Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago.

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
Just to remind anyone that missed it, I was not trying to force the dealer to take my trade in. I only requested them to match or just buy my Mach E on its own. A completely normal request.
In normal times that would be a normal request. However, it's clear from the number of similar threads about dealer abuses that there is a large group that feel they are getting ripped off when they don't get the opportunity to sell an MME at a huge markup. I don't think anyone could have anticipated what happened to you but in this environment there was some risk of that piece going badly. Even with some sales tax implications, it's probably better to leave trades out of it.
Sponsored

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
The sales guy's paycheck is almost guaranteed to be tied to the survey. The comments section of the survey is read by the management. Just some food for thought.
That survey comes from Ford, not the dealership.

Gloff

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicles
2023 Mach E RWD X, 2003 BMW Z4, 2013 Tesla Model S
Occupation
Sales Manager
Country flag
That survey comes from Ford, not the dealership.
The dealership is held to the standard though. As a result, a portion of most salespeople's paychecks are tied to CSI performance. You may think you're penalizing the dealership, and in some ways you are, but the salesperson gets the brunt of the damage. The dealer gets the benefit of survey volume, the salesperson, not so much.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
That's what I was thinking. $500 isn't enough to cry over.
In normal times that would be a normal request. However, it's clear from the number of similar threads about dealer abuses that there is a large group that feel they are getting ripped off when they don't get the opportunity to sell an MME at a huge markup. I don't think anyone could have anticipated what happened to you but in this environment there was some risk of that piece going badly. Even with some sales tax implications, it's probably better to leave trades out of it.
Man, tough crowd.

I'm glad OP posted this. Some dealers play games when buying/selling cars. The more information we have on their tricks, the better. I will know what to do now when I'm in this situation.

Phil Martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity
Country flag
Man, tough crowd.

I'm glad OP posted this. Some dealers play games when buying/selling cars. The more information we have on their tricks, the better. I will know what to do now when I'm in this situation.
Honestly, what do you expect... he's buying a EV right in the middle of a EV mania. There's always going to be tricks, gimmicks, outright lies, etc when buying a car new or used but even more so in this market.
With others going through the wringer, and worse, getting their car, OPs experience wasn't that bad, imo.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just sounds like it's better to keep everything separate. No trade ins, no financing, no anything else...Not possible for everyone of course, but too many upsetting stories posted here.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Its giving me the $500 back that I was cheated out of. Otherwise that $500 was used as a down payment so them giving me back the deposit which is reducing the purchase price by $500.
I hate to ask: Did they provide a document showing total Maverick purchase price reduced by $500? I worry you're going to show up months from now and they'll just treat it like you put zero down and still owe the full price. I'd ask for this and any other commitments from the dealership (in writing) and I'd hang the survey over their head until you get it.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Honestly, what do you expect... he's buying a EV right in the middle of a EV mania. There's always going to be tricks, gimmicks, outright lies, etc when buying a car new or used but even more so in this market.
With others going through the wringer, and worse, getting their car, OPs experience wasn't that bad, imo.
It was bad for him, and that's all that matters!

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
The steps the OP did is the correct way to do a car purchasing transaction. 1. Get out the door price. 2. Tell them you have a trade in. 3. They look at the car and appraise it. 4. They come back with their price and give you the new out the door price. 5. You accept, deny, or renegotiate. The problem is they're not letting him deny the trade in. That's the first time in my life I've heard of that. This is a PSA and I'm glad he posted it.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
There are a lot of requirements for AZ Plan Pricing. It seems like the dealer disregarded a lot of them along the way for you.

If they didn't follow the rules and you don't want to do the survey negatively, you may want to call in to this department and see if you can file a case/complaint.

https://www.myplan.ford.com/myplanweb/jsp/howitworks/myplan_az_rules.htm#overview
https://www.myplan.ford.com/myplanweb/pdf/AXZD-PlanPricingAgreement.pdf

