Crashed my Mach-E due to mixing up pedals and broken Auto Hold

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Yeah, I didn't want to bring that up, but...

My cars have never been to an automated car wash. I've used the spray wands in the self-service bays, but I've been driving for 40+ years and NEVER has a rotary brush loaded with grit, or cloth strips loaded with grit, touched my vehicles. And that includes minivans...

My current dealer likes to wash the cars for most services. I make them write not to on the paperwork. I even asked the body shop to not wash it, but they insisted on hosing it off due to all the body shop dust. I washed it when I got home...

So, if you didn't take your car to a car wash, then this never would have happened. ;)
It's buttass cold in VA today. (Quiet, Minnesotans, it's not always about you! ;) ) but Shadowfax was utterly filthy. But I still won't go to a car wash. I got a bucket from inside the house and made five trips to wash the car by hand and rinse it off. Only a little bit of it froze.

That way I'll never wreck my car in the car wash lane.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I love all the sensors and technology, but miss the time when bumpers were to protect the car and, you know, bump into other cars :rolleyes:

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I love all the sensors and technology, but miss the time when bumpers were to protect the car and, you know, bump into other cars :rolleyes:

how old is you?!

I don't think "bumpers" have protected cars from small collisions during my entire driving life. BUT THEY LOOK SO GOOD NOW!!!!!!11111!!!!

JamesStew71

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
So today i had my first and only crash in 17 years.
And it was a very stupid one.
Some of you read my previous post about my doughnuts on wet grass and loads of sensors and functionality playing up after this...
So... one of the functionality was the HOLD feature not working.
So today i went to a drive through car wash, queued up, released all pedals once stationary and got busy with radio and something else, raised my head just to realise that i am slowly moving towards the car in front of me. I automatically slammed the pedal to stop, unfortunately i slammed the accelerator by mistake and smashed in the pickup standing in front of me. I am still struggling to believe it happened. Now reading about mixed up pedals, its more common then i thought it would be. Kicking myself big time. It's 100% my fault but it would not have happened if the Hold feature would not have broken last week. The car was supposed to go in for warranty work on Monday, now it's gone in for insurance work first?‍♂ i feel a bit shaken and stiff neck but i am glad there was a car in front of me, not a person. Lesson learned- if parked up- do not rely on Hold feature, put it in P.
My previous car also had Hold so i have gotten very used to it in last couple years that not having it stung me real bad. And how on earth i got the pedals wrong i dont know. Back to tarnsit van for few weeks till they sort the damage?‍♂?‍♂?

20220122_094303.jpg

20220122_094249.jpg

20220122_094307.jpg

20220122_122740.jpg

20220122_094258.jpg
may be a good time for a bus pass to a driver education course

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
how old is you?!

I don't think "bumpers" have protected cars from small collisions during my entire driving life. BUT THEY LOOK SO GOOD NOW!!!!!!11111!!!!
If 60 is new 30, I'm 32 ;)

I definitely remember how Consumer Reports tested the damage to the bumpers after a 5 mph hit to a wall...

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
There is a setting in the menu to enable autohold when it comes to a stop without fully pressing the break.
I have not found that. I do not use 1pd and must press the brake for auto hold to engage.

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
That is just awful. But at least you have a tow hook, unlike us US folks.

Gixxer750

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW Golf R; 2021 ER AWD Rapid Red
Occupation
Innovation Guru
Country flag
I have a Datsun 280Z hood in my basement, waiting for my retirement mancave
I can't think of a better hood to move around. It would match nicely with my 84 300zx emblem I kept after writing it off in my high school days. Good times...

