Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Winter is coming.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
  • Manager offered less than the existing offer INCLUDING THE TAX BENEFIT and refused to bring their offer up to be equal. Closest they would go was around $500 less than I would get if I sold myself (again, including tax benefit.) Therefore I said we would just sell it ourselves and to proceed with the purchase of our ordered Mach E.
If that's the game they play, ask to get your items from the car. Then take anything you can from it, spare tire, headrests, etc. You might be able to get your $500 back.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You should never get into the situation where you can't walk away from a deal. Sounds like that's where you landed, intentionally or by accident.
This is horrible advice for the OP. Sales manager gave 2 choices, buy a car his trade or walk. If he walks, he won't have a car. Can't just go to the next dealer that has his exact car in stock with A/Z pricing.

I bet if OP says, "let me call my lawyer and see what he says about you demanding my trade in when I denied your offer", he wouldn't have to trade in to buy the Mach-E.

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
I’d call the general manager of the dealership and let him know what you experienced, like you outlined here, and that his survey will reflect these thoughts. Just so he knows.

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
My sales guy was a useless middle man in this. Had zero power and was just doing as he was told. It’s the manager I have a problem with.
Useless middlemen sums up what dealerships are entirely. That sales guy should be working directly for Ford giving you the fixed price of the car without all this bullshit.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This is horrible advice for the OP. Sales manager gave 2 choices, buy a car his trade or walk. If he walks, he won't have a car. Can't just go to the next dealer that has his exact car in stock with A/Z pricing.

I bet if OP says, "let me call my lawyer and see what he says about you demanding my trade in when I denied your offer", he wouldn't have to trade in to buy the Mach-E.
The OP didn't have to mention that he had a trade. He could have been doing the paperwork, with it in front of him, and then brought it up.

new to mach-e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-e select
Country flag
Problem is customers cave in to easy. When I picked up mine in august, they wanted to "force" me to a $279, wheel lock set, they said "every vehicle sold has one" I said, no, I didn't order it, don't want it, after back and forth, we settled at $79... then with the finance manager, he says, "we already applied the $499, interior package"... I said, I don't want it, take it off, he kept quiet and removed the charge.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The OP didn't have to mention that he had a trade. He could have been doing the paperwork, with it in front of him, and then brought it up.
OP already did the test drive and got the OTD price without the trade the day prior. He brought the trade in to see if they could match the next day. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is the sales manager requiring the trade in without consent from the buyer. That's the first I've heard of that. (Buyer finally caved in, therefore giving consent)

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Make sure you provide as many details as possible on the official Ford Survey. I would also highly recommend you leave a Google review with your most accurate rating and description.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
Name the dealer. I harm to you if it is truth
If that's the game they play, ask to get your items from the car. Then take anything you can from it, spare tire, headrests, etc. You might be able to get your $500 back.
Seriously.

All kinds of thoughts went through my head during the conversation with the sales manager. I can admit that I get pissed off quick and it took all of my strength to not fly off the handle. I realized that the ignorant sales manager had all the control at that moment and logic was not going to work on someone like them. I’m just glad it was only $500 I was cheated out of. That said they’ll likely only make a few grand on our trade in based on what I see similar vehicles listed for on Autotrader and the Carvana offer was a good bit higher than all the other car buying sites.

Just to remind anyone that missed it, I was not trying to force the dealer to take my trade in. I only requested them to match or just buy my Mach E on its own. A completely normal request.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
yeah. First step is moving my Maverick order to a different dealer tomorrow and then the reviews.
You won't be able to move your Mav order to a different dealer. Ford won't let you. 23MY order banks have already closed so you won't be able to order one either.

If you want the Maverick tread carefully especially when filling out this survey.
Sponsored