Critiques six weeks and 2100 miles in...

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
At this point, I've gotten comfortable with the Mach-E user experience and have some more detailed thoughts beyond my first impressions. For reference, I have a Premium 4X.

Other than these things below, the car is pretty nice. The interior is befitting of a $50k car, the tech is pretty good (the flaccid B&O sound system aside), it's quiet, I like refueling at home, the heat-filtering glass seems to work well, and it's turning out to be a pretty good daily driver.

There is an awful lot of "it's almost done" stuff going on. Most of it is software, but some of it is "and/or" mechanical:

- Hands-free hatch: This almost never works. It will definitely be a warranty complaint. Locked, unlocked, recently unlocked, with phone, without phone, with fob, without fob ... no matter what I try, it just doesn't work. I don't even try anymore. OTA update did not improve it. Also, a lot of the time it doesn't play the "closing chime" when you close it. Sometimes the hatch (open or close) doesn't respond to the button and you have to push it a second time.

- Cabin pre-condition: Stopped working a couple weeks ago. I could probably get it to work again by changing / redoing all my settings, but I've been too lazy to try this. Both the app and the car show my preferences, the car is always plugged in at the appropriate time, just doesn't do anything anymore.

- CarPlay: Works maybe 75% of the time. When it doesn't work, it won't work until the car is off and I walk out of BT range, then come back.

- Door opening buttons: At night, these are never lit when I approach the car. If PaaK and hands-free is supposed to be a thing, these should light up when I approach the car like the rest of the lights. They are damned near invisible at night or in a dark garage. Also have developed some concerns about how to open a door when they inevitably decide to not work... there's no alternate method that I'm aware of other than breaking a window. Also, have managed to get the latch release and door holder to get into a confused state a few times if you're pushing on the door at all when it tries to open. Had to jiggle the door to get the "holder" to retract so I could close the door, then trigger the unlatch again (it wouldn't do it a second time when the door was cracked open).

- When I get in after my wife has been driving, it doesn't get the seat and mirrors into the proper position. Because PaaK is sometimes unreliable, we always carry the fob. Since the fob is associated with me, she pushes the "2" preset for her, then I get in (with my phone), and it thinks I want it left at "2", not changed to the "1" presets. This should follow the phone, not the fob (since there's only one).

- Can't really comment on PaaK much - we don't trust it and so always have the fob. It is annoying when the car honks at you if you have the fob in your pocket and walk "away" such as to check the mailbox or get something out of the frunk, but I can see this being helpful when you actually do leave it turned on and wander off.

- The privacy cover in the rear area causes all sorts of problems if you don't remove it before closing the hatch when anything is going to bump into it. We just don't use this anymore and it stays folded up below the floor.

- "Not a Mustang": I've been a sports car enthusiast and/or owner for my entire life and have done a lot of track driving over the years. I've never driven a regular Mustang, but I can't imagine the Mach-E is what they are supposed to feel like. The steering, suspension, and handling is just not there. I just call the car a Mach-E because I don't want people to think I think it's a Mustang. The car is not planted on turn-in, even when decelerating - just today this surprised me because of a very slight bump at the turn-in point and it just had massive understeer for a fraction of a second. It goes from "stuck" to "squealing" (pre-drifting) when you add power in a corner very quickly - this is probably the unimpressive tires more than anything, but could also be bad suspension geometry masked by the low center of gravity. I have noticed that the suspension geometry being what it is, there's a delay in grippiness after initial turn in as the car settles into the corner, but this is pretty common with "not a sports car" suspensions. Mine doesn't bounce, but it does feel like the dampers (shocks / struts) are a bit overpowered by the springs. This would be an easy fix (springs are fine, put in stiffer dampers with quicker rebound). Brakes are ok, but as everyone knows very touchy at initial application. There's just no way I even want to take this to a track, no matter how many ponies are stuck to it.

- The adaptive cruise control really wants to wait until the last minute to slow down or stop for traffic. I've let it go well past where I would normally change from "cruise" to "ready to stop" and it just drives like a maniac. Hopefully this changes with the "not Autopilot" upgrade later this year, but for now it's just a little too aggressive coming up to slower traffic (<50% my speed).