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
So today i had my first and only crash in 17 years.
And it was a very stupid one.
Some of you read my previous post about my doughnuts on wet grass and loads of sensors and functionality playing up after this...
So... one of the functionality was the HOLD feature not working.
So today i went to a drive through car wash, queued up, released all pedals once stationary and got busy with radio and something else, raised my head just to realise that i am slowly moving towards the car in front of me. I automatically slammed the pedal to stop, unfortunately i slammed the accelerator by mistake and smashed in the pickup standing in front of me. I am still struggling to believe it happened. Now reading about mixed up pedals, its more common then i thought it would be. Kicking myself big time. It's 100% my fault but it would not have happened if the Hold feature would not have broken last week. The car was supposed to go in for warranty work on Monday, now it's gone in for insurance work first?‍♂ i feel a bit shaken and stiff neck but i am glad there was a car in front of me, not a person. Lesson learned- if parked up- do not rely on Hold feature, put it in P.
My previous car also had Hold so i have gotten very used to it in last couple years that not having it stung me real bad. And how on earth i got the pedals wrong i dont know. Back to tarnsit van for few weeks till they sort the damage?‍♂?‍♂?

20220122_094303.jpg

20220122_094249.jpg

20220122_094307.jpg

20220122_122740.jpg

20220122_094258.jpg
From your post it sounds like you crashed because you floored the gas pedal when hitting the brake would have resulted in you not hitting the vehicle in front of you and not because of auto hold being broken. Unfortunate that auto hold was acting up, but as with every other technology you are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle and you floored the gas pedal and drove into the vehicle in front of you due to being distracted. Tough lesson to learn, but I can see it being one that a lot of people could make due to the way our Mustangs drive. Between 1 pedal, hold, and the other various "assists" that allow us to pay less attention to driving it gets easy to lose concentration.

I browsed most of this thread, and despite what was posted before, thank you for sharing your experience. I don't find it embarrassing or anything to be ashamed of. You made a mistake and are trying to bring attention to it so others don't follow suit, so thank you for that. This is nothing more than a learning experience and hopefully at least one person learns from this thread instead of making the same mistake themselves.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I browsed most of this thread, and despite what was posted before, thank you for sharing your experience. I don't find it embarrassing or anything to be ashamed of. You made a mistake and are trying to bring attention to it so others don't follow suit, so thank you for that. This is nothing more than a learning experience and hopefully at least one person learns from this thread instead of making the same mistake themselves.
I agree. This is a tough crowd and I’m not sure I really understand why some people are giving you such a hard time. I think it’s hard to drive for decades and not inadvertently do something dumb in a car. Stuff happens. And compared to cars from the 70s-90s cars now have more features that can lead to distractions (not to mention our cell phones). The result is that our brains are asked to process so many things at once and sometimes wires get crossed. Glad you are ok and that no one got hurt. Hang in there.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Jep, you are a jerk. What has doughnuts got to do with what happened. Not like i was doing some tricks and ended up in the fence. I wish nothing similar e er happen to anyone and got nothing to do with couple doughnuts on wasteland. Little fun does not make me a bad driver nor a dangerous driver especially if done on private land away from people. So your comment was expected but completely unreasonable. I have held a clean licence for 17 years with no incidents or accidents as i keep my "fun" to minimum and off the roads.. sorry, but you are wrong.
I know, I know. But here’s the thing- you recently took your MME to a field and had someone video you acting like a generic Ken Block, which, in turn, screwed up numerous systems in said MME.
Then, knowing these systems were screwed up, and, after posting in the forums about it, you still drove your car. To a car wash. And pushed the throttle pedal. Instead of the brake pedal. It’s all just so perfect. And ridiculous.

I once posted on the inter webs about making a “money shift” in my then new ‘98 Z-28, 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th. Even back in ‘98 the dealer where I took it was on LS1.com and saw my post. So, no warranty coverage for me. Therefore, I footed the bill for the bent valves and pushrods and other parts/labor involved to the tune of $2000. I was in my early 20s.

You may be footing the bill for what would have been warranty work soon too. Not the wreck, the other broken stuff.

I wish you good luck though.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
SUCKS, getting old. The right hand starts doing what the left hand is supposed to do.
Sponsored