TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
This is why I’ve not been a fan of allowing the charging stations to control the timing of the charge (instead of the EV controlling charge timing) - the EV periodically needs juice to warm up HVB, charge the LVB, etc.... In my view, it’s best to have the juice ready/supplied by the charging station.
I agree. My other half wants to make sure the car can only charge during off-peak (to save on the electric bill). But I'm thinking ... this First Edition is basically a $60k car (more if you count the taxes, registration, etc.) Do I really want to risk the complications of allowing my 12v battery to go low because I want to save a few pennies per day by forcing the moderate amount of 12v battery maintenance charging to only happen at night? I'm fine waiting to off-peak to charge the big battery ... but I want the little battery to be maintained whenever the car wants to charge it.

A lot of important stuff relies on the health of that 12v battery. The car puts most stuff to sleep when you shut it off. But a few things have to keep running (cellular modem, bluetooth radio, alarm, battery management, etc.)

If Ford sends an OTA update, the computer responsible for managing the update runs on that 12v battery. I wouldn't want the 12v battery to have insufficient power to complete an OTA update.

When you connect the car to a wall charger, the car has to talk to the charger to learn how much power it is allowed to draw before it begins charging. The computer responsible for that runs on that 12v battery. This means if the 12v battery were allowed to get so low that the computer can't operate... plugging the car in would mean it would not charge (until you manually charge the 12v battery by opening the frunk and connecting an AGM battery charger).
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree. My other half wants to make sure the car can only charge during off-peak (to save on the electric bill). But I'm thinking ... this First Edition is basically a $60k car (more if you count the taxes, registration, etc.) Do I really want to risk the complications of allowing my 12v battery to go low because I want to save a few pennies per day by forcing the moderate amount of 12v battery maintenance charging to only happen at night? I'm fine waiting to off-peak to charge the big battery ... but I want the little battery to be maintained whenever the car wants to charge it.

A lot of important stuff relies on the health of that 12v battery. The car puts most stuff to sleep when you shut it off. But a few things have to keep running (cellular modem, bluetooth radio, alarm, battery management, etc.)

If Ford sends an OTA update, the computer responsible for managing the update runs on that 12v battery. I wouldn't want the 12v battery to have insufficient power to complete an OTA update.

When you connect the car to a wall charger, the car has to talk to the charger to learn how much power it is allowed to draw before it begins charging. The computer responsible for that runs on that 12v battery. This means if the 12v battery were allowed to get so low that the computer can't operate... plugging the car in would mean it would not charge (until you manually charge the 12v battery by opening the frunk and connecting an AGM battery charger).
Right. So use your car to control your charging times, not the EVSE. Allow the EVSE to operate whenever the car wants it to.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

Or... Let Ford fix the 12v issue, and use the car w/o thinking about the LVB. If they fail to fix it and the LVB dies on a regular basis when using the car like its intended, then its bad design and you can either alter your charging behavior, or get a different care.

I don't have off-peak power but if I did, I would schedule it to charge off-peak only. I feel like we all want to be nerdy and technical with the car and try to game it. But the fact is, no where does it say plug the car in whenever its not actively being used.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Is there a way to know if the software has been updated at the dealership?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm fine waiting to off-peak to charge the big battery ... but I want the little battery to be maintained whenever the car wants to charge it.
If everything is working properly, the car doesn’t have to be plugged in to charge the 12v battery. It will just use a small amount of power from the HVB instead of the wall.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You can always set 2 times. Like a 30-minute window at 9pm and the remainder of the charge starting at 2am or something. That might force the 12V battery to be checked and charged both times.

Or as someone suggested, schedule a precondition of the vehicle in the middle of the night.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
You can always set 2 times. Like a 30-minute window at 9pm and the remainder of the charge starting at 2am or something. That might force the 12V battery to be checked and charged both times.

Or as someone suggested, schedule a precondition of the vehicle in the middle of the night.
Those steps should not be necessary if the software update has fixed the issue.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Is there a way to know if the software has been updated at the dealership?
Yes and No. you can ask them to check if your VIN is flagged under any bulletins. But I that list of VINs accurate we won’t really know. I checked this with my dealer and he confirmed that my VIN was not flagged. I trust he did a check. But I know if I feel fully secure that that info is accurate.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Those steps should not be necessary if the software update has fixed the issue.
Oh for sure. This is all just precaution talk now amidst the concern the LVB problem is experiencing on some of them. And many people are wondering if theirs might be affected.

Until Ford announces and implements a sure fix, there will be some lingering concern. And some buyers might choose to take extra precautions to keep the 12V charged just in case.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

I've had my car now for over two weeks. I set it up to charge nightly to 90% (just reduced that to 80% since I don't even need 90% at the moment).

Every time I take a drive I plug it back in when I get home.

So far:
  • My LVB has been nice and healthy with no issues
  • Right at my night time start the car begins charging the HVB
  • When the car is sitting waiting to charge or after its full I'll frequently hear it power up and run for a good 30 minutes or so warming the HVB or charging the LVB (The contactors close on the EVSE and it reads how long they have been closed)
The more this goes on the more confident I am in my car. No issues so far.

I do have one of the 12V meters plugged into the cig socket in the armrest and I've never seen it read below 11.9V (11.9V was driving when everything was drawing current).

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
Right. So use your car to control your charging times, not the EVSE. Allow the EVSE to operate whenever the car wants it to.
So, does that require using the ford pass app? I was going to ignore it for a while since it is so problematic, and just use the fob. I have a a ChargePoint charger and was going to use it's app. That is not such a good idea?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
So, does that require using the ford pass app? I was going to ignore it for a while since it is so problematic, and just use the fob. I have a a ChargePoint charger and was going to use it's app. That is not such a good idea?
You can do all the charging setup on the screen in the car. Ford Pass app not required.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

If the car IS plugged in, then instead of drawing power from the big battery it will pull the power from the EVSE.

So, is the DC/DC converter also an inverter?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

I don't think this makes sense. My off-peak hours are 19 hours a day. I think worst case is 10-12 hours a day. If the car can't go 12 hours without being plugged in, then the design is total crap. I've no plans to go on long trips, but those that do, will have their not charging for far longer than that. Also if the car is not plugged, the 12V battery should be maintained by the HVB, so should not be causing a problem. Finally, I would prefer that the car not try to update it's software without at least telling me. Connectivity in a garage may be iffy, so i'd prefer that it try to download updates under open skies.