Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm getting a lot of rattle from cross wind. It only appears when cross wind is above ~10mph and at highway speed. Lower speed I don't hear it and with head/tail winds I don't hear it, just with moderate cross winds. It always appears on the side of the car which the cross wind is hitting.

At first I thought that it was the badging, but it appears to be fastened down really well.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced this?

Video of the sound in this post:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/cross-wind-rattle-anyone-else.10275/post-258547

Here's another example of the sound from @btcook:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/cross-wind-rattle-anyone-else.10275/post-261427
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I'm getting a lot of rattle from cross wind. It only appears when cross wind is above ~10mph and at highway speed. Lower speed I don't hear it and with head/tail winds I don't hear it, just with moderate cross winds. It always appears on the side of the car which the cross wind is hitting.

At first I thought that it was the badging, but it appears to be fastened down really well.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced this?
I don't think rattling is something folks have mentioned? there was a lot of talk early on about wind noise from "misaligned roof panels"... but that's a different thing than what you're describing.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
but that's a different thing than what you're describing.
Yeah this is different. It sounds like it's coming from the badging area or possibly in the dash area. I had 4 other people in the car and all said it sounded like lower side dash.

When you drive with the windows down
This is when windows are up.

The sound is very much like something is lose and flapping but I can't see anything and because it's only with cross winds it has me confused.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Based on a lot of other threads that are recommended to me because I started this thread I see that other people have had similar issues.

1 - Garage door opener - don't have one
2 - Sunglass holder - don't have anything in it
3 - Seatbelts - All were in use so don't think so

4 - Door pockets, I'll try removing stuff

Overall it appears that other people with a similar issue either didn't document their findings or it was "user error". Let's hope I look stupid in the end ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah this is different. It sounds like it's coming from the badging area or possibly in the dash area. I had 4 other people in the car and all said it sounded like lower side dash.

This is when windows are up.

The sound is very much like something is lose and flapping but I can't see anything and because it's only with cross winds it has me confused.
hmm. if it was on the passenger side I'd say to check the glove compartment (seriously) but as I understood your statement, the sound moves based on the wind direction.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Based on a lot of other threads that are recommended to me because I started this thread I see that other people have had similar issues.

1 - Garage door opener - don't have one
2 - Sunglass holder - don't have anything in it
3 - Seatbelts - All were in use so don't think so

4 - Door pockets, I'll try removing stuff

Overall it appears that other people with a similar issue either didn't document their findings or it was "user error". Let's hope I look stupid in the end ?
I was going to suggest checking your door pockets but I thought, "nah, that would be too insulting to suggest that." ? (*)

(*) yes I care, shut up

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I was going to suggest checking your door pockets
Glad to report that I don't look too dumb after all. There's nothing in the door pockets. Here's a video of the sound. When I open the glove box it's even louder ... but of course not coming from the empty glove box.

It's easy to hear it today because I had a 30mph cross wind at the time.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You could have some kind of loose wheel well liner or underbody cover. I've heard this before on other vehicles, I go around and tighten whatever fasteners I can. Sometimes it helps other times it doesn't. Some cars just have too many "flappy" covers that make noise in crosswinds, I'm convinced it's a design flaw on some vehicles because they probably don't test with severe crosswinds.

bdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I've noticed a similar sound in my GT. Except mine happens when I go above 60mph. Haven't been able to track down the cause of the sound yet but it does sound like something "flapping" or is loose and tapping something.

To me, it sounds like its coming from the driver side A-pillar but will require more investigation.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
@bdot yes it's only at freeway speeds for me as well. I have given thought to a lose trim clip as that is kinda what it sounds like.

bdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
@DevSecOps Yeah a loose trim clip is definitely a possibility, but then I'd think it would rattle when going over bumpy roads at lower speeds. At low speeds, I don't hear it, but if I'm on a smooth road going above 60mph I'll start to hear it.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
@bdot Well if you happen to figure it out before I do let me know! I'll do the same.

As a side note - I called the dealership today and asked if they could take a look at it and figure it out. The service rep told me to bring it in at 9:30am and I said great I'll be there. Then she says, great we'll see you at 9:30am for a 1pm appointment. I said uhum, what? She said they will look at your car at 1pm.

I said ma'am... when you get your hair done do you go in to the salon 4 hours early to sit around and wait? She said, "No, but that's what my computer tells me". I told her that she and her computer can cancel my appointment.

Last edited:

Haven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT 7-8-21, Flex
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've noticed a similar sound in my GT. Except mine happens when I go above 60mph. Haven't been able to track down the cause of the sound yet but it does sound like something "flapping" or is loose and tapping something.

To me, it sounds like its coming from the driver side A-pillar but will require more investigation.
I have the same flapping sound on driver side but it only occurred at freeway speed with a good cross wind. It was a flapping sound. I checked the wheel wells and didn’t see anything loose in there.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I have the same flapping sound on driver side but it only occurred at freeway speed with a good cross wind. It was a flapping sound. I checked the wheel wells and didn’t see anything loose in there.
Yeah there's a few of us that are starting to report this issue it appears. I have also checked to ensure everything is tightened down and I can't see anything loose. Also to me, and others, it sounds more like a metal rattle, rather than plastic, or possibly plastic on metal. Most of the liner in the wheel well is that fabric like material or plastic.

Interestingly, I've seen someone report that they had felt on their cabin fuse box door over the metal clips. To me the sound is coming from that area. I plan on installing a hard wire run to my dash cam on Monday so I was going to check that area out since I'm going to have it pulled apart.
Sponsored

Last edited: