Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
With that signed sheet you actually might want to talk to an attorney and/or BBB... Sure it's not "signed" by management but it sure looks like it's on their letterhead/official doc. I'm no contract attorney but it sure looks like an offer and acceptance aka meeting of the minds. Either way, this makes for an even stronger example of extortion.
Not without a second signature, on the line that says "Management approval".
Sponsored

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Not without a second signature, on the line that says "Management approval".
That's what a local attorney might need to look at. I vaguely remember something along the lines of email signature lines and official docs having some weight. The mere act that it was printed and presented for signature demonstrates the dealer's intent. Plus BBB might not care for about an extra signature.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
What happens next time when his Maverick Hybrid arrive and he has nothing to trade in for example? this is a bad experience.
Agreed.

LTC_HUGH

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Lots of details here but the title is 100% accurate.

• Ordered Mach E at the beginning of the year and had the dealer sign my order agreeing that we would get A/Z plan pricing (I am eligible for Z plan). They have since removed plan pricing from all of their vehicles.
  • Yesterday I test drove it to verify my wife liked it. While there I got the final out the door price with no trade in which I SIGNED. About a $2k discount versus MSRP and I made them remove roughly $1600 worth of BS fees. As a plan member I should never get hit with BS fees nor should any customer for that matter)
  • Today I brought my best non-expired trade in offer with me to the dealership. (I pulled offers daily for our existing vehicle leading up to today.) Our trade in is in excellent condition and was just detailed. The dealer didn't even look at it, they just ran the VIN and put the miles into KBB.
  • Manager offered less than the existing offer INCLUDING THE TAX BENEFIT and refused to bring their offer up to be equal. Closest they would go was around $500 less than I would get if I sold myself (again, including tax benefit.) Therefore I said we would just sell it ourselves and to proceed with the purchase of our ordered Mach E.
  • Manager then told my sales guy that they would NOT sell us the Mach E we ordered.
  • I then spoke with the Manager directly who was a prick and said that Carvana couldn't sell me a new Mach E and doubled down on refusing to sell to us without our trade in.
  • So I caved and am now a should be happy and exicited Mach E owner but the shit the sales manager pulled today has me pissed off. I just don't like being threatened and mistreated for being an informed and prepared buyer.

• Forgot to mention I have a Maverick Hybrid scheduled for production later this year that I ordered through this same dealer. I’m going to looking into moving to a dealer I can trust.
He did that because he already sold your trade in, thats why he put the VIN and milage. I jad a close call with a similar situation. The assistant manager wouldn't come down on the vehicle like he said so I told him to give me my keys back and I am out the door. While waiting a guy with my car on the back of a tow truck said I just bought this Avalon for my daughter isn't it nice. I said yes and it's my car. Then the manager had two pissed people. He sold me the new car for less what he said he could do and broke his pencil and stormed out like a child. I threw the other guy my keys and said hope your daughter enjoys it.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
Update.

I called the special ordering manager who I have a good relationship with and he’s pretty senior at this location. He’s going to refund me the $500 deposit I put down back in February to make up for the $500 they shorted me (was his idea and he thought of it quickly too), lock my Z plan on the MY22 Maverick that is coming, talk to the sales manager that held my Mach E hostage letting him know how he F’d up. He apologized for the guy’s actions, said that they had no legal right to my trade, it was never part of the original deal and even still they can never hold a customer’s order hostage. He also said how the surveys are a big deal and to please not let this one bad apple reflect in that survey.

Last edited:

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago. 1666638335386

Wingman335

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 200, FJ Cruiser, BMW M3
Country flag
Update.

I called the special ordering manager who I have a good relationship with and he’s pretty senior at this location. He’s going to refund me the $500 deposit I put down back in February to make up for the $500 they shorted me (was his idea and he thought of it quickly too), lock my Z plan on the MY22 Maverick that is coming, talk to the sales manager that held my Mach E hostage letting him know how he F’d up. He apologized for the guy’s actions, said that they had no legal right to my trade, it was never part of the original deal and even still they can never hold a customer’s order hostage. He also said how the surveys are a big deal and to please not let this one bad apple reflect in that survey.
Refunding you your own deposit isn't really trying to make things right, is it? He should've knocked $500 off the Maverick to make up for it. I would definitely not be giving all 10s in the survey after this experience.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Refunding you your own deposit isn't really trying to make things right, is it? He should've knocked $500 off the Maverick to make up for it. I would definitely not be giving all 10s in the survey after this experience.
Same. I would still give them a low rating to reflect the experience and hassle. Only a shady dealer would even think that this was ok to begin with. And the "talking to" might just be "damn we got caught."

I would also make sure that you have your "refund" and z-plan in writing. If it were me, I'd still change dealers but if you're going forward you don't want to end up in a similar situation because you "don't have a deposit."

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
Its giving me the $500 back that I was cheated out of. Otherwise that $500 was used as a down payment so them giving me back the deposit which is reducing the purchase price by $500.

wcrann3

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fusion SE
Occupation
Tech
Country flag

• Ordered Mach E at the beginning of the year and had the dealer sign my order agreeing that we would get A/Z plan pricing (I am eligible for Z plan). They have since removed plan pricing from all of their vehicles.
  • Yesterday I test drove it to verify my wife liked it. While there I got the final out the door price with no trade in which I SIGNED. About a $2k discount versus MSRP and I made them remove roughly $1600 worth of BS fees. As a plan member I should never get hit with BS fees nor should any customer for that matter)
  • Today I brought my best non-expired trade in offer with me to the dealership. (I pulled offers daily for our existing vehicle leading up to today.) Our trade in is in excellent condition and was just detailed. The dealer didn't even look at it, they just ran the VIN and put the miles into KBB.
  • Manager offered less than the existing offer INCLUDING THE TAX BENEFIT and refused to bring their offer up to be equal. Closest they would go was around $500 less than I would get if I sold myself (again, including tax benefit.) Therefore I said we would just sell it ourselves and to proceed with the purchase of our ordered Mach E.
  • Manager then told my sales guy that they would NOT sell us the Mach E we ordered.
  • I then spoke with the Manager directly who was a prick and said that Carvana couldn't sell me a new Mach E and doubled down on refusing to sell to us without our trade in.
  • So I caved and am now a should be happy and exicited Mach E owner but the shit the sales manager pulled today has me pissed off. I just don't like being threatened and mistreated for being an informed and prepared buyer.

• Forgot to mention I have a Maverick Hybrid scheduled for production later this year that I ordered through this same dealer. I’m going to looking into moving to a dealer I can trust.
Definitely give these guys a bad review / report this to Ford. Corporate does not support these behaviors.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I thought the $500 deposit was automatically put towards the final purchase price?

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I thought the $500 deposit was automatically put towards the final purchase price?
"Automatically" - well, nothing is automatic... But that's not the OP's problem. He got the $500 deposit.

He's just saying he lost $500 in theory - because the car he wanted to sell for $1500 privately he only got $1000 from the dealer. (I'm using made up numbers...) The dealer held his order hostage unless he sold them his used car.

Refunding the deposit was just a way to give him an extra $500 for his trade-in.

JoeBeach

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium 2WD ER, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Name and shame the dealer. Let everyone here know who this dealer is so they can warn others. When a dealer gives good service name them also. This is the only wy everryone gets to know who they are dealing with.

Gloff

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicles
2023 Mach E RWD X, 2003 BMW Z4, 2013 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Sales Manager
Country flag
Exactly. And my sales guy wasn’t bad. Better than average for sure.
The sales guy's paycheck is almost guaranteed to be tied to the survey. The comments section of the survey is read by the management. Just some food for thought.
Sponsored