DASH-CAM, hard wired, DIY - VIDEO

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
Hey Ben

After getting hit and run recently, and my current dash cam's resolution failing me to be able to ID the license plate in direct sunlight, I plan to do this install, with the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo.

Do you any more pix or video on removing the headliner, the molding in the hatch and fishing it through the chase in the hatch? Also removing the molding and working around the airbags. Sounds a bit scary.

Also, did you use any clips to keep the wire stationary in the headliner?

Looking to do this NEXT weekend, but want to be armed with as much intel to make the job as easy as possible.

OP
OP
Benjamin Kegele

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
Hey Ben

After getting hit and run recently, and my current dash cam's resolution failing me to be able to ID the license plate in direct sunlight, I plan to do this install, with the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo.

Do you any more pix or video on removing the headliner, the molding in the hatch and fishing it through the chase in the hatch? Also removing the molding and working around the airbags. Sounds a bit scary.

Looking to do this NEXT weekend, but want to be armed with as much intel to make the job as easy as possible.
Sorry to hear!

The molding in the hatch just pulls off when you pull on it. Get a tool kit like in the video to avoid damages.
I went with a coat hanger through the bellow. I saw a guy he used a string from a weed eater, might be better and I saw someone which was able to get the bellow out. It took me about 45 minutes to have the wire pushed through it.

The molding goes off very easy everywhere and once it is off the liners get down.

Correct, airbag is scary.
Like mentioned in the video I used the clips they came in the hard wire kit. (Links are in the video description).

If I would have to do it again I would might consider different solutions like the cameras which are facing back on the mirror. Or the oem ford camera.

Just make sure to be patient and have enough time, then it is not too hard. Gloves are needed as there are too many sharp edges

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Hey Ben

Sorry to hear. You can see some pics I posted in the thread below. No need to pull down the pillar trims and going around the airbags. This is the easiest car I've done this on.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...am-and-radar-detector.5542/page-4#post-196379

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Nicely done!

I installed a camera like this in my old F150, was the same wedge type. Good to see that it looks to be pretty darn easy to install in the Mach-E as well. I live in CA, so I don't bother with all the extra work of installing a rear camera, although technically I guess it would help with hit and runs.

Might give it a shot and do a rear/back for the Mach-E. Still really annoys me that Ford can't do something like Tesla and have a 360 dashcam system. That alone almost swayed me to buy a Tesla, such an amazing feature.
Sponsored