Dhruval Shah

First Name
Dhruval
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Hi I'm having issues with my car since its started to get really cold, I mean i left car for just 2/3 hours unplugged and the battery died. The temparature was nearly -15C around that point. Did anyone have the same issue. I had to call roadside assistance and they had to tow it to the dealership.
Sponsored

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Did you try jumping it?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There are multiple posts of 12v batteries dying and people having to be towed. It's unclear if it's a bad batch of 12v batteries or a flaw in Ford's charging algorithm that doesn't charge the 12v from the high voltage battery below a certain temperature, or the 12v battery not being charged while driving, or ...

Some people are buying cheap voltage readers that plug in to monitor their 12v battery. Clearly you not plugging in for a few hours had ZERO to do with your dead battery.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's unclear if it's a bad batch of 12v batteries or a flaw in Ford's charging algorithm that doesn't charge the 12v from the high voltage battery below a certain temperature
Apparently, the 12V battery doesn't charge from the HVB when the car is parked, unplugged, and the temp is below -15C (5F). Since this appears to be by design, I guess it's not a flaw, but certainly not ideal. That being said, if the car was just driven a few hours before, it sounds like something else is going on here.

OP
OP
Dhruval Shah

Dhruval Shah

First Name
Dhruval
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
There are multiple posts of 12v batteries dying and people having to be towed. It's unclear if it's a bad batch of 12v batteries or a flaw in Ford's charging algorithm that doesn't charge the 12v from the high voltage battery below a certain temperature, or the 12v battery not being charged while driving, or ...

Some people are buying cheap voltage readers that plug in to monitor their 12v battery. Clearly you not plugging in for a few hours had ZERO to do with your dead battery.
Dealership just replaced my 12v battery and the issue still goes on. I mean 3 hours is such a short time for battery to die and they just told me that I'll have to keep it plugged even if i go for short time which is impossible

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealership just replaced my 12v battery and the issue still goes on. I mean 3 hours is such a short time for battery to die and they just told me that I'll have to keep it plugged even if i go for short time which is impossible
Sounds like you either got two bad 12V batteries in a row (unlikely) or something is wrong with your car's 12V charging system.

OP
OP
Dhruval Shah

Dhruval Shah

First Name
Dhruval
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Sounds like you either got two bad 12V batteries in a row (unlikely) or something is wrong with your car's 12V charging system.
Have you had to keep your car outside in such temparature unplugged anytime. Because the dealership keeps saying that all the EVs are built this way. But I'm definitely sure its something wrong with the car.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you had to keep your car outside in such temparature unplugged anytime. Because the dealership keeps saying that all the EVs are built this way. But I'm definitely sure its something wrong with the car.
Yes, I have left my car outside in very cold temperatures unplugged and it has never failed to start. If it was left that way for days, I could see the 12V battery could die, but not after just 3 hours. It's not uncommon for people in cold climates to leave their car in a parking lot at work all day without access to a plug.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
We don't have a garage, so ours is sitting outside in the cold all the time. At home it is usually plugged in, but My wife takes it to work every day and it sits for ~8-9 hours in the cold without being plugged in. No issues so far!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi I'm having issues with my car since its started to get really cold, I mean i left car for just 2/3 hours unplugged and the battery died. The temparature was nearly -15C around that point. Did anyone have the same issue. I had to call roadside assistance and they had to tow it to the dealership.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this on my end.
Sponsored