Daily Work Commute Flat Tire Story - British Columbia, Canada - UPDATE - Dealer "Had an Accident" while repairing

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD, Audi TT, Nissan ElGrand
Country flag
I drive 55km to and 55km from work every day in my Mach E. Had a flat tire on the way home yesterday so thought I'd share my experience as my nightmare over owning my first car ever without a spare tire before just came true.

Meanwhile our neighbours to the East are having a snow storm to end all snow storms - the radio is playing stories of people trapped in their cars under blizzard conditions for hours on end - this is not a complaint thread, just story of a first time ford owner trying ford roadside assistance for the first time.

Select RWD 19" Appearance Pkg - so running the 19" Michelin Primacy A/S tires.

Was changing lanes o the highway going about 110km/h yesterday speeding up into the "fast lane" and "POP-psssshhhhyyyyyuuuuu" soon followed by low PSi warnings on the dash.
Pulled over a few hundreds yards away after changing back 3 lanes to the curb to a 0PSI tire screen and flat tire.

Crap. It's pouring rain in Vancouver, BC and don't like the idea of getting soaked while pumping the tire full of glue so pulled up the FordPass App to request roadside and a tow to my home dealership to repair. Thinking no glue equals an easy and hopefully cheap repair.

FordPass App on my iPhone tap of Roadside Assistance pulls up call 1-800 number button. Had just reset Sync4 screen 15min previous (DOWN+SKIP TRACK FOR 10sec) so phone call played nicely through car speakers. Followed voice prompts to request roadside assistance. Computer voice lady sent a link to my phone which prompted to "allow share location" in Safari browser and was sort of a cool process of computer voice quiz show lady on the phone reading the same questions presented on the phone screen like nature of emergency, location, etc to the point where I answered and clicked 'next' before she finished reading some questions she'd even interrupt herself and say 'Got It, Thank-you" ... I was thinking to myself THIS IS COOL! - until step 6 of 7 - phone lady said "Seems like your phone does not support data and phone calls at the same time, please hold while we transfer you to an agent."

Waited 5 minutes thinking I bet there are people in Ontario or New York right now waiting to speak to someone with far more important problems so hung up and called again to re-start the process.

This time I took my time and let her read the trivia questions and answered slower with patience and finished it all successfully to the same result of wait while we transfer you to an agent.

After 10 more minutes one of the hold messages apologizing for the unusually high call volumes said I am welcome to call me local service provider and submit receipts and all expenses will be reimbursed according to plan limits.

So I texted my tow truck buddy and he showed up in 10 minutes... I was still hold with Ford so hung up.

Showed up at the dealership that I bought it from (22km of the 25km allowed in roadside assistance) service desk was closed but buddy who sold it to me was there and helpful so we got it checked in.

Today, service counter says side walls are ruined, can't fix the tire. Needs to be replaced. Looking at roughly $200 for tire + mounting + shop parts + environment fee + taxex = $300.

I drove less than 500 yards to slow down and get off the road.

Mwaaamwaa.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Daily Work Commute Flat Tire Story - British Columbia, Canada - UPDATE - Dealer "Had an Accident" while repairing 2022-01-17 16-22-36
Sponsored

Last edited:

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
$100 to mount and balance a tire,? Lmao. My response would be, “hold on one sec. Ima grab my wheel and be back in a few”. Then go literally anywhere else lol.

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$100 to mount and balance a tire,? Lmao. My response would be, “hold on one sec. Ima grab my wheel and be back in a few”. Then go literally anywhere else lol.
Have yet to see the invoice. Dealership "matches all competitors tire prices" so printed out some local tire shop tire prices to match + check when I go to pick up. Some of the fees are government mandated so can't negotiate them....

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just called them back and told them to check my software modules too re my Sync4 crash shortly before the flat... Maybe I'll get it back with some games apps :)

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OMG, Can't make this up.

Went to pick it up last night and was greeted by the service manager who emerged out from behind his acrylic barrier.

Sorry sir, our technician had a small accident with your car. He drove over a toolbox.

We're going check the alignment and send it to the body shop across the street to get it repaired right. Lifetime warranty.... We have a rental car ready for you.... blah bla blah

Long Story short, tire fixing kid didn't realize the torque and drove over a tool box. Said tool box lid flipped open and smacked front of car, chipping off paint in 3 spots.

Car is 1 month old.

What are my options? Bend over and let them do that they want?
Do I ask for a new car or what?

I'm 40+ years old and this is my first ever new car purchase. I've always drove used.

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Oof. I feel for you. ? I hope the dealer takes care of you properly. Where do you go for your service by the way (in Vancouver)?

I'm pretty doubtful they'll give you a new car. You will get the repairs of course. Possibly ask to be comp'd the tire charges? Do you have pictures of how severe the damage is?

--

So not sure if this makes you feel better or worse... I picked up my brand new Mach-E just a 4 days ago. Yesterday while parked on residential street enjoying a takeout sandwich in the car, a lady comes trying to park in too small a spot between my car and an intersection. No way she will fit but she tries anyway. Backs right into me with me sitting in my car! ?

I was more incredulous than furious. Thankfully it was a very light tap. I didn't see anything on my car with the rain out... and haven't checked in more detail yet.

BC-Mach-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME SR RWD
Country flag
Dealer should just give you the free fire change, repaint all damage and you should notask for something else too, like free tire rotation at 10k km. Or something extra at least!

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OMG, Can't make this up.

Went to pick it up last night and was greeted by the service manager who emerged out from behind his acrylic barrier.

Sorry sir, our technician had a small accident with your car. He drove over a toolbox.

We're going check the alignment and send it to the body shop across the street to get it repaired right. Lifetime warranty.... We have a rental car ready for you.... blah bla blah

Long Story short, tire fixing kid didn't realize the torque and drove over a tool box. Said tool box lid flipped open and smacked front of car, chipping off paint in 3 spots.

Car is 1 month old.

What are my options? Bend over and let them do that they want?
Do I ask for a new car or what?

I'm 40+ years old and this is my first ever new car purchase. I've always drove used.
One year into owning a Porsche Macan I brought it in for regular service. I was talking to service manager and heard a crash. I said that doesn’t sound good.

turns out their service garage door closed by accident, of course it fell on my car. Amazingly it his only the rear window and no metal.

they had my car for 4 weeks fixing it and when I sent to pick it up they still had to do a small touch up so I had to come back again.

I told them I wanted two annual services for free. They finally agreed to the 30k and 40k services. For that car it amounted to thousands in free service for me. The service manager did make a comment that he hoped I wasn’t taking advantage of him. I gave him a look and didn’t answer. They also gave me a loaner for all that time. I also made sure that this repair would not be reported so it didn’t show up on car fax.

they should do something for you and what that something is depends on how bad the damage is.

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oof. I feel for you. ? I hope the dealer takes care of you properly. Where do you go for your service by the way (in Vancouver)?

I'm pretty doubtful they'll give you a new car. You will get the repairs of course. Possibly ask to be comp'd the tire charges? Do you have pictures of how severe the damage is?

--

So not sure if this makes you feel better or worse... I picked up my brand new Mach-E just a 4 days ago. Yesterday while parked on residential street enjoying a takeout sandwich in the car, a lady comes trying to park in too small a spot between my car and an intersection. No way she will fit but she tries anyway. Backs right into me with me sitting in my car! ?

I was more incredulous than furious. Thankfully it was a very light tap. I didn't see anything on my car with the rain out... and haven't checked in more detail yet.

Misery loves company? Haha. I do feel better Thankyou.

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

--

oh and I brought it to service to where I bought it from.

So far they have accepted responsibility and are repairing professionally without a claim.

I asked manager to make this right today on the phone with an annolgy of how I’d go above and beyond in my own service industry sector and what would he come up with if he was in my shoes.

So far I feel I should not shame or praise specifically where this is till all is done and done.

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealer should just give you the free fire change, repaint all damage and you should notask for something else too, like free tire rotation at 10k km. Or something extra at least!
Yes they’ve agreed to cover cost of the new tire and mounting since I declined a rental car offer.

OP
OP
backwardsfish

backwardsfish

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Turns out they DROVE IT OFF THE LIFT!! ( not over a toolbox.)

Well, the toolbox is sort of correct if you watch the dash cam footage... The incident did involve a toolbox.

Some thick metal bars underneath that they tell me are the battery supports are bent, and plastic skirting on front and sides gouged. Still waiting on some parts as of Feb 14, about 1 month later. (Accident occurred Jan 18.)

They fixed some scratches to front "bumper" at local body shop, but now notice that some of the front panels (like front wheel well / charger port area) no longer line up flush with both front doors. The charger door port also doesn't sit as flush as it used to.

Hoping they can get those panels all nice and flush again...

Dash Cam Video: (no audio.)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Unfortunately, too many people are driving these in shops and such that aren't familiar with how they drive, and are hitting things, surging forward, etc.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Turns out they DROVE IT OFF THE LIFT!! ( not over a toolbox.)

Well, the toolbox is sort of correct if you watch the dash cam footage... The incident did involve a toolbox.

Some thick metal bars underneath that they tell me are the battery supports are bent, and plastic skirting on front and sides gouged. Still waiting on some parts as of Feb 14, about 1 month later. (Accident occurred Jan 18.)

They fixed some scratches to front "bumper" at local body shop, but now notice that some of the front panels (like front wheel well / charger port area) no longer line up flush with both front doors. The charger door port also doesn't sit as flush as it used to.

Hoping they can get those panels all nice and flush again...

Dash Cam Video: (no audio.)
Uh that sounds like a whole battery pack replacement, I’d ask for a new car or get ready to sue.