Dealer Doc Fee with Xplan in NC

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Went through this BS with my dealer last night--$798 doc fee, no negotiating according to the sales manager. I told him that is not the rule, and he said "the burden of proof is on you!" SO, I showed him the rules. Still said no. Finance guy was a smarter fellow, and he read the rules and agreed with me. Taking it up with the owner of the dealership when he returns on Thursday. If they truly are "double dipping," I am going to raise a huge stink and get them kicked out of the program. I hate dealerships. They had a charge for $350 on there. I asked what it was and they said something about "window etching." NOPE! I didn't ask for that(whatever it is) and there is no f-in way I am paying for it.
You should report the Sales Manager to the GM. Saying to the customer, "the burden of proof is on you!" is something that should never be said to a customer. Ever.
Sponsored

Fatawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-250 Tremor, 2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am not one to give up when I feel I am getting hosed. Something about the dealer's attitude on this doc fee thing just pisses me off. So, I am going to keep pursuing it. Here is the applicable NC law that I think is what they hang their hat on:

"Notwithstanding the terms of any contract, franchise, novation, or agreement, it shall be unlawful for any manufacturer, manufacturer branch, distributor, or distributor branch to prevent, attempt to prevent, prohibit, coerce, or attempt to coerce, any new motor vehicle dealer located in this State from charging any administrative, origination, documentary, procurement, or other similar administrative fee related to the sale or lease of a motor vehicle. It shall further be unlawful for any manufacturer, manufacturer branch, distributor, or distributor branch, notwithstanding the terms of any contract, franchise, novation, or agreement, to prevent or prohibit any new motor vehicle dealer in this State from participating in any program relating to the sale of motor vehicles or reduce the amount of compensation to be paid to any dealer in this State, based upon the dealer's willingness to refrain from charging or reduce the amount of any administrative, origination, documentary, procurement, or other similar administrative fee related to the sale or lease of a motor vehicle."

In other words, Ford can't limit doc fees charged by the dealer. That's fine. However, Ford CAN and DOES limit the fees charged TO THE X-PLAN CUSTOMER and then reimburses the dealer the difference. In my case, I should have paid $100 and Ford given the dealer $698 for $798 total. My dealer appears to be double dipping--I pay, and Ford pays. I have not confirmed that yet, but it appears to be so. Nothing in the statute prevents a NC dealer from following the Ford Partner rules of:

. In states that permitted more than $100 and also required that all customers be charged the same amount, dealers may charge the Plan customer $100 and indicate any additional fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.

Fatawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-250 Tremor, 2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
General manager turns out to be just as big a scumbag as sales manager. He said he tried to "unwind" my purchase but title was already in my name! You bet he did. I am sure he had $5,000 of ADM on his mind. Avoid Asheville Ford. They suck.

kd-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Pending) Mach-E Premium
Country flag
General manager turns out to be just as big a scumbag as sales manager. He said he tried to "unwind" my purchase but title was already in my name! You bet he did. I am sure he had $5,000 of ADM on his mind. Avoid Asheville Ford. They suck.
Wow, that's truly bad.

I talked to somebody from Ford's social media department but basically got nowhere - they just referred me back to the X-Plan line I already called where they told me NC was the exception. At this point I think anyone in NC should confirm, in writing, what the doc fees are before making an order at any particular dealer.

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
They were good to work with. I think they have a $350 or so non negotiable fee for some garbage you don’t need, but compared to other dealerships it was palatable. Easy in and out. They beat my CU rate, so I financed with them.
Overall, I was happy. Salesman was very good, I’ll have to look up his name.
Thanks for this feedback. Also have a Premium AWD ER on reserve through Crossroads. So far so good. Sales rep told me average wait time was 12 weeks from order date though which was beyond hilarious - still went ahead and reserved with them (better than University imo).

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
Thanks for this feedback. Also have a Premium AWD ER on reserve through Crossroads. So far so good. Sales rep told me average wait time was 12 weeks from order date though which was beyond hilarious - still went ahead and reserved with them (better than University imo).

Larry Curtisford was his name. Nice guy.
Sponsored