Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang Coupe; 2021 MachE AWD ER, Rapid Red
Occupation
Director or Human Resources
Country flag
So I have had the MachE Premium AWD Ext. Range for 48 hours. I still love it! However, there are some opportunities to improve and I still have a lot to learn.

First, I haven’t been able to get my profile to load from FordPass app. The dealer was insistent that you shouldn’t enter it directly and that it was better if it came from the app, so I haven’t tried to enter it on my own. I also can’t seem to get the phone as a key to work. I have the iPhone 12 Pro, so there shouldn’t be any issues. However several times the car tells me that it can’t start because a key is not present. It also hasn’t been lighting up when I get close, unless I have the actual key. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app several times with no success. At this point I will just carry the key because I don’t trust the phone and I don’t want to get stranded. The app does work to lock/unlock and start just fine.

Charging has been an interesting adventure. We ordered the Ford Connect Charger for home over 4 Months ago and it is still not in, so we have to go to local charge stations. The 80% cliff is very real. It sends a message that you have hit 80% and that it will continue to charge but at a stupid slow rate. I can use the 110 outlet at home and it will be about 90% when I leave for work in the morning. The plug and charge worked and didn’t work at the same time. True that you can plug in and it charges your card without the app but it charged the guest rate of $.43 instead of $.31 and I didn’t get any free charge like I was supposed to. This was at an EA station. Hint: Look at all of the chargers before starting. I started charging at one that was only 150kw before realizing that all of the other chargers were 350kw, so I moved and it was much faster.

Also a little concerned about the range. When I picked up the MachE it was fully charged with a range of 220. Now charged to 80% it is only showing 132 mile range. My math says it should be at least 175. I am not sure if that is because I have driving crazy, just having fun with it or because I have also spent time just sitting in it to learn everything with the heat on.

It is absolutely fun to drive and I had three people stop me while it was charging. But there are some opportunities to improve.

5A845073-ACEE-4A35-9BBD-215ECBF24352.jpeg

6F1CD349-6A33-4CD8-9916-13A0088A5EEA.jpeg

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you do not want to wait for the Ford charger, I highly recommend the ChargePoint Flex. Easy to install and excellent, highly rated charger. Available from Amazon and direct.

Thank you for the observations.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
I wonder if you should create two different profiles to test range. I'm pretty sure it remembers YOUR driving habits and adjusts the range appropriately. If you were to create a second one, how will it start off and will it adjust to "normal" driving? May be worth a test.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I also can’t seem to get the phone as a key to work.
Has Phone as a Key worked at all? Did you set it up? There are extra steps that you have to take to activate PaaK in addition to having the app installed.

Hint: Look at all of the chargers before starting. I started charging at one that was only 150kw before realizing that all of the other chargers were 350kw, so I moved and it was much faster.
It's true that some charging cabinets may have issues that prevent full charging speed, but using a 350kW charger instead of a 150kW charger won't make it charge faster. The car can only handle 150kW, so the 350kW station won't be able to send more than that to it.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
It's true that some charging cabinets may have issues that prevent full charging speed, but using a 350kW charger instead of a 150kW charger won't make it charge faster. The car can only handle 150kW, so the 350kW station won't be able to send more than that to it.
One thing to know is if there were any other cars charging at the same time?

Jay_CincyOH

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BWM i3
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
PAAK doesn’t work for me in my wife’s Model 3 if I have my phone in my back pocket. Removing it or keeping in a front pocket seems to help it connect to the car. Perhaps the MME has a similar issue?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
PAAK doesn’t work for me in my wife’s Model 3 if I have my phone in my back pocket. Removing it or keeping in a front pocket seems to help it connect to the car. Perhaps the MME has a similar issue?
Possibly. With Ford, and maybe Tesla, the internal antenna is located in the center console, closest to the driver. Might be the seat belt buckle or some other metal component blocking the connection when the phone is in your back pocket.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If you do not want to wait for the Ford charger, I highly recommend the ChargePoint Flex. Easy to install and excellent, highly rated charger. Available from Amazon and direct.

Thank you for the observations.
He could also consider having everything setup for the Ford charger but having a 14-50 outlet installed at least temporarily along with the proper circuit breaker. Then they could use the mobile charger until the Ford version arrives, then have the station installed snd CB changed.

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wonder if you should create two different profiles to test range. I'm pretty sure it remembers YOUR driving habits and adjusts the range appropriately. If you were to create a second one, how will it start off and will it adjust to "normal" driving? May be worth a test.
I will have to try that out. It must be in a default profile right now since I haven’t entered one. Do you know if there is a way to reset it?

OP
OP

eponyinIL

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Great post. Should the Android OS read as "5.0 or newer, but not too new."
Thank you for the handy guide! They did not give that to me. I was able to set it up on day one and followed all of the steps and received an affirmative message in the app. I think it worked once. Since then I have even been able to get it set back up again after uninstalling and reinstalling, turning on and off Bluetooth, etc... I have to go back to the dealer tomorrow so I will see if they can do it better, but will definitely carry the key for awhile until I regain some trust.

Reactions: DBC

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
He could also consider having everything setup for the Ford charger but having a 14-50 outlet installed at least temporarily along with the proper circuit breaker. Then they could use the mobile charger until the Ford version arrives, then have the station installed snd CB changed.
This is what I did. I had my electrician run the power for the 48amp charger (60 amp circuit with 6 gauge wire) but install a NEMA 14-50 outlet (to pass inspection he had to put a 50 amp breaker on it). When the charger arrives it will get swapped. But at least I can use the Mobile Charger while I wait for the Ford Connected Charger.

When I discovered my utility had a $500 rebate on the ChargePoint Home Flex, I picked that up as well. It is installed for the 2nd garage bay (where I normally park my Escape).
Sponsored