methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Did the car ever charge the LVB at times when you didn't either (1) have charging scheduled or (2) wake it up some other way? It's an important question whether the Mach E is charging the LVB off the HVB during other times.
I’ve caught mine charging the 12V without any interaction or schedules from me. It has been plugged in the whole time though.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park 9DBF9522-FE6E-4EF2-82B5-9E95AA2232F8
Sponsored

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I don't have the service manual to say for sure but I'm guessing replacing the battery requires removal of more than the rear and left luggage compartment covers that were required just to access the jump connection points. It looks like that cross bar needs removal, which probably requires removal of the left luggage compartment cover. Additionally, it may require removal of the entire Frunk insert (whatever that big plastic tub is called). I doubt Auto Zone would do that in their parking lot!
I am truly in love with the idea of being three degrees of SOL if my battery ever dies on a trip. And then having to find a hotel and get into see a dealer later that week. For a battery.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I am truly in love with the idea of being three degrees of SOL if my battery ever dies on a trip. And then having to find a hotel and get into see a dealer later that week. For a battery.
I guess we will still have to carry 12v booster packs with us in the Mach-E, at least until we regain confidence that this issue is resolved. (Which I am sure will happen very quickly)

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So, I really liked the hopeful message I had received from Ford that they would do everything they could to have Marlin back to me in 24 hours. Alas, that was not to be.

However, Ford has been all over this issue. As I reported yesterday, Ford engineers were in touch with the management and service department at Koons. The tech at Koons ran diagnostics, presumably coached by Ford engineers, working to find the problem. Of course, the car showed lots of system errors -- no surprise considering the 12v had tanked and system tests failed. They got those cleared and ran more diagnostics.

Today, a Ford engineer spent a couple of hours at Koons with my car, running more diagnostics and tests. The engineer left and was going to consult with the Mach E engineering team. The folks at Koons are awaiting word back from Ford engineers.

This buggered my plans a bit. I was due to take Marlin to Atomic Auto Salon yesterday for PPF and ceramic. I pushed off drop-off to today, now I've had to reschedule as TBD. This may get tight to have everything done in time to leave on the 28th to drive Marlin to Florida.

While these reports sound nice and calm, I've been anything but calm inside. If it weren't for the planned trip, I wouldn't be so concerned about timing, especially since we kept our Leaf and have 3 vehicles. Koons Ford did offer me a loaner if I need one but they probably don't want to loan me a car for a trip to FL. :p

Besides, their FCTP isn't in yet and part of the FL trip is to test the Mach E on a long-distance road trip, including multiple DCFC stops. I'll go back to fretting on my own and fill y'all in as I know more.
My dealer says they are still waiting for Ford. I not sure what has been done, dealer says little since no one has showed up from Ford yet. It sits and waits, but at least I have a loaner MME. I am going to add to my delivery thread my experience differences because the FE out preforms it. PS - having a loaner is a good experience, I suggest folks seek out dealers who are allowing for overnights.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
So, I really liked the hopeful message I had received from Ford that they would do everything they could to have Marlin back to me in 24 hours. Alas, that was not to be.

However, Ford has been all over this issue. As I reported yesterday, Ford engineers were in touch with the management and service department at Koons. The tech at Koons ran diagnostics, presumably coached by Ford engineers, working to find the problem. Of course, the car showed lots of system errors -- no surprise considering the 12v had tanked and system tests failed. They got those cleared and ran more diagnostics.

Today, a Ford engineer spent a couple of hours at Koons with my car, running more diagnostics and tests. The engineer left and was going to consult with the Mach E engineering team. The folks at Koons are awaiting word back from Ford engineers.

This buggered my plans a bit. I was due to take Marlin to Atomic Auto Salon yesterday for PPF and ceramic. I pushed off drop-off to today, now I've had to reschedule as TBD. This may get tight to have everything done in time to leave on the 28th to drive Marlin to Florida.

While these reports sound nice and calm, I've been anything but calm inside. If it weren't for the planned trip, I wouldn't be so concerned about timing, especially since we kept our Leaf and have 3 vehicles. Koons Ford did offer me a loaner if I need one but they probably don't want to loan me a car for a trip to FL. :p

Besides, their FCTP isn't in yet and part of the FL trip is to test the Mach E on a long-distance road trip, including multiple DCFC stops. I'll go back to fretting on my own and fill y'all in as I know more.
Sorry man. On the bright side, at least it’ll be warm in FL, and there shouldn’t be a high concern of your LVB dying. I’m pulling for you and Marlin!

Last edited:

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’ve caught mine charging the 12V without any interaction or schedules from me. It has been plugged in the whole time though.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park 9DBF9522-FE6E-4EF2-82B5-9E95AA2232F8
Good to know, thanks.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Battery replacement is probably a QuickLane service. Doubt it would take that long. Good news is there are Ford dealers everywhere.

However, I do take your point. It shouldn't be that hard to change a battery.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My dealer says they are still waiting for Ford. I not sure what has been done, dealer says little since no one has showed up from Ford yet. It sits and waits, but at least I have a loaner MME. I am going to add to my delivery thread my experience differences because the FE out preforms it. PS - having a loaner is a good experience, I suggest folks seek out dealers who are allowing for overnights.
My dealer's service department hasn't been overly informative either.

So what's your loaner car? Obviously not an E4X.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sorry man. On the bright side, at least it’ll be warm in FL, and there shouldn’t be a high concern of your LVB dying. Who k no wow though. I’m pulling for you and Marlin!
Thanks. Just gotta get Marlin out of service so I can head south!

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Battery replacement is probably a QuickLane service. Doubt it would take that long. Good news is there are Ford dealers everywhere.

However, I do take your point. It shouldn't be that hard to change a battery.
I’ve never seen a quick lane before. Just looked, there are 4 in Upstate NY. Might be different somewhere else.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My dealer's service department hasn't been overly informative either.

So what's your loaner car? Obviously not an E4X.
http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin=3FMTK3SS3MMA01651

They were not happy having to loan it out, I doubt it will a be regular thing. I had the Ford Focus for two days prior and thank you know who for this opportunity.

Its a head turner :cool: courtesy of my security cameras.

Props to Fullerton Ford in NJ - PS I think they have one for sale.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.53.40 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.55.19 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.56.31 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Marlin's Dead Low Voltage Battery (LVB) -- Followed by Stuck in Park Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.58.34 PM

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer