or so. The MachE cabin cooling is pretty good, but this helps keep me from sweating and feeling sticky against the seat.

Edit, just checked the Amazon link. Mine has an on-off switch. The one that shows now has a dial selector for fan speed, although the description implies it is a thermostat - it is not. This may be a great improvement to have the proper balance between air flow and noise!

2nd edit: The description is misleading on Amazon. There is no cooling of the air. It takes in air that is in the foot well in front of the seat. If that air is cool (helped by your Mach E settings), then you will get "cool" air. This only provides moving ambient temperature air, not cool air. It is worth it to me, however.
I was actually looking at these last night so glad to hear someone's actually used them! Yea the nose and seat comfort were my biggest concerns, but sounds like it may still be worth it. I wish they made a liquid cooled option...

LeanneL

First Name
Leanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTP
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Disagree.

My 2018 Volt has heated rear seats and it is amazing as I rarely use my heat, we all just use heated seats instead.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Just about every car I’ve owned since 2010 has had heated rear seats. Upper end trucks mainly. Number of times they were actually used in the last 12 years, ONCE that I remember.

BIG miss by Ford not putting in cooled seats. Although I’ve been told the seats are not actually cooled but just circulate cabin air. I’ve never looked at the seats to confirm. I would swear my F350 IS actually cooled, but I may be wrong. I don’t really care enough to look. They work and they work GREAT!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

A lot of cars have heated rear seats. My wife’s current RAV4 Prime does and her previous Chrysler Pacifica did. A significant number of people buying this car are not retired and do have kids. No point in arguing over which feature would be better since we all have neither and one wouldn’t preclude the other. My wife’s car has both.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I would happily trade heated seats and steering wheel for cooled seats.
Spoken like a true Arizonan. 🙂 I will never own a car without heated seats and steering wheel. Let’s just have both so all seasons are covered.
Sponsored