MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Thanks for posting, this seems closest to my unique situation.

I’m looking to purchase a house (built 1946 but extensive renovations). I have no idea if there’s enough amperage (not electrician forgive wrong use of terminology) but my main problem is the off-street parking is roughly 90ft away from the back of the house. I plan to build a garage in that spot so assume that work would need to be completed first but I’m fully expecting many electricians to turn this work down/overcharge. :( Any tips are welcome! I’m only after a NEMA outlet as that would suffice my charging needs
The wires will have to be buried, I think code is 2’ or so. You could possibly save a lot of money by digging that trench yourself if you’re so inclined.

With your future plans for that area, I’d consider running more power out there (like a 100A if your house can handle it) to a sub panel, then just a short run to the NEMA 14-50 box.

Keep in mind that not all 14-50 plugs are designed for frequent plugging/unplugging. You can pay more for a better socket, or just get an extra charger to leave plugged in.
Sponsored

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The wires will have to be buried, I think code is 2’ or so. You could possibly save a lot of money by digging that trench yourself if you’re so inclined.

With your future plans for that area, I’d consider running more power out there (like a 100A if your house can handle it) to a sub panel, then just a short run to the NEMA 14-50 box.

Keep in mind that not all 14-50 plugs are designed for frequent plugging/unplugging. You can pay more for a better socket, or just get an extra charger to leave plugged in.
Definitely inclined to dig myself but will need to align with electrician on where it’s needed first. Don’t want to go digging in wrong spot!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Definitely inclined to dig myself but will need to align with electrician on where it’s needed first. Don’t want to go digging in wrong spot!
Don't forget to call JULIE to get existing buried utilities located.

The required depth of your trench will depend on the wiring method chosen by your electrician. Rigid metal conduit does not have to be as deep as PVC or cable.

Last edited:

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Just installed the simple level two 240 volt outlet in my garage. It feeds from 50 amps coming from the electric panel. I can now pump 30 amps into the MME from the outlet using the connector cable which comes with the MME. So I will be able to charge at about 20 miles for each hour. Simple and cheep. Now if my MME can only get here.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cost of Charger Installation by Electrician Home Charging set u

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Sure wish my service panel was in the garage instead of my finished basement. That looks like it was an easy/fun project. For that short run I might have even fished it through the drywall, but the conduit looks just fine.

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
Check my thinking on this, neighbors: Because my breaker box is in the basement, and I feel like I need to use the guys who installed my solar array, the cost for me to get a 240 NEMA box outlet for use with the Mobile Charger is going to be about $1100. Since it's not a charger–just an outlet–I *assume* it's not eligible for the federal tax credit. IF I get the Ford Connected Charge Station for $800, and get a 30% tax credit for that and also for $1,000 of installation cost (going on the articles I found in the other forum), I'll be getting $540 in tax credit, effectively making the Ford Charging Station only $260 more expensive than just having an outlet installed. Am I right?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Check my thinking on this, neighbors: Because my breaker box is in the basement, and I feel like I need to use the guys who installed my solar array, the cost for me to get a 240 NEMA box outlet for use with the Mobile Charger is going to be about $1100. Since it's not a charger–just an outlet–I *assume* it's not eligible for the federal tax credit. IF I get the Ford Connected Charge Station for $800, and get a 30% tax credit for that and also for $1,000 of installation cost (going on the articles I found in the other forum), I'll be getting $540 in tax credit, effectively making the Ford Charging Station only $260 more expensive than just having an outlet installed. Am I right?
I think you're wrong on 2 counts :) . First, I think merely installing the outlet that gets used only for charging qualifies for the credit. Second, you don't have to lay out $800 for the Ford charger. You can get a smart charger like Ford's for $600-$700, or you can get a "dumb" charger for about $400.

I got ChargePoint charger, but others made a different choice and will be perfectly happy for years.

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you're wrong on 2 counts :) . First, I think merely installing the outlet that gets used only for charging qualifies for the credit. Second, you don't have to lay out $800 for the Ford charger. You can get a smart charger like Ford's for $600-$700, or you can get a "dumb" charger for about $400.

I got ChargePoint charger, but others made a different choice and will be perfectly happy for years.
I am now understanding from several sources that even the installation of a 240 outlet box would qualify for the tax credit, as it is being installed for the purpose of charging an EV. Would the other-brand alternatives to the Ford Connected Charge Station interface with the FordPass App in all the same ways and be controllable in all the same ways?

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am now understanding from several sources that even the installation of a 240 outlet box would qualify for the tax credit, as it is being installed for the purpose of charging an EV. Would the other-brand alternatives to the Ford Connected Charge Station interface with the FordPass App in all the same ways and be controllable in all the same ways?
This page from Ford gives all the functions of the Connected Charge Station. Wondering if 3rd-party stations would provide all the same features & functions & integration. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/a...ries/ford-connected-charge-station-13221001-1

OP
OP
ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Would the other-brand alternatives to the Ford Connected Charge Station interface with the FordPass App in all the same ways and be controllable in all the same ways?
I don't know if they could interface per se, but I asked a similar question a few weeks ago in this thread.