- The lane hold is easily confused by skid marks, grind marks (like where they grind off old road stripes), and shadows. Collision alert / avoidance is also wonky. It thought I was about to hit something (car? human? who knows, but I suspect it was a tree shadow) when I was just cruising along this morning. It didn't brake, but it beeped at me angrily. This has happened to my wife and I many times and it's pretty annoying. Again, hopefully this is fixed later this year. It's also refused to back over a shadow once when pulling out my garage - it slammed on the brakes and warned me of a collision problem, then let me go a second or two later.

- One-pedal mode sometimes doesn't one-pedal. This is a bit surprising when you expect to start slowing down and it just goes into coast mode. I had to quickly put my foot on the brake a few times because of this. It might have been because I had accidentally hit the cruise control button with the palm of my hand while driving, but I'm not sure. This has happened a few times and will definitely mess with your head when you don't realize you've put it into cruise control mode on accident. Might need a chime or something since it doesn't take a second button press to engage the mode (most cars have one for enabling and one for setting).

- You can't adjust the desired speed for cruise control while it's still trying to get to the previously set speed. This causes problems when you re-enable the mode in a slower speed zone. I have to turn it off, then back on otherwise it just ignores my attempts to stay reasonable (like going from a 50 to a 35).

- The wind noise from the glass roof lip. Yeah, that's a fail - both the lip and the noise. I wish this was a warranty thing, but I fear it's just a bad design.
Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Valid, well thought out concerns. What surprises me with this vehicle is the vast spectrum of user experiences with essentially the same system (or is it?). For example, we have not had any issues with the Paak, or hands free hatch. Why? Are we using it different? Is the software between our vehicles different? You would think the issues would be more consistent, and I'm sure it makes it difficult for Ford to diagnose, but obviously there is some difference there.

I completely agree with you on the "not a Mustang", but that's not my call. I heard an interesting explanation, and it's helped me make a little more sense of Ford's decision on this. They didn't decide to call it a Mustang because buyers will have a traditional Mustang experience, they called it a Mustang so that engineers/dealers/marketing/others all treat this vehicle with the respect that working on a Mustang brings. If they called it a Fairlane, Ford could throw in the towel if things got tough. By calling it a Mustang, they have to put in the effort the Mustang name deserves.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Can't comment on most of this, it does seem reasonable, as I don't have one but I'll repeat a point I've made before: Mustang's are not what everyone thinks they are. There's really nothing special about the typical Mustang, even today's typical Mustang.

I suspect, and have only done a brief test drive, that the Mach E is better than the typical Mustang which is far more likely a ecoboost than a GT500.

OP
OP

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They didn't decide to call it a Mustang because buyers will have a traditional Mustang experience, they called it a Mustang so that engineers/dealers/marketing/others all treat this vehicle with the respect that working on a Mustang brings. If they called it a Fairlane, Ford could throw in the towel if things got tough. By calling it a Mustang, they have to put in the effort the Mustang name deserves.
I've heard this before as well and it does make sense. Having that emotional connection to the product will make people put in extra effort. At the end of the day though, it still has a pony all over it and it's not even as much of a Mustang as the Panamera is a Carrera. I am glad they didn't call it a Flex though...

OP
OP

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect, and have only done a brief test drive, that the Mach E is better than the typical Mustang which is far more likely a ecoboost than a GT500.
Yeah, I also assume the low end Mustangs aren't all that great. I've obviously never been a Mustang fanboy, so I can't speak from a place of knowledge. What I'm referring to is what I (and other people perhaps) assume a Mustang is. The Mach-E is not what I assume a Mustang aspires to be at this price point.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Terrific write up. I’ve had my MME almost the same exact amount of time and miles. I’ve got my own long list of issues, posted here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-issues-compilation-list-wiki.3430/post-154508

The interesting thing is that there is very little overlap between my issues and yours. Partly because I’m not trying to do some of the things you’re doing (presets for different drivers, cabin preconditioning). I thankfully don’t have the wind noise issue, I love the feel of the drive (but that’s totally subjective), and I’ve had virtually no problems with the hands free lift gate now that I know you have to make a “kicking motion” as opposed to waving your foot side to side.

But I definitely agree with your overall impression that there is a lot of “half-baked” feel, especially when it comes to the software and tech. Overall I still love my MME, but it can be frustrating that these issues continue to pile up and Ford is so sloooooow and opaque re fixes and updates.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The door open buttons light up.....or are supposed to. Maybe there is a setting in the menu that controls that?

