Dealer add on junk (alarm, tint, paint protection, edge guards, etc) when you picked up your MME ?

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Has anyone faced a situation where your ordered MME with $0 ADM ended up upon delivery, the dealer adding on junk accessories and be forced to pay for this?

I have seen on car dealer lots:
Nitrogen tire fill
Wheel locks
$2,995 cheapo alarm
$1,500 paint protection or tint
$500 plastic door edge guards
$400 door handle clear plastic stickers

I ask if this is legally allowed and can it be requested to be removed and pay MSRP ?

Bronco-OB-sticker-sames.jpg
Sponsored

mjs020294

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Its their car to sell. You can try and negotiate the price down but they are doing nothing illegal.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Correct. Yes, some have had this issue.

That's a dealership you should consider boycotting for life, because most of those things are near worthless.

ricksta6

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
My dealer added on the AllState Paint & Fabric Protection and Theft Protection packages and refused to remove either. Apparently they apply the Paint & Fabric protection as soon as the vehicle comes off the truck. I was not pleased they did this and didn't give the buyer an option, but I was able to talk them down a bit on price since I saw no value...though it still brought it over MSRP...

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Its their car to sell. You can try and negotiate the price down but they are doing nothing illegal.
No it's not a dealer stock, demo, mannequin, nor customer abandoned order.
I am talking about a customer order that was placed with Ford.com - not the dealer's inventory.

Is it allowed that a custom ordered customer vehicle can be jacked up with nonsense junk on it ?

Would you allow that if YOU ordered it without the junk addons ?

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
That was one problem I did not have with my purchase. The one thing the dealership I dealt with did right, no addons at all other than legally required taxes and fees.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Ask them BEFORE your car arrives not to install any add-ons. They may do it anyway, but at least then they can't say that it's already done and they can't uninstall them.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No it's not a dealer stock, demo, mannequin, nor customer abandoned order.
I am talking about a customer order that was placed with Ford.com - not the dealer's inventory.

Is it allowed that a custom ordered customer vehicle can be jacked up with nonsense junk on it ?

Would you allow that if YOU ordered it without the junk addons ?
Yes, it is totally legal.
Yes, some dealers do this on "custom ordered customer vehicles". Nothing special about an ordered vehicle.
No, I would not do business, ever, with any dealership that added this crap on. And never have in 40+ years of owning vehicles.

You live in SOCAL. This is a dealer in Texas. Why do you care what they do? It's not your car we're talking about, is it?

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Has anyone faced a situation where your ordered MME with $0 ADM ended up upon delivery, the dealer adding on junk accessories and be forced to pay for this?

I have seen on car dealer lots:
Nitrogen tire fill
Wheel locks
$2,995 cheapo alarm
$1,500 paint protection or tint
$500 plastic door edge guards
$400 door handle clear plastic stickers

I ask if this is legally allowed and can it be requested to be removed and pay MSRP ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer add on junk (alarm, tint, paint protection, edge guards, etc) when you picked up your MME ? Bronco-OB-sticker-sames
HOLY CRAP, they are adding 50% to the MSRP on this Bronco for ADM?!! That is nuts!

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Yes, it is totally legal.
Yes, some dealers do this on "custom ordered customer vehicles". Nothing special about an ordered vehicle.
No, I would not do business, ever, with any dealership that added this crap on. And never have in 40+ years of owning vehicles.

You live in SOCAL. This is a dealer in Texas. Why do you care what they do? It's not your car we're talking about, is it?
The photo I used was found on a Bronco forum.

I have visited So Cal dealers and saw the same type of sticker next to the Monroney sticker on dealer inventory & customer abandoned vehicles.

Annoying to see dealers add on junk they try to pass on as value added items.

Yes I would not do business with a dealer that does this to a customer specified, customer special order.

I will make sure when my ordered MME and F150L vehicles leaves Ford, to get it in writing from my local dealer NOT to add on junk accessories....

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
You Have to treat your dealer like a new puppy and train him to do everything correctly or you have to pick a new dealer You have to tell him before the vehicle arrives not to put any of that crap on it and if he won’t do it you have to pick a new dealer.

Dealers can do anything they want to cars in stock and sell them at any price they care to ....but the situation is a little different if you order it you have to exercise your rights and be firm

Jes sayin. That dealer is a pinhead

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
They put on those "forced add ons" to say they are not doing dealer market up when they really are doing dealer mark up.
A year ago when I got mine I made a point to say I wanted nothing added to my car. I will say if you can avoid having the dealer adding tint avoid it. All the dealer does is outsource it and you can get it cheaper and better done 3rd party.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The photo I used was found on a Bronco forum.

I have visited So Cal dealers and saw the same type of sticker next to the Monroney sticker on dealer inventory & customer abandoned vehicles.

Annoying to see dealers add on junk they try to pass on as value added items.

Yes I would not do business with a dealer that does this to a customer specified, customer special order.

I will make sure when my ordered MME and F150L vehicles leaves Ford, to get it in writing from my local dealer NOT to add on junk accessories....
Just to be clear, this is nothing new. Nothing specific to EVs. Dealers have done this forever. And ordering vehicles is nothing new. Dealers have done that for customers forever.

I bought an Explorer in 1998. Dealership put an anti-theft system in each vehicle as it came off the truck. You didn't have to buy it, they would disable it, but it was still there.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
I just texted my salesman and said WHEN my car comes in NO ADD-ONS only what was installed at factory.. He just replied. We don't do that on Mach-E... Got it in writing!

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just tested my salesman and said WHEN my car comes in NO ADD-ONS only what was installed at factory.. He just replied. We don't do that on Mach-E... Got it in writing!
So he passed the test? 🤔
Sponsored