Dash Cam and OBD cable - is it an option? which one to pick?

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
does it keep the cam powered when the car is off for parking mode?
Yes it does. I have the rear camera and also the radar motion detection module installed in my car. I can access the clips in the thinkware app on my phone. I just ran the wire around the windshield down to the OBD port. This was the easiest way for me to install since I know nothing about fuses or wiring. Just make sure you choose OBD cable for electric car.
Sponsored

RyanSD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME AWD EXT, 2013 Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
IT Systems Architect
Country flag
I didn't realize this was thing - I may have to look into it. I know folks have wired up radar's to the wiring behind the mirror.
I would suggest using a multimeter to locate a "non-switching" power supply for the Dash Cam, I may be mistaken but I believe the infrared/motion sensor/whatever the hell this thing is (left side of the housing) is active while the car is not in use.

The power supply for the auto-dimming mirror is "switching" and is great for usage with a radar detector, IMO.

Last edited:

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
My MMEx/RT1 is as follows.

1. Grabbed up a OBD2 Cam adapter to plug into the OBD2 port to power the DashCam as well as Sentinel mode (Cam is on as long as power doesn't go below xVolts. (smile.amazon linkage)
  2. Grabbed up a USB to Cig Lighter adapter to plug into the OBD2 connector's USB port and Cig Lighter for the DashCam power
  3. Stuffed the wires up the side of the dash all the way up to the windscreen headliner.
  4. Pushed the extra dashcam wiring into the pillar/posts to hide and on to the rear cam mounting (The loop is required so you can open/close the hatch)
  5. Pushed the Front cam wires behind the radar plate.
With the OBD2 adapter you don't need to worry about splicing/fuse taps etc. AND bonus the OBD2 adapter will keep the DashCam powered while you are shopping/dining etc.

This is the link to the OBD2 adaptor I got, however, this links to a mini USB where mine is a regular USB, so the USB to 12V needs to be different if you go with my link here instead of just grabbing one up there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Yes it does. I have the rear camera and also the radar motion detection module installed in my car. I can access the clips in the thinkware app on my phone. I just ran the wire around the windshield down to the OBD port. This was the easiest way for me to install since I know nothing about fuses or wiring. Just make sure you choose OBD cable for electric car.
interesting, because on the page for the OBD2 cable they say
*IROAD "Electric" OBD-Power Cable is NOT compatible with Ford Mustang Mach-E. We recommend using a hardwiring kit instead.

I wonder why they are saying that then...
When I asked them about it, they insisted it won't work

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
  1. Grabbed up a OBD2 Cam adapter to plug into the OBD2 port to power the DashCam as well as Sentinel mode (Cam is on as long as power doesn't go below xVolts. (smile.amazon linkage)
  2. Grabbed up a USB to Cig Lighter adapter to plug into the OBD2 connector's USB port and Cig Lighter for the DashCam power
Thank you for that, however I am confused why you need the step 2 here? Why not get an OBD cable that plugs directly into the Dash Cam? Or am I missing something here?

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Thank you for that, however I am confused why you need the step 2 here? Why not get an OBD cable that plugs directly into the Dash Cam? Or am I missing something here?
Because my dashcam (BlackVue DR750X-2CH) has a Lighter plug, not a USB plug on the end of it. I'm sure there's a direct cable out there, but... And the OBD2 has a USB plug end.

Also, my old KonaEV even though there was an on/off (On being on until it sensed a 11.8v power drop then it would shut off or off, being off 5 min after you shut off the car)

Neither option worked, as the KonaEV would sense the power drop and would fill the 12v from the traction battery, then the cam would start up again and the cycle would end up killing two 12v batteries. So I also put an inline on/off switch to just kill the dashcam while parked in my spot as I already have several Security cams pointing to the parking area

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
*IROAD "Electric" OBD-Power Cable is NOT compatible with Ford Mustang Mach-E. We recommend using a hardwiring kit instead.

I *think* it's because the switch doesn't work they way they advertise.

e.g. Off is off after 5 min of turning off the MME and On, is stay on until the power drops to 11.5v but I don't think it works that way, it seems to just be always on. I've put an inline USB on/off switch so I can 'really' turn off the dashcam if I get problems with the 12v battery failing (Like my old KonaEV did (twice)). But I haven't tested it yet in the MME to be sure that's what is happening.

The OFF (turn off after 5 min of the car shut off would turn back on after 5 min in my KonaEV)

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I’m not sure why they’re now saying that. I contacted them when i placed my order and they reassured me that the electric obd2 cable is what i needed for my car to connect the dash cam. I’ve had it now for 4 months and it hasn’t given me any issues.

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
I’m not sure why they’re now saying that. I contacted them when i placed my order and they reassured me that the electric obd2 cable is what i needed for my car to connect the dash cam. I’ve had it now for 4 months and it hasn’t given me any issues.
very nice. I’ll get the F200 with the same cable then.

Megabueno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE
Country flag
If anyone is looking for the cable, I have extra one I can sell. I ended up hard wiring my Thinkware and did not end up using this cable.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I have the Thinkware U1000 installed in my car using the Iroad power obd2 cable for electric cars and it works great. I haven't had any problems with it and it was super easy to install.
I have a F200 Pro using the thinkware OMBII cable and it is powered and using parking mode. Ford using this same install so I don't know why I'm seeing a disclaimer for the mach E. I am having issues connecting to Wi-FI so likley sending it back and wondering what would be a better dash cam. I wish Ford would do Sentry mode.

The IROAD Power OBD-II cable can simply be plugged into the OBD terminal to enable parking recording with IROAD dash cams.

• LED
  • Set Recording Mode (S: Driving Mode Only / P: Driving & Parking Mode)
  • Overcurrent Cut-Off
  • Supports Stop & Go Technology
  • Compatible with Electric/Hybrid/Non-Electric vehicles*

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a F200 Pro using the thinkware OMBII cable and it is powered and using parking mode. Ford using this same install so I don't know why I'm seeing a disclaimer for the mach E. I am having issues connecting to Wi-FI so likley sending it back and wondering what would be a better dash cam. I wish Ford would do Sentry mode.

The IROAD Power OBD-II cable can simply be plugged into the OBD terminal to enable parking recording with IROAD dash cams.

• LED
  • Set Recording Mode (S: Driving Mode Only / P: Driving & Parking Mode)
  • Overcurrent Cut-Off
  • Supports Stop & Go Technology
  • Compatible with Electric/Hybrid/Non-Electric vehicles*

I wish they had sentry mode too. But I’ve had no issues with my dash cam using the IROAD OBD cable. If you go to the ford website they also sell the dash cam with the OBD cable.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I wish they had sentry mode too. But I’ve had no issues with my dash cam using the IROAD OBD cable. If you go to the ford website they also sell the dash cam with the OBD cable.
It's the same camera as the thinkware F200 pro. I had to send mine back as it was not connecting to Wi-FI and decided to get the Blackvue DS750 LTE for integrated data and got a $10 month Tmobile Sim card. The only problem is it will need to be hardwired for parking mode. I am checking installation prices and I may decide to tackle it myself if they want more than it's worth it for me. :)

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
@Mari76 I am about to buy a dash cam and was wondering if you are still not experiencing any issues using the IROAD OBD cable?

OP
OP
gnaark

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
@Mari76 I am about to buy a dash cam and was wondering if you are still not experiencing any issues using the IROAD OBD cable?
I can't speak for him but I'm using the IROAD cable and it's been working very well for months.
Sponsored