Dash Cam and OBD cable - is it an option? which one to pick?

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Hey guys,
I am in the dash cam rabbit hole and I am trying to figure out which connectivity option is right for me.

USB is simple but messy and I won't benefit from the parking mode features
OBD seems great but I find conflicting information on the compatibility of the MME
Hardwire seems complex

When I look at this Dash Cam (which is the one sold by Ford too) they give you an option to pick an EV or non-EV OBD cable.
However if we look at the EV OBD cable, it says "not compatible with the MME"
On the Ford webpage though, it shows a picture of an OBD cable but a "traditional non EV one".
My gut is telling me that Ford used some regular ass OBD cable but I can't get a straight answer. When I call the Ford dealership they have no idea what I'm talking about. They don't even know how to install a dash cam and don't even know about the accessories.

so...which cable do I get?
has anybody here hooked up a dash cam with the OBD cable in the MME? if so which cable and which dash cam?
Sponsored

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
I am interested in seeing the responses to this post. I might be getting a dash cam in the future. After car is delivered next spring.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Given the issues some people have had with the 12V battery draining, I would look super carefully at the power draw of an OBD camera, even when not being used. The 12V power pin on OBD2 is unswitched, so the additional draw, even while powered off, could cause you to lose your 12V battery...

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Hey guys,
I am in the dash cam rabbit hole and I am trying to figure out which connectivity option is right for me.

USB is simple but messy and I won't benefit from the parking mode features
OBD seems great but I find conflicting information on the compatibility of the MME
Hardwire seems complex

When I look at this Dash Cam (which is the one sold by Ford too) they give you an option to pick an EV or non-EV OBD cable.
However if we look at the EV OBD cable, it says "not compatible with the MME"
On the Ford webpage though, it shows a picture of an OBD cable but a "traditional non EV one".
My gut is telling me that Ford used some regular ass OBD cable but I can't get a straight answer. When I call the Ford dealership they have no idea what I'm talking about. They don't even know how to install a dash cam and don't even know about the accessories.

so...which cable do I get?
has anybody here hooked up a dash cam with the OBD cable in the MME? if so which cable and which dash cam?
I believe someone on the forums had tried to Ford "OEM" cam and ODB cable with no luck, but of course that post is buried somewhere and I don't have the the time investigate.

I ended up just using a cheaper USB front-only dash came for now, but if no sort of "sentry mode" is teased within the next 6 months I'll look at front/rear hardwired cams to replace it with.

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
ODB2 in the MME (like most other EVs) isn't useful for Dashcam as it's switched off when the car isn't running which renders sentry mode useless.

Remove the camera cover/housing from behind the mirror and install a 12V "mirror-tap" to a non switching power source.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
I have been running my dashcam permanently connected to 12V using the OBD port for a couple of months with no issues at all. The OBD port is required to supply at least 3A of non-switched 12V.

It will trigger an error code which will show up B1616 if left for several days. It does not mean it will fail or discharge the battery, it just means it detects there is a power draw from the 12V system during key off.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I installed a Thinkware U1000 with radar and tried both Thinkware and Iroad Obd cables. Neither one would stayed power up for very long to keep radar working when MME shut down and Radar waking up. Ended up hardwired per previous posts and was quite simple.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I do not have my MME but am planning on hooking up a camera and using the sentry mode. The hardwired option is simply. Most of the camera sellers provide install kits that allow you to remove a fuse (can be switched or un-switched) and add the hardwire dongle. I am going to hardwire mine to an un-switched fuse and add a back-up battery for the cameras. The batteries are a about $100 to $300 depending upon capacity. I figured the few hundred dollar investment on a battery is better than the possibility of being stranded by draining my 12v battery. I want the sentry mode so I can capture if someone hits me or damages my MME when I am parked. This allows me to do both.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I do not have my MME but am planning on hooking up a camera and using the sentry mode. The hardwired option is simply. Most of the camera sellers provide install kits that allow you to remove a fuse (can be switched or un-switched) and add the hardwire dongle. I am going to hardwire mine to an un-switched fuse and add a back-up battery for the cameras. The batteries are a about $100 to $300 depending upon capacity. I figured the few hundred dollar investment on a battery is better than the possibility of being stranded by draining my 12v battery. I want the sentry mode so I can capture if someone hits me or damages my MME when I am parked. This allows me to do both.
I left for a trip for 25 days with hardwired Dash cam with radar, lost 1% Charge and car started up just fine. I think it would be redundant for a Battery for dash cam as MME is
suppose to charge 12 volt battery when low.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think it would be redundant for a Battery for dash cam as MME is
The MME is supposed to do a lot of things but fails at it... Walking up to a EV with a dead battery would not be on my list of things I would want to experience.

The battery is used for parking mode, if you don't want parking mode then a battery bank would not really be needed. However, if you are wanting to record what is going on around your car while at work or if you have to park on the street it could be running hours on hours. It could be possible to draw more power than the 12v battery would like in that case, which is what the banks are for.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I have an OBD to USB adapter from my previous car that I tried on my MME. About 15 minutes into any drive it would stop sending power. I ended up wiring up to the fuse box for my Thinkware U1000 and I've had zero issues since.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I left for a trip for 25 days with hardwired Dash cam with radar, lost 1% Charge and car started up just fine. I think it would be redundant for a Battery for dash cam as MME is
Yes the main pack is supposed to maintain the 12 volt. There was an issue early on that it wasn't sending power to the 12 volt when the car was plugged in and charging but that has been addressed.

I haven't let my car sit for more than three days so far, and I have my dash cam hardwired to the fuse box and parking mode enabled. I haven't had any issues so far, but I'm willing to risk it.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
ODB2 in the MME (like most other EVs) isn't useful for Dashcam as it's switched off when the car isn't running which renders sentry mode useless.

Remove the camera cover/housing from behind the mirror and install a 12V "mirror-tap" to a non switching power source.
I didn't realize this was thing - I may have to look into it. I know folks have wired up radar's to the wiring behind the mirror.

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
I have the Thinkware U1000 installed in my car using the Iroad power obd2 cable for electric cars and it works great. I haven't had any problems with it and it was super easy to install.

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I have the Thinkware U1000 installed in my car using the Iroad power obd2 cable for electric cars and it works great. I haven't had any problems with it and it was super easy to install.
does it keep the cam powered when the car is off for parking mode?
Sponsored