Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
May 12, 2022 - Certain 2021 Model Year Mach-E Vehicles Long Regen Stop Safely Now

PROGRAM TERMS
This program will be in effect from May 12, 2022 through May 12, 2023. There is no mileage limit for this program.

URGENCY / EXPIRATION DATE
This Customer Satisfaction Program has an expiration date of May 12, 2023, to encourage dealers and customers to have this service performed as soon as possible. FSA VIN Lists are expected to be available by May 12, 2022.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
2021 Mach-E built February 24, 2020 through March 19, 2021

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM
In some of the affected vehicles, loss of propulsion during extended downhill drives may occur. This condition only occurs in drive cycles that consist of mostly downhill driving for an extended period of time.

SERVICE ACTION
Before delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this program, dealers are to update the software and replace the park pawl. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

LABOR ALLOWANCES
  • Software Update - SOBDMC - Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module C (Includes Any Other Module Required To Complete SOBDMC Programming) (Can Be Used With C) MT21B61B - Up to 2.0 Hours
  • Park Pawl Replacement (Can be Used With B) 21B61C - 6.1 Hours

This is similar in magnitude to the glass recalls. Early built vehicles had some issues when going downhill in the mountains, extended regen could cause a stop safely now and the rear axle to lock up. We now know this was because of the park pawl being engaged while the vehicle was still moving. This caused extensive damage on the few affected vehicles, requiring replacement of the park pawl or entire rear drive unit in some cases. It seems there are concerns that the park pawl may have been damaged without fully breaking in some cases, which leaves the potential for a future failure.

Related threads:
[UPDATED with Ford Norway's Response] Reports of Steep Downhills / Descents Overheating Mach-E
Highest paved road in North America in a Mach-E! Great going up, coming down... Yikes!!!
Going downhill- car won’t start
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Mine is a Dec 2020 build but haven't seen this pop up in the app yet. Thanks for posting it.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I don't have this in my recalls list yet. Though it might not show up since I had CSP 21P22 performed a few months ago, and my vehicle didn't have this particular Stop Safely Now concern yet. Is there a recent update to the SOBDMC firmware, i.e. within the last several months?

Anyone have a copy of the technician instructions? I'm hoping the pawl only needs to be replaced for vehicles that experienced full powertrain shutdown (with parking pawl action) with the Stop Safely Now message, while the vehicle was in motion. That's not many people, although some here on the forum had that experience for sure.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I don't have this in my recalls list yet. Though it might not show up since I had CSP 21P22 performed a few months ago, and my vehicle didn't have this particular Stop Safely Now concern yet. Is there a recent update to the SOBDMC firmware, i.e. within the last several months?

Anyone have a copy of the technician instructions? I'm hoping the pawl only needs to be replaced for vehicles that experienced full powertrain shutdown (with parking pawl action) with the Stop Safely Now message, while the vehicle was in motion. That's not many people, although some here on the forum had that experience for sure.
I think the software was patched as of TSB 21-2245 which was released in August 2021. The downhill issue was also specifically mentioned in 21P22 November 2021. So not a recent update, if you've gotten 21P22 or Bluecruise then you'd have the update already (and may not have this CSP show up). However this is the first inclusion of park pawl replacement.

No technician instructions yet, hopefully soon. If you had this happen and got a grinding noise, I'd definitely want the park pawl replaced. But I think it's interesting Ford is requiring the park pawl to be replaced on unsold vehicles. There probably aren't very many unsold 2021's left from before March 2021 however.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think the software was patched as of TSB 21-2245 which was released in August 2021. The downhill issue was also specifically mentioned in 21P22 November 2021. So not a recent update, if you've gotten 21P22 or Bluecruise then you'd have the update already (and may not have this CSP show up). However this is the first inclusion of park pawl replacement.

No technician instructions yet, hopefully soon. If you had this happen and got a grinding noise, I'd definitely want the park pawl replaced. But I think it's interesting Ford is requiring the park pawl to be replaced on unsold vehicles. There probably aren't very many unsold 2021's left from before March 2021 however.
My car made that grinding noise after the first Power Up OTA. Started driving to work, got about a mile down the road and then Stop Safely Now and every other message in the system. I pulled over and before I came to a complete stop....that awful noise. 😧

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
And to think I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel (picked up my car after the glass recalls, and 2nd ½ shaft replacement) on correcting my problem child... Looks like I'll be scheduling another appointment (unless as @macchiaz-o states maybe pawls will only need to be replaced if they engaged on shutdown.) Lane centering still doesn't work (dealer techs really need to understand how this stuff works.)

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Customer Sat program: I doubt it will show up in Ford Pass at all.

21B22 didn't show up in FP either.

This isn't a recall thus not everyone will need it.

Raybdc97

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Na
Country flag
So who exactly needs this...I still need my glass done soon...

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I had 21P22 done when I had my glass redone. I think I am good. We will see if this pops in Fordpass.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I had 21P22 done when I had my glass redone. I think I am good. We will see if this pops in Fordpass.

me too....
My dealer was willing to try (twice!) to complete the 21p22 updates when I brought my car in for windshield. The Dealer was glad I brought info to them that they needed to update their FDRS, then then were able to complete all module updates required for 21p22

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Wow 6 hours to replace park pawl. Must be hard to get to?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Also, why is such a serious safety issue just a CSP?
Sponsored