Cost of Charger Installation by Electrician

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is correct. I just had an electrician here to get an estimate on putting in a plug or hardwiring a charger. He said that a plug MUST have a GFCI, but that a hardwired EVSE did not as it would cause what he called "false trips" of the electrical box's GFCI since they already have one as part of the unit. He told me this is a common issue where GFCI is required on hardwired installations.

He also said that national guidelines are coming in June to require GFCI no matter whether it's a plug or hardwired. I can only take his word for this but have no reason to doubt it. He predicted the volume of complaints will lead to a reversal of this new rule, so I'm having my hardwired charger installed in May!
My electrician told me the exact same thing. He said he could install a GFCI if that's what I wanted, but that I would be getting false trips of the breaker. I took my electricians advice and had my charger hardwired. It's code for my area that outlets have GFCI breakers, but the hardwired connections do not need one.

Almost half of the electricians that I asked for quotes did not want to deal with the false trips of the GFCI breaker with EV chargers.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This is correct. I just had an electrician here to get an estimate on putting in a plug or hardwiring a charger. He said that a plug MUST have a GFCI, but that a hardwired EVSE did not as it would cause what he called "false trips" of the electrical box's GFCI since they already have one as part of the unit. He told me this is a common issue where GFCI is required on hardwired installations.

He also said that national guidelines are coming in June to require GFCI no matter whether it's a plug or hardwired. I can only take his word for this but have no reason to doubt it. He predicted the volume of complaints will lead to a reversal of this new rule, so I'm having my hardwired charger installed in May!
He’s close.
1) All EVSEs have built-in GFCI, not just hard-wired ones. It’s a UL requirement.
2) A device with a built in GFCI won’t trip a GFCI upstream just because it has its own GFCI. Every hair dryer sold today has a GFCI in the plug and you can use it on a GFCI-protected bathroom circuit just fine. Same goes for a plug in EVSE. It’s really amazing how many competent electricians believe this is a problem.
3) The 2023 NEC requires all outdoor outlets 50A (hardwired or otherwise) or less to be GFCI protected. A 60A or greater hardwired EVSE would not require GFCI. There are no plans to change this in the 2026 code that I’m aware of.
4) There is nothing coming in June nationally. Perhaps your state is adopting the 2023 code starting in June. The NEC is updated every 3 years, but it up to states and municipalities as to when they adopt a new version. I’m still on the 2008 code here.

Bartruffian

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-e CR1
Country flag
Thank you everyone. This was helpful and hopefully it helps others. I'm going to go with the electrician that will put in the 6/2 stranded Romex cu-nm b w/g, 60 amp double pole QP non GFCI Siemens breaker, 2 single pole tandem non ctl circuit breaker and hardwire the home wall charger

with an Emporia level 2 48a home charger I got on Amazon.

Electrician cost $560 + charger cost of $399 = $1k with tax all in.

and keep the ford mobile charger in the frunk for as-needed use when away.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Thank you everyone. This was helpful and hopefully it helps others. I'm going to go with the electrician that will put in the 6/2 stranded Romex cu-nm b w/g, 60 amp double pole QP non GFCI Siemens breaker, 2 single pole tandem non ctl circuit breaker and hardwire the home wall charger

with an Emporia level 2 48a home charger I got on Amazon.

Electrician cost $560 + charger cost of $399 = $1k with tax all in.

and keep the ford mobile charger in the frunk for as-needed use when away.
My installation is $1575, largely because my box is in the basement on the opposite side of the house from my attached garage, and it needs to run up the plumbing stack and through the attic space to get there. That doesn't count the charger! If only I knew this when we bought the house 18 years ago!

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
He’s close.
1) All EVSEs have built-in GFCI, not just hard-wired ones. It’s a UL requirement.
2) A device with a built in GFCI won’t trip a GFCI upstream just because it has its own GFCI. Every hair dryer sold today has a GFCI in the plug and you can use it on a GFCI-protected bathroom circuit just fine. Same goes for a plug in EVSE. It’s really amazing how many competent electricians believe this is a problem.
3) The 2023 NEC requires all outdoor outlets 50A (hardwired or otherwise) or less to be GFCI protected. A 60A or greater hardwired EVSE would not require GFCI. There are no plans to change this in the 2026 code that I’m aware of.
4) There is nothing coming in June nationally. Perhaps your state is adopting the 2023 code starting in June. The NEC is updated every 3 years, but it up to states and municipalities as to when they adopt a new version. I’m still on the 2008 code here.
Old electrician's tales, I guess. Thanks for clarifying. I assume you're an electrician or very knowledgeable about it. Sounds like it.

Who are these old electricians and why do they keep telling these tales?

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
Old electrician's tales, I guess. Thanks for clarifying. I assume you're an electrician or very knowledgeable about it. Sounds like it.

There not tales, but past experiences from their locality and inspector allowances. Not all of us read the codebook till they have a conflict.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

I’m an EE with a lot of hands-on. The misconception stems from the early days of GFCIs. They were prone to nuisance tripping so all kind of theories were flying around. For some reason, that one stuck.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
@Fixbear @Maquis
I was joking. I should have put a laughing emoji after that sentence. I was paraphrasing the old joke about old wive's tales: "Who are these old wives and why do they keep telling these tales?"

KansasGas

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-e GTPE, 2020 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD
Country flag
I have a local company (Kansas City Metro area) coming to give a quote on Wednesday afternoon. They had recent positive reviews with pictures on Yelp. Justin called me quickly after I submitted my information via their website.

He said he is partial to the Juice Box hard-wired (I mentioned I was leaning toward hard-wired)
The only quote so far was approximately $700 for a 42 amp level 2 Juice Box. Install extra.

He said he has a Rivian and is a licensed electrician (Evergy rebate requires a license #). Always good to talk with someone who lives in the EV business.

I will update you once I get the quote.
Sponsored