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I've heard this before as well and it does make sense. Having that emotional connection to the product will make people put in extra effort. At the end of the day though, it still has a pony all over it and it's not even as much of a Mustang as the Panamera is a Carrera. I am glad they didn't call it a Flex though...
It's not a Mustang, and that's a big let down for me - as I ordered this car on reveal day because I had a Mustang and desperately wanted an electric one.

Then the car arrives, and it's on 225 eco tires despite being thousands of pounds heavier, doesn't have customizable anything compared to the Mustang, doesn't have MyColor, doesn't grip, doesn't handle, pogo-sticks all over the place.

If they'd have called it an "Escape EV" I'd have not ordered it, and I'd have been happier I think than I am now.

It looks so damn good - but it's so half baked. :(

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
Kinda hard to compare an SUV driving experience to a sporty coupe experience. The Mustang coupe embodies speed, power, performance with a distinct style. The Mach-E draws on elements of the Mustang coupe styling portfolio, but was never supposed to be a direct carbon copy in an EV format. The Mach-E is sporty for its segment (for proof compare it to the vw id4 or the upcoming Audi q4). It draws style cues from the coupe.

Re: issues with the hatch/door etc - apparently there is a dealer fix that is supposed to help with this. Try taking it to the dealer and tell them in detail the issues you're facing with the door and hatch. There is supposed to be some bulletin out from Ford corporate that lists what steps the dealer can take to fix it.

For the cruise control stopping distance before traffic- I was playing around in the car settings and remember seeing there's an option to change the auto stopping distance. I think this was more for the auto collision avoidance. When you change the setting it will make the blue "box" on the dashboard bigger or smaller. Maybe try searching and changing this setting to the maximum distance? That way the car knows to start slowing down from a longer distance.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My experiences are very different than yours, which is both interesting and unfortunate.

As for the "not a mustang" - it is the fourth Ford with a pony badge I've owned, and I enjoy driving it as much as the others (although I do miss the convertible). It is peppy and fun to drive, so it's good enough for me not to complain about the decision.

NancyF

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Energi Titanium
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
My experiences are very different than yours, which is both interesting and unfortunate.

As for the "not a mustang" - it is the fourth Ford with a pony badge I've owned, and I enjoy driving it as much as the others (although I do miss the convertible). It is peppy and fun to drive, so it's good enough for me not to complain about the decision.
I have had my Mach e since February 23, 2021. The last Mustang I fell in love with was a 1964 1/2 Mustang that a friend's parents bought new. I was only eight at the time and when riding in that car, I thought it was sooooo cool! By the time I got to the age where I could actually buy a Mustang, their designs were not that exciting (for me and just me).
I wanted my Mach e not because it was a "Mustang" but because I had a Ford Fusion Energi, loved the idea of trying to drive a car that was better for the planet and thought a totally electric car fit the bill. The looks of the March e, to me, were just great and I ordered it the day they were announced.
I must honestly say, since I got it, I have been delighted. I have not had a problem with the lift gate raising or the lights coming on at night when I approach. I do not let my husband drive it (he doesn't let me drive his F-150, King Ranch either)so I have not had the issues with Driver 1 or Driver 2 either as described by jjwolf.
I am sure as Ford continues to build electric cars, both the car itself as well as the software/features, will improve. I knew coming into this that buying the first year of a car being built was a "caveat emptor" situation for me and really, I am overjoyed with the car. I have had no issues that I can see or hear. No noise by the sunroof, no complaint about fit and finish and no gripes at all.

malthusunc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Country flag
I have had mine less than a week, so I am probably not qualified to speak on this like you are. Just wanted to chime in. I am using it as my "work" truck so going to people's houses, "tools" in the back, etc.

The liftgate has probably worked 90%+ of the time I've tried it (again, with the kicking motion). The lights coming on, etc. when I approach is also probably close to 90% of the time. So far, the electronics seem to do what they are supposed to do (maybe one random glitch - so we shut the car off and started again).

As for the driving experience, I think it all depends on your expectations (note I'm not speaking to the OP, just anyone reading this in general). I have a 2017 mustang convertible EcoBoost 6-speed. Any opportunity I got to take it out instead of my truck, I did (like if I was going to a house with no clients). Took it out at least 3 or 4 times a week because it was such a contrast to the slow-footed, top-heavy truck. The poor EcoBoost is covered under a layer of pollen and hasn't been touched since I got my Mach-E. Some of that is excitement from a new car, but most is that I just want to drive this thing!
Sponsored