Pierce8888

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium EXT AWD
Country flag
I have a Mustang Mach E Premium on order but my living arrangement just changed and I will be moving to Minnesota. The nearest Electrify America Station near me is around 40 minutes and I will be in an apartment. Im starting to wonder if that would even be worth having to go through that much to charge the car especially in the Winter. Is there any other good DC Fast charging networks that can charge in a similar time frame to Electrify America as I see a lot of them aren't really close to the 150kwh. Just want to make sure I have a good charging option before officially accepting the car.
Sponsored

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have a Mustang Mach E Premium on order but my living arrangement just changed and I will be moving to Minnesota. The nearest Electrify America Station near me is around 40 minutes and I will be in an apartment. Im starting to wonder if that would even be worth having to go through that much to charge the car especially in the Winter. Is there any other good DC Fast charging networks that can charge in a similar time frame to Electrify America as I see a lot of them aren't really close to the 150kwh. Just want to make sure I have a good charging option before officially accepting the car.
PlugShare is going to be your best resources for finding nearby fast chargers as well as level 2 charging in your area. Just at a glance, there really aren't too many DCFC in Minnesota that can deliver 100+kW, unfortunately. You may be able to find a reliable L2 option near your apartment or workplace, or maybe work a 50kW fast charger into your lunch or commute routine a couple of times a week? That 40 minute drive is likely to negate any speed advantage that the EA station has over a more local 50kW charger. With coldgating in the Minnesota winter, you may not see charging speeds above 100kW at any station anyway.

Also, don't sleep on L1 charging. Your apartment building or workplace is more likely to have standard 120V outlets available and may be open to letting you plug in. Three miles an hour can really add up, especially overnight. How many miles would you be driving daily?

Last edited:

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Other charging companies.
EVGO
Chargepoint
Greenlots (may have been bought by someone else)

There have been rumors that Tesla may open up their network to other cars.
I don't expect it to happen in the near term.

Before Superchargers were installed in Charlottesville, VA I fully charged my Tesla S90D in a day and a half using 120 volts for Thanksgiving and Christmas visits.

SnowBunnE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y
Country flag
Will second the Lv 1 charging solution, which I have been using (albeit with DC Charging) as well. It’s by no means “ideal” but, until I have my home Level 2 installed, it beats no charge at all…especially considering those cold days/nights up there. Maybe you can reach out to your building owner to see if they will consider a Lev 2 outlet for EV cars? If not them, I would reach out to the local politicians (STOP LAUGHING) to see if there are any other options available for an EV owner. You may not be the 1st person who has approached them and if I’ve learned nothing else, I know that the squeaky wheel gets the oil…or replaced. You’ll miss 100% of the shots you never take.

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Use plugshare. Dont fast charge everyday! I only fast charge on longer trips and use level 2 charging when at my apartment. Luckily my apartment has 2 chargers. I have to share with a LOT of Teslas but, I do manage to get a charge whenever I need one.

OP
OP

Pierce8888

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium EXT AWD
Country flag
PlugShare is going to be your best resources for finding nearby fast chargers as well as level 2 charging in your area. Just at a glance, there really aren't too many DCFC in Minnesota that can deliver 100+kW, unfortunately. You may be able to find a reliable L2 option near your apartment or workplace, or maybe work a 50kW fast charger into your lunch or commute routine a couple of times a week? That 40 minute drive is likely to negate any speed advantage that the EA station has over a more local 50kW charger. With coldgating in the Minnesota winter, you may not see charging speeds above 100kW at any station anyway.

Also, don't sleep on L1 charging. Your apartment building or workplace is more likely to have standard 120V outlets available and may be open to letting you plug in. Three miles an hour can really add up, especially overnight. How many miles would you be driving daily?
Ill be driving probably around 10-15 Miles daily, also as a note I will be in an underground garage that is heated. I guess my big worry is just how much time im going to spend charging or if ill just be okay charging it up every other week. Originally I was moving to a warmer climate with better charging infrastructure so it was a non concern. But Minnesota is colder and has poor charging. Just want to make sure i'm not gonna be miserable charging it all the time before I make the purchase.

Red Baron

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 2WD Standard Range
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Ill be driving probably around 10-15 Miles daily, also as a note I will be in an underground garage that is heated. I guess my big worry is just how much time im going to spend charging or if ill just be okay charging it up every other week. Originally I was moving to a warmer climate with better charging infrastructure so it was a non concern. But Minnesota is colder and has poor charging. Just want to make sure i'm not gonna be miserable charging it all the time before I make the purchase.
If there is a 120V outlet in the garage, 5 hours overnight would be enough to replace the charge used for 15 miles. Or, if you drive around 100 miles a week, 3 hours on a L2 charger once a week should do the trick.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
They're all correct in that it CAN be done, but you really do need to weigh your options here, because not being able to Level 2 charge at home is problematic enough that you REALLY have to want to live the BEV lifestyle to get around not being able to charge fully every night from a day of more than anticipated driving.