PRICING AND INCENTIVES

• The dealer is required to provide you with a true copy of the factory invoice showing the New Vehicle Purchase Program price on the line labeled AZ-Plan. You should also receive a complete and signed AXZD-Plan Pricing Agreement showing each item and its price. Do not sign this form if it is blank or if you do not understand how the price was calculated. All added items must be documented on this form, including negative equity on vehicle trade and gifts.
  • The AZ-Plan price is the amount shown in the box labeled "AZ-Plan" near the bottom of the factory invoice. The New Vehicle Purchase Program price includes advertising, finance costs, transportation, fuel charges and Company administrative fees. The dealership may not charge extra for these items.
  • The New Vehicle Purchase Program customer is entitled to the price in effect at the time the vehicle was invoiced. Any money refunded to the dealer by Ford Motor Company for price increases occurring after the order is submitted, but before shipment to the dealer, must be refunded to the customer.
  • From time to time the Company may offer incentives or rebates. Unless specifically excluded by the Company, incentives or rebates are available to New Vehicle Purchase Program customers in addition to the Plan price. Ask your dealer for details.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago. 1666727166994

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dealer forced us to trade in current vehicle in order to buy the Mach E we ordered 8 months ago. 1666727226257

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I thought the $500 deposit was automatically put towards the final purchase price?
They don't always remember to do that. And neither did I remember and didn't catch it when we were in the finance office. But once pointed out a few days later, my dealer refunded it fairly quickly.

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They don't always remember to do that. And neither did I remember and didn't catch it when we were in the finance office. But once pointed out a few days later, my dealer refunded it fairly quickly.
This was the case for me too, except it was pointed out by them day of (my dealer was pretty honest with me)

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
This was the case for me too, except it was pointed out by them day of (my dealer was pretty honest with me)
We both remembered that there was a $500 deposit that I needed to be credited for. And we both forgot about it when I was in the finance manager's office signing things.

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag

Correct. That online deposit we all paid is completely new to the dealers and my sales had no clue I paid one until I asked him about it while running numbers. He asked me to print out a receipt showing I had paid $500 back in Feb. which was a non-issue. I just printed out my Ford.com order confirmation.

But yeah, if anyone thinks its automatic they could potentially lose their deposit.

We both remembered that there was a $500 deposit that I needed to be credited for. And we both forgot about it when I was in the finance manager's office signing things.
The only reason I got my deposit credit was because I brought it up. My salesman then told the finance manager before I got in there and then the finance manager asked me where the print out was. (It was in the folder with the hundred other sheets of paper).

OP
OP

Bmr4MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext ordered Feb 2022
Country flag
There are a lot of requirements for AZ Plan Pricing. It seems like the dealer disregarded a lot of them along the way for you.

If they didn't follow the rules and you don't want to do the survey negatively, you may want to call in to this department and see if you can file a case/complaint.

https://www.myplan.ford.com/myplanweb/jsp/howitworks/myplan_az_rules.htm#overview
https://www.myplan.ford.com/myplanweb/pdf/AXZD-PlanPricingAgreement.pdf

PRICING AND INCENTIVES

• The dealer is required to provide you with a true copy of the factory invoice showing the New Vehicle Purchase Program price on the line labeled AZ-Plan. You should also receive a complete and signed AXZD-Plan Pricing Agreement showing each item and its price. Do not sign this form if it is blank or if you do not understand how the price was calculated. All added items must be documented on this form, including negative equity on vehicle trade and gifts.
  • The AZ-Plan price is the amount shown in the box labeled "AZ-Plan" near the bottom of the factory invoice. The New Vehicle Purchase Program price includes advertising, finance costs, transportation, fuel charges and Company administrative fees. The dealership may not charge extra for these items.
  • The New Vehicle Purchase Program customer is entitled to the price in effect at the time the vehicle was invoiced. Any money refunded to the dealer by Ford Motor Company for price increases occurring after the order is submitted, but before shipment to the dealer, must be refunded to the customer.
  • From time to time the Company may offer incentives or rebates. Unless specifically excluded by the Company, incentives or rebates are available to New Vehicle Purchase Program customers in addition to the Plan price. Ask your dealer for details.
1666727166994.png

1666727226257.png
Honestly my dealer doesn't care about that. Accepting Plan pricing is optional and they don't want to anymore (at least for the time being). The ordering manager has my back and I know the rules well enough to defend them. I think they actually charged me less fees than they were supposed to but at the same time I can't prove what the A/Z plan price should really have been. That said, ~$2k seems about right for a $60k Mach E.

I paid the following beyond the vehicle price and tax

Customer Service Fee - $75
Tag/Title - $18
Warranty Right $3

I thought there was supposed to be a $275 administrative fee but maybe it's hidden in the vehicle price.

Last edited: