Creating unnecessary issues - updates that remove charging locations - and no instructions from Ford or dealers...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This really is ridiculous. There are OTA updates, or dealer updates, which erase charging locations. Nothing notifies the vehicle owner of this, and none of the dealer procedures, to my knowledge, advise the dealer to inform the customers of the need to re-establish charging locations (with a pre-printed list of instructions).

This creates the unnecessary use of resources as follows:

- calls to dealers bitching
- visits to dealers
- calls to Ford
- posts on social media
- spending of peak electricity dollars
- charging battery to 100% because of this issue.

Come on @Ford Motor Company, this is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot, where you know ahead of time a hole is going to appear and it's going to hurt.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Interestingly, I never lost charging locations through all the FDRS updates I did myself.

But, this most recent OTA did blank them out. It put me in an awkward state where I already wasn't going to be driving for a week, but the car took itself up to 100% right before that.

Not sure the best way to get the word out, since there is no way to read OTA release notes before each one is applied to your vehicle.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
This really is ridiculous. There are OTA updates, or dealer updates, which erase charging locations. Nothing notifies the vehicle owner of this, and none of the dealer procedures, to my knowledge, advise the dealer to inform the customers of the need to re-establish charging locations (with a pre-printed list of instructions).

- visits to dealers
- calls to Ford
- posts on social media

Come on @Ford Motor Company, this is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot, where you know ahead of time a hole is going to appear and it's going to hurt.
Perhaps this is to help you avoid the DCFC frying the contractors. Somewhere, some accountant made this decision within Ford. Sigh...

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps this is to help you avoid the DCFC frying the contractors. Somewhere, some accountant made this decision within Ford. Sigh...
No, the wiping out of charging locations would have nothing to do with the contactor recall.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interestingly, I never lost charging locations through all the FDRS updates I did myself.

But, this most recent OTA did blank them out. It put me in an awkward state where I already wasn't going to be driving for a week, but the car took itself up to 100% right before that.

Not sure the best way to get the word out, since there is no way to read OTA release notes before each one is applied to your vehicle.
But the release notes could say in big letters, at the top, the need to re-establish the locations and limits. Not a word.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
No, the wiping out of charging locations would have nothing to do with the contactor recall.
It is 100% related to the recall updates... not sure why you're saying otherwise. Also, Ford has confirmed that these updates also contain a fix so future updates should not cause a settings wipe.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The only time I lost mine was when the dealer service guy performed a master reset after the update. Not sure why he thought it was necessary to do that, but I basically lost everything - car settings, Sirius presets, and locations.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It is 100% related to the recall updates... not sure why you're saying otherwise. Also, Ford has confirmed that these updates also contain a fix so future updates should not cause a settings wipe.
Surely not as the previous person suggested? That wiping out our DCFC locations would somehow help with recall-related problems?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Surely not as the previous person suggested? That wiping out our DCFC locations would somehow help with recall-related problems?
Maybe I misunderstood, where @RickMachE was saying it isn't an intended consequence to help out with the contactor recall, but it is a bug FROM the contactor recall software update. Apologies!

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Maybe I misunderstood, where @RickMachE was saying it isn't an intended consequence to help out with the contactor recall, but it is a bug FROM the contactor recall software update. Apologies!
Ahhh, got it. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

:) in my experience reading the release notes after an update isn't of much value either.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

- visits to dealers
- calls to Ford
- posts on social media

Rick, this is rumored to be fixed with this round of updates so it won't happen again supposedly. The SOBDM (charger) gets updated during the process and that wipes out the charging locations.

You should expect software updates to wipe out settings, that's not usually deemed something of critical importance to inform the customer about, although it's nice to do so. I had to redo mine after the recall updates too, but I was expecting that since I knew what I was updating.

I think most people would realize the updates probably reset their settings and fix it themselves rather than going on a rant to the dealer or social media.
Sponsored