Cruise Control and Unintended Acceleration

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Bullshit. I have over 35 years in human interface software experience -- that's not a bug, it is a complete design failure if it did what you said. That is not what the manual says nor is it the proper response to "NO MATTER what you have your cruise set for it will add the buffer to the local speed limit with no notice. "
You appear to not understand.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Bullshit. I have over 35 years in human interface software experience -- that's not a bug, it is a complete design failure if it did what you said. That is not what the manual says nor is it the proper response to "NO MATTER what you have your cruise set for it will add the buffer to the local speed limit with no notice. "
We agree, it’s not a bug.

CurtW

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Country flag
I've used cruise control most of my life, I depend on it to keep my lead foot out of trouble. I love the idea of cruise alerting me about a speed limit reduction that I might not have noticed. Might be okay with an automatic reduction in speed. But I don't want cruise to increase my speed without my intervention. Seems a configuration for that approach would be a good option. For me, anyway.

Sentient vehicles may be the future, but I'm not quite there yet.

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
It is supposed to be a warning device, not an automatic override of your cruise control. This is a major malfunction which was confirmed to me by a Ford software engineer. See the newest screen which is a first attempt at fixing the bug:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Cruise Control and Unintended Acceleration 20230307_114533

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It is supposed to be a warning device, not an automatic override of your cruise control. This is a major malfunction which was confirmed to me by a Ford software engineer. See the newest screen which is a first attempt at fixing the bug:
I'm not sure you're aware that there are TWO distinct settings with different functions. The red one controls speed, and the yellow one warns you about speed. As you can see, you can turn speed warning and speed control on and off independently. They both have a separate tolerance setting.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
They need to disable this by defailt
And not allow it in without a big warning. To me the only place this should have is out in the boonies.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
I agree that the speed sign recognition is working as designed and that the speed warning is a separate setting/function. We've experienced these. However, I I would like it to work the following way:

Rather than automatically increase the cruise speed by the speed sign tolerance, I would like the tolerance to apply to the speed I set the cruise ONLY. That is, if the speed limit sign is 70 mph and my tolerance is set to +5 mph, then when driving up to 75 mph I can set the cruise to 70-75 mph, but not more than that. If the tolerance is set to +10 mph then I can set the cruise at 70-80 mph, but not more than that. This would prevent me from setting the cruise too fast, but would not accelerate automatically.

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I love the concept of the speed sign recognition. I like to drive in cruise control just to make sure I maintain speed limits, and when speeds actually change and I didn't notice, but there are a lot of school zones in my area, just signs that say "20 MPH when flashing", yet every time I hit one, cruise control switches to 20 and I have to quickly turn it off so the car behind me doesn't get irritated. I finally just turned off the sign recognition to save irritation. It's not the feature's fault, not sure what could be done about it, as technically they "are" speed limit signs. 🤣

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Turned mine off, had some bridge construction near me speed reduced in zone. They suspended construction for winter and bagged the signs but that deteriorated so the car sees reduced speed. Drove me nuts but not the cars fault.

Dzrhino

First Name
Reno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Occupation
Wildlife and Cultural Photographer
Country flag
Luckily, I have been contacted by Ford support and they agree that it is a dangerous BUG and needs to be corrected. It is not working as they intended and there already have been some accidents caused by it. If they listened to Mach-Lee, there would be upcoming court cases.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Luckily, I have been contacted by Ford support and they agree that it is a dangerous BUG and needs to be corrected. It is not working as they intended and there already have been some accidents caused by it.
Ummm, no way Ford support said any of that

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I love the concept of the speed sign recognition. I like to drive in cruise control just to make sure I maintain speed limits, and when speeds actually change and I didn't notice, but there are a lot of school zones in my area, just signs that say "20 MPH when flashing", yet every time I hit one, cruise control switches to 20 and I have to quickly turn it off so the car behind me doesn't get irritated. I finally just turned off the sign recognition to save irritation. It's not the feature's fault, not sure what could be done about it, as technically they "are" speed limit signs. 🤣
Yeah, schools are the problem. The car recognizes large "SPEED LIMIT 25" but ignores tiny "when children are present' 😁

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I think what ford is missing is a simple switch between manual and automatic speed selection mode. and very bright indicator that shows what mode your car is in now

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
They need to disable this by defailt
And not allow it in without a big warning. To me the only place this should have is out in the boonies.
They shouldn't allow to set a tolerance to 20 mph without a BIG WARNING

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
All of this reminds me of the time Wozniak accused Toyota of having a bug in the Prius cruise control because it accelerated like he told it to. He eventually admitted that it was his own misunderstanding.
Sponsored