Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I mean you could always stop in this brewery for a few hours every couple of nights…. Just saying :) but plug share shows quite a few L2 (green) and fast charge (Orange) options around those areas you mentioned. More than there is around where I live, that’s for sure.

Ford Mustang Mach-E DC Fast Chargers besides Electrify America DD55BE2E-CBDF-48EB-B875-4AC185E872E9
Sponsored

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I have a Mustang Mach E Premium on order but my living arrangement just changed and I will be moving to Minnesota. The nearest Electrify America Station near me is around 40 minutes and I will be in an apartment. Im starting to wonder if that would even be worth having to go through that much to charge the car especially in the Winter. Is there any other good DC Fast charging networks that can charge in a similar time frame to Electrify America as I see a lot of them aren't really close to the 150kwh. Just want to make sure I have a good charging option before officially accepting the car.
If you are going to be relying on DC charging exclusively without a place to charge via AC at home, then you will want to stick to slower 50KW chargers for the bulk of your in town charging needs.

A 50KW charger would be charging your battery at around a 0.5C rate assuming you have the bigger battery, which is safe to be used exclusively without causing premature degradation.

On the other hand if you charged at a 100KW - 150KW exclusively, you would be charging at a 1C rate or higher, which is not recommended for your regular daily/weekly charging needs, and would cause premature battery degradation and shorten the life of the battery.

The good news is that 50KW chargers are easily found around town for this reason, while faster chargers are typically placed closer to highways to accommodate road trips where you need to charge faster and are on the go.

I live in a condo with no access to AC charging infrastructure at home, so I charge exclusively at 50KW chargers around town. There are several just a couple minutes from where I live as well, and I typically only need to charge once per week. I normally like to charge when I'm at around 40% to 50%, and I only charge to about 80% as well.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
The majority of DCFC that aren't EA (in the US at least) are only 50kW. That goes for EVGo and ChargePoint especially. I don't think I've ever seen one of those two above 50kW. My issue with 50kW is really I don't have the time-I already sacrificed time switching from filling a tank to charging a car. However everyone has different situations. If you have a 50kW charger near your work or home and can just have it sit there, you should be absolutely fine.

Hopefully with the bill for $5 billion in grants for getting more EV chargers in the public will fix that but as it is now, EA has the highest speed chargers that aren't locked to a single car brand

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
Theoretically I think if I still wanted an EV I could probably do a Tesla with the charging network, its no mach e but EV's are just far more fun. I imagine in a few years the other companies public charging will be much better
Looking at the map of dc fast chargers for the OP's planned location I have to admit that as of now the Tesla is better suited for a BEV owner who does not have Level 2 charging at home. I do not know Tesla's Supercharger cost per kwh. Hopefully more chargers will be added in the next 24 months.

WWJPD

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I went for just over a week before my L2 charger was installed and I was fretting relying on L1 only and a single stop at a EA DCFC station 30min away. I’ve found 50kw chargers live EVGo or Greenlots are good, but I just can’t imagine relying on Chargepoint 6kw or 9kW chargers at the local grocery store. Maybe at work where you can leave it for 4 hours.

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
Anyone have any luck with Zef I tried to use one for the first time but if I didn't hold it in tight it would keep disconnecting.
Sponsored