TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone gotten a new windshield yet? I was merging onto the interstate today and before I could get around a gravel truck, WHAP! Big crack halfway across the windshield already.

First quote I got was $1025 online from Safelite. Ouch. Includes $375 for "recalibration". I assume that's the various sensors behind the mirror mount?

20210727_164143.jpg
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Has anyone gotten a new windshield yet? I was merging onto the interstate today and before I could get around a gravel truck, WHAP! Big crack halfway across the windshield already.

First quote I got was $1025 online from Safelite. Ouch. Includes $375 for "recalibration". I assume that's the various sensors behind the mirror mount?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cost for new windshield 1627517580417
Strongly do not recommend Safeliite.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
If you have the gravel truck liences plate you can try to go after them to cover the cost.
Those signs that say Not responsable for XYZ are complete and utter BS. It is their job to secure their load. They failed to do so and did damage.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Dealer invoice for mine was $1600.
Yes, the cameras have to be recalibrated.
No they don’t need any kind of manual calibration. Not in Fords. They auto calibrate while driving. Adaptive cruise radar and lane keeping camera. The infrared sensor for the wipers doesn’t need any kind of calibration. You only need a “calibration” if the camera is replaced.

Don‘t ever pay for the BS calibration. It isn’t required.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
No they don’t need any kind of manual calibration. Not in Fords. They auto calibrate while driving. Adaptive cruise radar and lane keeping camera. The infrared sensor for the wipers doesn’t need any kind of calibration. You only need a “calibration” if the camera is replaced.

Don‘t ever pay for the BS calibration. It isn’t required.
Interesting.
It was the dealer that said it needed calibrating. Now I will check the WSM and see what it says.

I know the Jeeps don't require recalibration so it makes sense this car might not need it either. Hmmmm...

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you have the gravel truck liences plate you can try to go after them to cover the cost.
Those signs that say Not responsable for XYZ are complete and utter BS. It is their job to secure their load. They failed to do so and did damage.
Thanks, but unfortunately we don't. We didn't even see damage right away because it hit near the edge, in the black area of the A-pillar. But then we saw the crack. Was only about an inch, but after parking in the sun a few hours it grew halfway across the glass.

20210727_162924.jpg

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Strongly do not recommend Safeliite.
Why not?

Genuine question. They’re pretty much everywhere, even here, so it’s a natural first stop for many. Obviously you disagree.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yikes.... Another prime example of what a $130 dashcam might save you from.

In my F150 I had a flatbed truck dump this big ABS piece of plastic that hit my truck as I was merging onto the freeway. Tried to get the drivers attention and he just kept on rolling along. I was on the way to a Dr appt for my kid and I had it all on video so I did not care.

Called the company and they were like "oh well we will have to investigate and talk to the driver and see if he was there during the time you are reporting".. Basically blowing me off, then I dropped the bomb on her that I had it all on dashcam. Her tone change instantly, and she told me to get an estimate and send it to her along with the video. Was close to $1,000 in repairs, paid for the dashcam 8 times over. Had I been in a car, it would had been 5 times more expensive as the height of the truck saved the body from being damaged.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Interesting.
It was the dealer that said it needed calibrating. Now I will check the WSM and see what it says.

I know the Jeeps don't require recalibration so it makes sense this car might not need it either. Hmmmm...
The recalibration thing is such a scam. I've had dealers tell me it is required too. My favorite thing to do is prove them wrong with their own tools (WSM). I actually read through it before replying to you because I wanted to make sure the mach e wasn't different for some reason. I know the older vehicles the IPMA was the windshield camera but the new F150 and Mach-E have the whole separate computer and the windshield camera is just a camera now.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The recalibration thing is such a scam. I've had dealers tell me it is required too. My favorite thing to do is prove them wrong with their own tools (WSM). I actually read through it before replying to you because I wanted to make sure the mach e wasn't different for some reason. I know the older vehicles the IPMA was the windshield camera but the new F150 and Mach-E have the whole separate computer and the windshield camera is just a camera now.
Very valuable information, thank you!

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting.

If you find it confirmed in the documentation that it doesn't need recalibration, could you post that doc/link? If that's true I can have the glass place leave it out and save the money.

TIA!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I’m still waiting for Safelite to get a windshield to replace mine. I’m at 5 weeks now. But, I am extremely grateful that I have glass coverage on my insurance. I only have a $50 deductible to pay.
Sponsored