My question there was whether there would be a problem to use the EVSE (the 'wall charger') to control the charging on the vehicle, or to control it through the Mach-E itself. To sum up that thread, the responses were that it doesn't really matter either way (i.e. whether you tell the MME to stop charging even when the EVSE is still 'on' and remains 'on', or whether you do it the opposite way with the EVSE turning 'off' but leaving the car plugged in with an 'off' EVSE).

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I was curious if it was a good idea to have my electrician run another 240V line while doing my first line for NEMA 14 50 plug. I won't have him install that line but just have it ready in case I need two 240V plug in the future. I am not sure if this is a lot more money since they need to run a second metal conduit or is that not necessary?

Thanks
You have some choices here...

I have a dedicated electric meter on my house for Time-of-Use rate charging (I pay less to charge on off-peak). It's a 125 amp meter and service panel ... which means I can run two 60 amp circuits (two 48 amp chargers) at the same time.

But ... most people probably don't have an extra 120 amps left in their service panel. Newer homes usually have 200 amp meters ... but the home typically needs around 100 amps (maybe 125) to handle things like the central air-conditioning, electric oven or range, or an electric clothes dryer.

Clipper Creek makes a couple of interesting options. One is a residential "dual charger" ... one wall-box with TWO plugs for cars. You can plug in both cars at the same time ... on the same circuit. The wall-box will split the power or, if only one car needs a charge, it can have all the power.

The other thing they make is an option they call "Share2". The Share2 system actually is TWO wall-boxes ... but they can be installed on the same circuit. E.g. if you got the 40amp version (for 32amp charging) each wall-box can handle 32amps even though they are both on a single 40 amp circuit.

The two boxes talk to each other (WiFi ... I assume?) to negotiate how much power to offer the cars. If only one charger is in use then it can have all the power. If two cars need a charge then they divide the power (e.g. 16 amps instead of 32) but as soon as one car finishes charging the 2nd car gets to go back to the full 32 amp charging speed.

The advantage of the system is that you don't have to upgrade your meter or service panel if you really only have enough capacity for one charger. Another advantage is that unlike their single wall-box with two plugs -- where it needs to be able to reach both cars charging ports -- the two box system means you can mount the boxes wherever you want.

The disadvantage is ... it's not cheap!

https://store.clippercreek.com/Share2-HCS-40R-Bundle

So far Clipper Creek is the only EVSE I've discovered that offers a this. They also offer the dual-chargers (one wall-box with two plugs). There might be others, but I haven't found any yet.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
This page from Ford gives all the functions of the Connected Charge Station. Wondering if 3rd-party stations would provide all the same features & functions & integration. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/a...ries/ford-connected-charge-station-13221001-1
The smart chargers provide the same functionality, except they have their app. You cannot use fordpass app to manage them. Judging by how fordpass app is being received, this may be a win. Obviously, "dumb" charges do nothing except charge your car. For many people that's enough.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The smart chargers provide the same functionality, except they have their app. You cannot use fordpass app to manage them. Judging by how fordpass app is being received, this may be a win. Obviously, "dumb" charges do nothing except charge your car. For many people that's enough.
And the app isn't even necessary. One can just set the desired charging schedule in the car, plug in to any "dumb" charger model, and it'll charge according to the car schedule. Without even touching the app.

That's likely what I'll do with my "dumb" $399 40A Grizzl-E. I'll just set the car screen to charge nightly between 1am-8am or so. Then just plug in whenever I return home from driving.

Keithl

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I was quoted $1000 by my electrician. I have a 150 amp panel and was nervous, but code here to bring my service up would require me spending a few grand on other items to bring everything else up to code. The good news is the electrician said don’t worry unless I was going to have both AC units on, my stove on full blast then was to charge the car and even then I would probably squeak by. Since these cars allow you to schedule the charge best to set it overnight when people are sleeping and power usage is minimal. Makes sense enough that my power company gives you free power (forget how many kw/hr) every night from midnight to like 5am if you own an EV. I did most of my own electrical work and the parts to run an NEMA 14-50 the 5 feet mine needs to go is around $100-$150. So when I finalize my EV decision I will install it myself and repurpose the old panel position my dryer circuit is on since I moved to a gas dryer 25 years ago.

Last edited:

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
that $500 is reasonable for sure

i paid $3500 here in la canada (town just outside la) for permitted work.

- heavy gauge conduit run under the entire length of the house/property (aaplrox 200ft) since our main panel is opposite end of the detached garage.
- trenching under walkway between house and garage,
- a sub-panel in the garage,
- two 14-50 outlets. one inside (60amp) and outside (50amp) for future proof and when friends visit
- routing conduit up through garage attic
- installing my grizzly-e.
- permit fees
- 2 guys 2 full days of labor
thanks, for sharing this.

I was quoted $5000 to 240V out to my detached garage. $2500 was for the trenching out to the garage, which is only ~20 ft from my house.
Sponsored