Cost of Charger Installation by Electrician

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I got a quote from an electrician about the work that needs to be done to get my charger installed (once I figure out which one I am getting!). I don’t know much about electrical work and am wondering if people could comment on whether the price sounds reasonable.

The electrician said I have a 200amp main panel (or service to the house, not sure on terminology here), but that the existing subpanel could not take an electric car charger on it. He said therefore he should install a 50amp subpanel and pull the line about five feet to where I want it outside of my garage and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The house’s main panel (am I using the right terminology here, the round meter outside the house where the electrical service comes in) and the main breaker box are both very close to the corner of the garage where I want my outdoor charger, so he only has like five feet of new wiring to run.

He said he would do all this for $500 parts and labor, exclusive of the EVSE that I buy and want him to install. I am in the Los Angeles area where our prices for this kind of thing tend to be higher. Is his price reasonable, very good, too high?

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere in detail, if so my apologies, I’ve really only seen the group of threads on charger types or how to install the EVSE yourself. But I think a standalone thread for this could be valuable because I’d guess a new subpanel installation going to a new NEMA 14-50 outlet is probably among the more common types of electrical work people will need to get their EVSE installed.

EDIT: I know some of the beefier chargers, like Ford’s, would need a 60 amp panel as they draw up to 48amps. I am looking at the slower 32amp L2 chargers based on my needs. The electrician said if I want a 60amp subpanel vs a 50amp subpanel, there will be a material increase in price as he said the panel and wiring would have to be different.
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
His price seems reasonable.

I paid $825 for a ~45 foot run of 6-3 NM-B (Romex) from my existing sub-panel on one side of the garage, up into the attic and over to a new receptacle on the other side of the two car garage.

He supplied the wire, a clamp fitting, circuit breaker, plastic 2-gang box, and most of the labor.

I supplied the 14-50 receptacle and faceplate and all the drywall repairs.

According to the electrician, this circuit will safely support 60A when I remove the 14-50 outlet and use a 60A breaker.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I got a quote from an electrician about the work that needs to be done to get my charger installed (once I figure out which one I am getting!). I don’t know much about electrical work and am wondering if people could comment on whether the price sounds reasonable.

The electrician said I have a 200amp main panel (or service to the house, not sure on terminology here), but that the existing subpanel could not take an electric car charger on it. He said therefore he should install a 50amp subpanel and pull the line about five feet to where I want it outside of my garage and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The house’s main panel (am I using the right terminology here, the round meter outside the house where the electrical service comes in) and the main breaker box are both very close to the corner of the garage where I want my outdoor charger, so he only has like five feet of new wiring to run.

He said he would do all this for $500 parts and labor, exclusive of the EVSE that I buy and want him to install. I am in the Los Angeles area where our prices for this kind of thing tend to be higher. Is his price reasonable, very good, too high?

Not sure if this has been discussed anywhere in detail, if so my apologies, I’ve really only seen the group of threads on charger types or how to install the EVSE yourself. But I think a standalone thread for this could be valuable because I’d guess a new subpanel installation going to a new NEMA 14-50 outlet is probably among the more common types of electrical work people will need to get their EVSE installed.

EDIT: I know some of the beefier chargers, like Ford’s, would need a 60 amp panel as they draw up to 48amps. I am looking at the slower 32amp L2 chargers based on my needs. The electrician said if I want a 60amp subpanel vs a 50amp subpanel, there will be a material increase in price as he said the panel and wiring would have to be different.
Since the wire run is 5 ft, 80% of the cost must be labor. It would make sense to install a 60amp panel. Labor is the same.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Since the wire run is 5 ft, 80% of the cost must be labor. It would make sense to install a 60amp panel. Labor is the same.
Thanks, is that for future proofing in case I ever want the more powerful charger or some other advantage in going for the larger subpanel?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, the price and procedure he’s planning on doing sounds about right

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Thanks, is that for future proofing in case I ever want the more powerful charger or some other advantage in going for the larger subpanel?
You might have two cars charging at once in the future... or your next BEV has an even larger battery, and you want a bigger "electron hose" to fill it up. If you stay with the same panel capacity, and a 300 mile range car takes 10 hours to charge, a 600 mile range car would take 20 hrs. Or you double the charge rate to make it 10 hrs also...

Reactions: ARK

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

Get several quotes. I got 6 and was quoted between $700 and $1,400 for exact same work.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Price seems reasonable to me, if it includes the necessary permits.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The 200A service is great. Just means that the line into the house carries 200A @ 240V. Older houses might only have 120A or less service, which can be a problem as you add appliances that have significant power draws -- AC, stoves, ovens, spas, etc.

Price seems really good. I would have expected closer to $800-$1000 but there are many variables and I'm not an expert.

What people are saying about a larger sub panel is that the cost differential isn't very large and you might need it later which would be more expensive. More cost in the labor to run the wire than in the wire or other hardware.

My only question is the outlet. Generally chargers that plug in aren't rated for outside use. Obviously you live in a fairly temperate climate, last week notwithstanding, but you should look at whether you should hardwire the EVSE or have the outlet be inside the garage.

silvercurves-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
I got quoted $700 in Chicago to add 14-50. I have 200amp panel and looks like they will use tandem breakers to free up 2 slots. It's only like 15 ft run from basement panel to garage. I am definitely planning to get additional quotes. Their quote excludes any drywall repair.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The 200A service is great. Just means that the line into the house carries 200A @ 240V. Older houses might only have 120A or less service, which can be a problem as you add appliances that have significant power draws -- AC, stoves, ovens, spas, etc.

Price seems really good. I would have expected closer to $800-$1000 but there are many variables and I'm not an expert.

What people are saying about a larger sub panel is that the cost differential isn't very large and you might need it later which would be more expensive. More cost in the labor to run the wire than in the wire or other hardware.

My only question is the outlet. Generally chargers that plug in aren't rated for outside use. Obviously you live in a fairly temperate climate, last week notwithstanding, but you should look at whether you should hardwire the EVSE or have the outlet be inside the garage.
Thanks. I use my garage for storage so I have to park in my driveway which is why I was looking to get it installed on the outside wall of my garage. I was thinking of getting it hardwired but figured if the EVSE ever broke or I wanted a newer model, I could handle it without an electrician if it is not hardwired.

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I got quoted $700 in Chicago to add 14-50. I have 200amp panel and looks like they will use tandem breakers to free up 2 slots. It's only like 15 ft run from basement panel to garage. I am definitely planning to get additional quotes. Their quote excludes any drywall repair.
Same here about the drywall repair, my electrician said I need my own guy for that.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think a permit for a new outlet is something of a unicorn in SoCal.
I agree if it was just an outlet. Adding a 60 amp sub-panel may be a different story.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Thanks. I use my garage for storage so I have to park in my driveway which is why I was looking to get it installed on the outside wall of my garage. I was thinking of getting it hardwired but figured if the EVSE ever broke or I wanted a newer model, I could handle it without an electrician if it is not hardwired.
I assumed this was the case -- most garages in SoCal are storage areas. I also prefer EVSE that plug in but they're likely not going to be rated for outside use for a reason. it's not a big deal to replace one hardwired EVSE with another.

If you really want a plug the EVSE cord should fit under the garage door without any issue. I've run the cord under the garage a couple of times when friends needed a charge and for several months during a remodel and it worked fine.

I'd put the EVSE outside and hardwire it, per spec. Most units come in both plug-in and hardwired versions. One downside is that I doubt the electrician was going to pull a permit for the outlet but he might for a hardwired EVSE. I think LA has a streamlined process for this but not totally sure.
Sponsored