DCFC in America - it’s falling apart

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Not to derail, but I would have preferred that all the money being poured into these new EV tax credits would have been poured into more fortification of the national electrical grid and national charging infrastructure in a very high-profile way.

I'm sitting on my hands to see a glut of EVs hit the market because people are so underwhelmed with their experience because they didn't do their homework regarding charging.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Well, to be honest I think it's all related.
It is. I forgot the winkie after my comment too, so I'm glad you reacted that way.

I haven't watched the video yet, so I don't have a purpose here other than to bump the thread.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not to derail, but I would have preferred that all the money being poured into these new EV tax credits would have been poured into more fortification of the national electrical grid and national charging infrastructure in a very high-profile way.

I'm sitting on my hands to see a glut of EVs hit the market because people are so underwhelmed with their experience because they didn't do their homework regarding charging.
All 50 states have submitted NEVI plans. Funding will happen soon-ish.
Sadly it seems like everything else in the US… it will a patchwork of different networks and chargers. Florida’s plan didn’t include discussions with Tesla so who knows if they will fund CCS based Superchargers or conversions.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I don't know for sure but I wonder if they are facing issues with free cash flow. They need to maintain their existing chargers while also expand the network to accommodate explosive EV growth and are struggling to do both with potentially small amounts of income from the charging network itself.

I remember reading an article a year or two ago, they were open to selling off parts of company to new owners. It seems like they are now obtaining new investment and partnerships that probably help keep the lights on but it is a fine balance until they have enough people using the chargers that the income can fund further expansion.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I agree it is falling apart, and I knew it would. People argued with me here on the forum about it.

I still believe waiting for a DCFC will become normal sometime this year, and when that happens, owning a BEV will be a burden instead of a pleasure. At least for trips anyway. I hope it doesn't happen because I really like taking my car on trips. But all signs say "yes".

Has anyone watched that video all the way through? It's way too long for me.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
@OutofSpecKyle put together a terrific piece on WTF is going on with American CCS charging infrastructure.

Honestly, Kyle needs an editor. I don't have enough time in my day to spend 90 minutes on each of his videos.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Yup, it was bound to happen. I too wish the funds were spent on charging infrastructure. This issue will turn a lot of Owners off from EVs and it will be here for a while. Fill a car in 10 minutes with gas. Charge an EV for an hour or much longer with charging station demands when they throttle. There is no quick cure. We are talking years to rectify. I follow the Ioniq 5 forum where a person bought one a few weeks ago and already traded it for an ICE due to their miserable charging experiences.

I experienced a broken EVGo, the only DCFC 120 miles from me last week. I lost 2.5 hours of my trip.

Anxious to see how those plugs hold up being continuously used. One good point you cannot drive away while still plugged in.

lastly the labor market to find qualified repair techs must be stretched. They cannot find folks to make fast food, fly plains or treat you in the hospital.

i liked his comment that he Has recommended folks to not buy EV’s (in part for his own selfishness).

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I don't know for sure but I wonder if they are facing issues with free cash flow. They need to maintain their existing chargers while also expand the network to accommodate explosive EV growth and are struggling to do both with potentially small amounts of income from the charging network itself.

I remember reading an article a year or two ago, they were open to selling off parts of company to new owners. It seems like they are now obtaining new investment and partnerships that probably help keep the lights on but it is a fine balance until they have enough people using the chargers that the income can fund further expansion.
No.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/190

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It’s for YouTube revenue
Yup.

He could do the essence in 60 seconds. I rarely watch Youtube videos.

And this is the SECOND thread this is posted in.
Sponsored