Again, Plugshare is your friend here. Look for L2 chargers near enough to your work to walk there, factoring in walking through snow if necessary. Look for others near enough to your house for an occasional overnight plug-in that you'd be comfortable doing. If you have those easily at hand, you might be okay, but if you're going to depend on a DCFC often (which isn't the best for your battery's long term health), I think you're going to have a really suboptimal experience.

OP
OP

Pierce8888

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium EXT AWD
Country flag
They're all correct in that it CAN be done, but you really do need to weigh your options here, because not being able to Level 2 charge at home is problematic enough that you REALLY have to want to live the BEV lifestyle to get around not being able to charge fully every night from a day of more than anticipated driving.

Again, Plugshare is your friend here. Look for L2 chargers near enough to your work to walk there, factoring in walking through snow if necessary. Look for others near enough to your house for an occasional overnight plug-in that you'd be comfortable doing. If you have those easily at hand, you might be okay, but if you're going to depend on a DCFC often (which isn't the best for your battery's long term health), I think you're going to have a really suboptimal experience.
appreciate the honesty John, might have to revisit the EV game when infrastructure gets a tad better and I have a more optimal living situation

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
Newer apartment complexes are starting to put in some EV charge stations. I'm in MN on east end of Twin Cities and about 5 miles from that EA station. Two apartment complexes Aspire and Ascend in Woodbury have or will have Level 2 EV charge stations for tenants in 2022. I would really lean on your apartment management to install a few ev spots. I am retired and my garage Level 2 supplies my needs. Approximately where in MN do you plan to relocate? Yes, Plug Share is a good resource. There are a few 50 kw dc fast charge stations around. ZEF energy has been installing some dc chargers on outskirts of TC. There is a Minnesota Mach E FB group for MME members. Some members may be able to give you more specific info.

OP
OP

Pierce8888

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium EXT AWD
Country flag
Newer apartment complexes are starting to put in some EV charge stations. I'm in MN on east end of Twin Cities and about 5 miles from that EA station. Two apartment complexes Aspire and Ascend in Woodbury have or will have Level 2 EV charge stations for tenants in 2022. I would really lean on your apartment management to install a few ev spots. I am retired and my garage Level 2 supplies my needs. Approximately where in MN do you plan to relocate? Yes, Plug Share is a good resource. There are a few 50 kw dc fast charge stations around. ZEF energy has been installing some dc chargers on outskirts of TC. There is a Minnesota Mach E FB group for MME members. Some members may be able to give you more specific info.
I am going to be in the Edina & Eden Prairie area, I obviously love EV's but the charger being in Woodbury is a tad far from my work and where I need to be. If I am going to get an EV in Minnesota without having a home charger I think a Tesla might make sense as all the chargers for the Mach E are maxed around 50 KWH

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
If there is a 120V outlet in the garage, 5 hours overnight would be enough to replace the charge used for 15 miles. Or, if you drive around 100 miles a week, 3 hours on a L2 charger once a week should do the trick.
I got by this way for the first few months of having the car, albeit spring and summer, until I moved and got a dedicated L2 installed.

Does require a little planning ahead for times when I couldn't park near an outlet (competed with some Teslas for those spots) or when I had some back-to-back longer drives. I was fortunate to have EVGo (L2 & L3) available as well as some others nearby. As others have mentioned, Plugshare is your friend for this.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I think the ones mentioned work the best, but Ford also has a website Try the tech (ford.com)

TBH though, I second the sentiment above, if I couldn't charge at home (or maybe at work), I wouldn't have even considered a full BEV. Don't forget, you're also paying increased charging rates on the go which make the equation a lot harder. A regular hybrid, or a plug in hybrid that you can more easily 120v when the option is there seems like a better fit, and many of the plug ins still qualify for a partial tax incentive.

OP
OP

Pierce8888

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium EXT AWD
Country flag
I think the ones mentioned work the best, but Ford also has a website Try the tech (ford.com)

TBH though, I second the sentiment above, if I couldn't charge at home (or maybe at work), I wouldn't have even considered a full BEV. Don't forget, you're also paying increased charging rates on the go which make the equation a lot harder. A regular hybrid, or a plug in hybrid that you can more easily 120v when the option is there seems like a better fit, and many of the plug ins still qualify for a partial tax incentive.
Theoretically I think if I still wanted an EV I could probably do a Tesla with the charging network, its no mach e but EV's are just far more fun. I imagine in a few years the other companies public charging will be much better
Sponsored