Dangerous speed limit sign recognition errors - To Me, This Is So Bad!

redMachE22

First Name
Colins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red Mach E GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My wife was driving local using the regular cruise control set at 35 mph. At some point along the way, the car must have spotted some sign that said 80. Out of the blue, the cruise control reset the speed to 85 in LOCAL street. My wife quickly SLAMMED on the brake! This is beyond bad. Ford, you have a lot of work ahead of you. This speed will kill people.

I misspoke in the original post where I said BlueCruise instead of cruise control.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dangerous speed limit sign recognition errors - To Me, This Is So Bad! bad
Sponsored

Last edited:

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
I've had to turn that option off in driver settings, under cruise control. I believe it's called Speed Sign recognition. I got beyond annoyed with the car changing my preset cruise control speed based on whatever sign it thought it saw. Don't know what overpaid engineer in Dearborn came up with this monkey trick, but it's doing more harm than good.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Turn off speed sign recognition. It’s a work in progress and doesn’t add anything. Completely solves the problem. You paid 60 grand for the car you might as well drive it yourself.

Jes sayin. Artificial intelligence is what it says it is it’s artificial. Don’t expect it to act naturally.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Disable the speed sign recognition. I'm not sure what its useful for.
GPS maps are usually pretty good about having the local roads covered for what the speed limit currently is.

OP
OP
redMachE22

redMachE22

First Name
Colins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red Mach E GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've had to turn that option off in driver settings, under cruise control. I believe it's called Speed Sign recognition. I got beyond annoyed with the car changing my preset cruise control speed based on whatever sign it thought it saw. Don't know what overpaid engineer in Dearborn came up with this monkey trick, but it's doing more harm than good.
Yes, my wife found that option and turned it off.

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
I had to turn mine off for the opposite problem. Here in Idaho we have speed signs that list both the car speed limit and the truck speed limit which is 10mph slower. My car would always read just the truck signs and slow down on the freeways.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The only time Ive had issues was when there's an access road paralleling the interstate. Over all, it's one of my favorite features.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
And the contrarian view, ….😉

I use it all the time on the highway when using Blue Cruise. Yeah, it misreads something now and then, but it’s never been a huge issue with overriding it. I set it at 9 mile over and never worry too much about speeding tickets. I wouldn’t be using it usually around town at 35 mph. I have used it , though, on backroads that go through towns where the speed limit goes up down and up from 65 to 55 to 45 to 35 and back up again. Works pretty good if you’re not paying attention.

RobbertPatrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice White Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I also noticed this problem of suddenly switching to 85mph on a local road when no apparent sign was visible. That is 35MPH more than you would ever expect on a non-highway. It is strange that the system does not guard against its own mistakes.

Lane-centering and radar cruise control are a little too flaky to be useful on local roads.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
And now for the unpopular point of view: BlueCruise isn’t designed for, or meant for “local driving”. Sure, the Main Street in my neighborhood is 35 MPH, but there are driveways on this road, uncontrolled intersections, cyclists, runners, people walking dogs, etc. Use of BlueCruise would border of criminal irresponsibility.

Hardy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E (If it ever arrives)
Country flag
And now for the unpopular point of view: BlueCruise isn’t designed for, or meant for “local driving”. Sure, the Main Street in my neighborhood is 35 MPH, but there are driveways on this road, uncontrolled intersections, cyclists, runners, people walking dogs, etc. Use of BlueCruise would border of criminal irresponsibility.

Maybe fair, but the speed limit sign recognition feature appears to me to be part of the cruise control function - not Blue Cruise. I think the speed limit sign thing works even with Blue Cruise turned off, unless you do as others have done and deactivate that specific feature.

Could be wrong.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
My wife was driving local using BlueCruise set at 35 mph. At some point along the way, the car must have spotted some sign that said 80. Out of the blue, the BlueCruise reset the speed to 85 in LOCAL street. My wife quickly SLAMMED on the brake! This is beyond bad. Ford, you have a lot of work ahead of you. This speed will kill people.
Would the OP consider changing the title of this thread to "Dangerous speed limit sign recognition errors"?

The way its written currently is pretty click bait-y.

OP
OP
redMachE22

redMachE22

First Name
Colins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red Mach E GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Like all thing in life, it is about using it responsibly. I have to disagree with your point above.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah it was just incorrect usage of the term, it wasn't BlueCruise in this case, just Intelligent Adaptive Cruise with Speed Sign Recognition.

I unfortunately take the side that this is a side effect of any automated system. It's why these systems are driver aids, not driver replacement. I have never turned off speed recognition in my truck and have had a few instances of incorrect reads, usually with it trying to adjust to a school zone sign when it's outside the hours needed. I just cancel it and continue driving. Since I am not on my phone or otherwise distracted, these events never "Freak me out" or anything, and the truck barely starts accelerating or slowing down before I cancel it.

That said, if someone doesn't like it, it can be turned off. And it has room to grow for sure, I am not claiming it's perfect. But whenever I see these posts they always come off like a crisis, but I can't come around to how it could be if the driver was paying attention and knows the system.
Sponsored