Engineer
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How do those actually stay in? Also, thanks for the link (and those of you who linked the stickers). I think I am going to go add all this to my car to avoid this issue later.
See previous post re: screws and tape

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Beerbronco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT (Moody Blue); 2012 Xterra
Country flag
@dbsb3233 I hope they fix it up fast and you can get the diminished value claim as well. Good Luck!
This just scares me and now I have to look into the stickers and pucks in this post as a mod in the near future.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
While Jack pads are a great idea, not sure these would have prevented the problem since a much larger bolt was sheared off at the end of the rail. 🤔🐩
I don’t see a sheared bolt, just a broken plastic clip. I do agree that a pad wouldn’t have necessarily prevented a Jack from slipping.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Crazy.

My local Discount Tire replaced a leaking tire (they even had to order one from out of state) without issue. They knew all about the Mach-E jack points too. They performed the work inside the bay though.

They would NOT deal with my MINI electric though for various reasons so I had to take that to my MINI dealer who fixed a broken valve stem.

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag
Yes, something like this:

IMG_3531.jpeg
I should have had stickers like this on our old Prius that incurred some body damage when the catalytic converter was stolen. "Here - let me help you not damage the REST of the car while you vandalize it!"

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While the pucks and stickers are intriguing, there's a little drawback to both I can think of.

The pucks look great, but if there's a jack slip anyway, I'd be a bit concerned they'd blame it on the puck that the owner affixed and use that as a way to avoid damage liability.

And the sticker looks great, but the arrows pointing to another spot could be misinterpreted as to the exact spot (like on the rail that hangs down instead of the frame next to it). I'm thinking something outlining the exact spot would be better.

I don't know if putting a "Lift Point" sticker on the exact spot is ideal either though, as maybe the sticker itself could be slick and not make for a great friction fit for the jack (and again, maybe be a way for them to avoid liability).

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but how about something as simple as using some bright color nail polish to draw a rectangle around the spot? And maybe brush the surface of those little triangles to highlight them too?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but how about something as simple as using some bright color nail polish to draw a rectangle around the spot? And maybe brush the surface of those little triangles to highlight them too?
I think I achieved what you're describing, but with highly reflective, bright stickers.

These were under $6 when I purchased them last year. I'm sure similar products are still out there.

X AUTOHAUX 10pcs Automotive Reflective Stickers Night Visibility Safety Reflective Tape Universal Adhesive for Car 40 x 5cm Silver Tone Blue Arrows Pattern https://a.co/d/2s7YtME

Ford Mustang Mach-E Damaged from jack slipping off lift rail PXL_20230112_024300473

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
So sorry to hear about the damage they caused. I changed from all season to winter tires in Nov and based on where the lift points are located, the way to avoid damage is to use a block that fits between the battery rails and the plastic trim piece…in addition to the advice that @Mach-Lee cited above about a rolling jack. Even if the floor jack didn’t slip, simply lifting without blocks will cause some damage the outboard plastic trim piece.

I ended up taking another member’s advice and buying lift blocks and keeping them in the vehicle in case something like this happens.
Me too, I have 4 lift blocks for each jack point, a 150 ftlb torque stick and a tire plug kit in my car. I like to fix it myself before take it to a shop. If I have to let some else do it I got all the stuff to help them to get it done right.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
While the pucks and stickers are intriguing, there's a little drawback to both I can think of.

The pucks look great, but if there's a jack slip anyway, I'd be a bit concerned they'd blame it on the puck that the owner affixed and use that as a way to avoid damage liability.

And the sticker looks great, but the arrows pointing to another spot could be misinterpreted as to the exact spot (like on the rail that hangs down instead of the frame next to it). I'm thinking something outlining the exact spot would be better.

I don't know if putting a "Lift Point" sticker on the exact spot is ideal either though, as maybe the sticker itself could be slick and not make for a great friction fit for the jack (and again, maybe be a way for them to avoid liability).

So sorry this happened to you, that sounds really crappy. At least they were honest -- although I don't see how you can hide that one.

I had my tires replaced at Americas Tire (same chain as Discount Tire), and I stood there right next to them and impressed upon them that they must lift the car at the jack points only, and that if they hit the rail that I showed them, it was a $28,000 error they would be making.

They were very familiar with Teslas (there's um uh lots of them out here) and so they automatically decided to use hand jacks instead of a lift.

I can say that, with my instructions and oversight plus just corvette jack pads in front, and the Tesla ones jammed in my rear (no stickers), they totally were able to understand and do the right thing. I'm really glad I had jack pads installed on my car, and this seems like something folks should throw in the frunk (along with an OBD-II adapter -- there's a person a day who could use one who makes a "my car failed and I don't know why!" post).

I notice from the picture here that they put my car on a flat concrete surface for the four jacks they used, not the more abrasive asphalt you see behind my car. Didn't think of this myself before (I never used a jack like these myself on a car), but I bet that was a good thing and perhaps something they knew to do.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Damaged from jack slipping off lift rail PXL_20220316_213538435

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Me too, I have 4 lift blocks for each jack point, a 150 ftlb torque stick and a tire plug kit in my car. I like to fix it myself before take it to a shop. If I have to let some else do it I got all the stuff to help them to get it done right.
To echo what you said, I had a leaky tire for 2 months that I kept babying till I switched to winter tires. I took the all season tire to the shop and dropped it off for repair. Anything to avoid dealing with someone else lifting the vehicle and causing an issue.

Last edited: