Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Seriously.

All kinds of thoughts went through my head during the conversation with the sales manager. I can admit that I get pissed off quick and it took all of my strength to not fly off the handle. I realized that the ignorant sales manager had all the control at that moment and logic was not going to work on someone like them. I’m just glad it was only $500 I was cheated out of. That said they’ll likely only make a few grand on our trade in based on what I see similar vehicles listed for on Autotrader and the Carvana offer was a good bit higher than all the other car buying sites.

Just to remind anyone that missed it, I was not trying to force the dealer to take my trade in. I only requested them to match or just buy my Mach E on its own. A completely normal request.
If I am reading and understanding this thread correctly, I can't believe that any dealership would entertain any "deal" with a trade in so far out.

When I ordered my MME back in November, I asked the Dealership at the time what my trade in would be worth. He laughed and said that there was no way they could tell what it would be worth a few months down the road. I assumed as much and crossed my fingers and waited.

As time drew nearer ( I knew the car was coming in a few weeks), I called back to see what my trade in would be worth and they said 13K after looking at it. At that time, anything over 14K privately would be more than a 13 K trade with sales tax factored in.

I listed and sold my car privately for 15K.

To make a long story short, there was no car to trade at the end of the day and I got exactly what was promised from the Dealership.

IMO looking forward, I would never sign anything on any trade until the day of purchase if I were you.

In any event, hopefully you enjoy your ride!!!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You won't be able to move your Mav order to a different dealer. Ford won't let you. 23MY order banks have already closed so you won't be able to order one either.

If you want the Maverick tread carefully especially when filling out this survey.
Several Mach-E forum members successfully moved orders to another dealer with a phone call to Ford.

Your last sentence is simply wrong. If the OP has an accepted order, and the dealer agreed in writing to sell the Maverick on the Z-Plan the OP has, and then refuses to sell it for a bad survey, the OP can document all this to Ford and the dealer will not be in a good situation for future allocations or becoming a new EV dealer with Ford.

I would never want to have a dealer have this kind of power. I'd move my order.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
You won't be able to move your Mav order to a different dealer. Ford won't let you. 23MY order banks have already closed so you won't be able to order one either.

If you want the Maverick tread carefully especially when filling out this survey.
that’s not true.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I am reading and understanding this thread correctly, I can't believe that any dealership would entertain any "deal" with a trade in so far out.

When I ordered my MME back in November, I asked the Dealership at the time what my trade in would be worth. He laughed and said that there was no way they could tell what it would be worth a few months down the road. I assumed as much and crossed my fingers and waited.

As time drew nearer ( I knew the car was coming in a few weeks), I called back to see what my trade in would be worth and they said 13K after looking at it. At that time, anything over 14K privately would be more than a 13 K trade with sales tax factored in.

I listed and sold my car privately for 15K.

To make a long story short, there was no car to trade at the end of the day and I got exactly what was promised from the Dealership.

IMO looking forward, I would never sign anything on any trade until the day of purchase if I were you.

In any event, hopefully you enjoy your ride!!!
You misunderstand. The trade in conversation didn’t happen until the day we bought the Mach E.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
that’s not true.
Yes it is. I own a Mav and have been hanging out on MTC for the past year and half. Several members over their have tried moving their order to a different dealer because of shady practices like this crap dealer you have is doing.

Ford will not let you move a Maverick order to another dealer.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
You misunderstand. The trade in conversation didn’t happen until the day we bought the Mach E.
So if I understand this correctly now, you had a signed purchase agreement w/o a trade in and then you asked "if I were to trade" (the day of purchasing it), the Dealership not only said yes, we would like it, but yes, this is the offer and this is the only way you will get your hands to the key of the MME?

If this is true, this seems crazier than my original interpretation.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So if I understand this correctly now, you had a signed purchase agreement w/o a trade in and then you asked "if I were to trade" (the day of purchasing it), the Dealership not only said yes, we would like it, but yes, this is the offer and this is the only way you will get your hands to the key of the MME?

If this is true, this seems crazier than my original interpretation.
Exactly how it went down. I signed a purchase agreement on Saturday that did not include a trade in. Came back on Sunday with the trade in vehicle did the back and forth on trade in offer and when I said I’d just sell it myself they said they now refuse to sell the Mach E. Talked with the sales manager in the tinted office face to face who was a complete ass and doubled down on no Mach E without my trade in.

attached is the signed agreement from Saturday. Only I signed it which was a failure on my part but never have I seen this kind of tomfoolery take place

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago. DF556A30-994C-4088-AC9C-7D023E3B1F97

reeflife

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Banking
Country flag
You’ll get a survey from Ford about your experience. Let ‘em have it.
I would reserve that comment since he has another one. He should go talk to the general manager and get the hybrid maverick in writing and explain that you want the second deal to go smoothly and you would be happy to give a great review. Get the second one in writing first.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would reserve that comment since he has another one. He should go talk to the general manager and get the hybrid maverick in writing and explain that you want the second deal to go smoothly and you would be happy to give a great review. Get the second one in writing first.
that’s plan B if getting the Mav moved to a different dealer doesn’t happen in time.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
Exactly how it went down. I signed a purchase agreement on Saturday that did not include a trade in. Came back on Sunday with the trade in vehicle did the back and forth on trade in offer and when I said I’d just sell it myself they said they now refuse to sell the Mach E. Talked with the sales manager in the tinted office face to face who was a complete ass and doubled down on no Mach E without my trade in.

attached is the signed agreement from Saturday. Only I signed it which was a failure on my part but never have I seen this kind of tomfoolery take place

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago. DF556A30-994C-4088-AC9C-7D023E3B1F97
This is one of those times that morally, you did not need to have them sign it. I would not "beat yourself" up over not having them sign it. They obviously were the ones that offered you this "deal" and then had you sign it. One would assume that if someone makes up a contract for you to sign, that it would be implied that they agree to the contract that you signed.

Unfortunately, morals don't apply to contract law per se and this is the position that you were left with.

I personally would never do business with this Dealership in the future. Life is too short to put up with a-holes like this.

I would try to find out who actually owns this Dealership and see what they would imply from the original sales agreement. The owner or owners of the Dealership may not realize that this is going on. (my guess is that they do though) You can't be the first one this happened to.

If you get no satisfaction from that avenue, I would then see if a local news outlet would like to cover a story with misleading sales practices.

Once again, legally you have no grounds to stand on but in the big picture you were swindled by sleaze balls that need to be called out IMO.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
And please name the dealer... The whole point of this thread/forum should be to help people avoid this and punish shady dealers. Otherwise it's just a rant. This shouldn't happen to anyone and definitely shouldn't happen to someone who reads this thread and still has an order there.

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
So the dealer is playing good cop bad cop now?

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
With that signed sheet you actually might want to talk to an attorney and/or BBB... Sure it's not "signed" by management but it sure looks like it's on their letterhead/official doc. I'm no contract attorney but it sure looks like an offer and acceptance aka meeting of the minds. Either way, this makes for an even stronger example of extortion.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Lots of details here but the title is 100% accurate.

• Ordered Mach E at the beginning of the year and had the dealer sign my order agreeing that we would get A/Z plan pricing (I am eligible for Z plan). They have since removed plan pricing from all of their vehicles.
  • Yesterday I test drove it to verify my wife liked it. While there I got the final out the door price with no trade in which I SIGNED. About a $2k discount versus MSRP and I made them remove roughly $1600 worth of BS fees. As a plan member I should never get hit with BS fees nor should any customer for that matter)
  • Today I brought my best non-expired trade in offer with me to the dealership. (I pulled offers daily for our existing vehicle leading up to today.) Our trade in is in excellent condition and was just detailed. The dealer didn't even look at it, they just ran the VIN and put the miles into KBB.
  • Manager offered less than the existing offer INCLUDING THE TAX BENEFIT and refused to bring their offer up to be equal. Closest they would go was around $500 less than I would get if I sold myself (again, including tax benefit.) Therefore I said we would just sell it ourselves and to proceed with the purchase of our ordered Mach E.
  • Manager then told my sales guy that they would NOT sell us the Mach E we ordered.
  • I then spoke with the Manager directly who was a prick and said that Carvana couldn't sell me a new Mach E and doubled down on refusing to sell to us without our trade in.
  • So I caved and am now a should be happy and exicited Mach E owner but the shit the sales manager pulled today has me pissed off. I just don't like being threatened and mistreated for being an informed and prepared buyer.

• Forgot to mention I have a Maverick Hybrid scheduled for production later this year that I ordered through this same dealer. I’m going to looking into moving to a dealer I can trust.

Give them 1 start in the survey you will get, if there is anything you can do to be heard, is actually that survey.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
If I'm reading this right you only lost $500 on the whole deal so put it behind you and enjoy your Mach E.

What happens next time when his Maverick Hybrid arrive and he has nothing to trade in for example? this is a bad experience.
Sponsored